Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 02:22   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Crocodile assassination

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Tourism is a great solution when used on a small scale but collapses when talking large scale.
- If you are the only town with crocs, tourists will queue up to see them.
- If they are common over a 1500 mile stretch of coast with hundreds of towns, there are not enough tourists to go around.
Yup... the Kakadu Crocs reckon its slim pickings these days... them tourists are getting cunning... Tour guide knew crocs were in billabong - National - www.theage.com.au
Old 25-09-2017, 13:46   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ping, I guess that I am kinda ambivalent: crocs in the Kakadu, OK, crocs in the Mary river near to town, not OK, crocs swimming in the marina in Manly (should that develop) WAY not OK.

Jim
Old 25-09-2017, 14:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
It is the crocodile's natural habitat. Those who don't like crocodiles should not purchase property in the area, and they certainly should not shoot crocodiles (or any other wildlife) of their own volition. In Australia that is illegal, and it is environmental vandalism in any jurisdiction.
So how about Sydney funnelweb spiders? Native to the area, but if you lived there would you be happy to share your home with them?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 14:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So how about Sydney funnelweb spiders? Native to the area, but if you lived there would you be happy to share your home with them?
Kkkkkk???

What, are people allowed to shoot Funnelweb spiders in Sydney?

Or do people in the North of Australia all live in Billabongs?
Old 25-09-2017, 15:21   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... once there were many crocs and few people, then there were many people and few crocs; now there are many people and many crocs.

Something has to give, if the people don't act, the crocs will...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 15:22   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Kkkkkk???

Shoot
Squish
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-09-2017, 15:34   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeah, but Wottie, You can only squish crocs when they're in the eggs. And Momma Croc might not like you doing it.

Ann
Old 25-09-2017, 15:37   #38

^^ err... thinking more about the Funnelwebs SC mentioned!
Old 25-09-2017, 18:51   #39
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I'm definitely not a fan of the 'I'm scared of them, lets kill them' attitude.

Their population may very well need to be controlled but without accurate population and distribution numbers it's just a guess.

The 24m+ feral pigs in Aus are a bigger problem, IMO.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 18:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Kkkkkk???

Or do people in the North of Australia all live in Billabongs?
I can think of someone dumb enough to try shooting a spider.

You'd probably miss, just like you missed the point.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 17:43   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When I was a kid, we went hiking and camping and playing in the woods, even in preserves, with no worries because for the last 200-300 years, folks were busy exterminating wolves and bears and cougars and most of the rattlesnakes too. Even in the '50's, they would hunt and kill feral dog packs.

Now? Thank you bleeding hearts, I need bear-proof food storage cans hung in trees and all sorts of precautions and sometimes the rangers will say "Just don't go there because..."

Conservation, yes. And that means conserving my one favorite apex predator, because there's the apex predator, and everything else is snack food.

You say SHARK. I say GRENADE.

Works for gators, bears, wolves...all manor of conservation projects. I'm not intending to go seek them out and exterminate them, but if they're in my back yard...TFB. Conservation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 20:52   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Fundamental diff between sharks and crocs.... sharks can't chase me down the street....

To be fair, they're an ambush predator. They're quick on land, but only over a short distance. The bigger ones especially.

So they're not really going to chase you down a street I don't think. I'm no expert though. Get some height, stand on a car or climb a tree. If you're in town I'm sure people will notice [emoji51]
Old 27-09-2017, 00:38   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
To be fair, they're an ambush predator. They're quick on land, but only over a short distance. The bigger ones especially.

So they're not really going to chase you down a street I don't think. I'm no expert though. Get some height, stand on a car or climb a tree. If you're in town I'm sure people will notice [emoji51]
I guess that the cow seen being dragged into the Mary river couldn't find a car to stand on... and they are sometimes scarce out in the woop woop.

Really, I don't see why civilized folks should not discourage such critters from attacking them. Their population is burgeoning up in the NT, and they are not in danger as a species just now.

Jim
Old 27-09-2017, 00:49   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I guess that the cow seen being dragged into the Mary river couldn't find a car to stand on... and they are sometimes scarce out in the woop woop.

Really, I don't see why civilized folks should not discourage such critters from attacking them. Their population is burgeoning up in the NT, and they are not in danger as a species just now.

Jim

The cow was just unlucky. In any case, I'm not professing to be the croc avoidance expert.

Regarding discouraging them from attacking, I'm not sure anyone is advocating that. I'm certainly not. There's plenty of advice out there on avoidance and not making yourself easy to predict etc. They're patient and crafty. Sharks don't like to eat us and under normal circumstances just avoid us. Crocs will actively observe you, watch for patterns over days and plan an ambush and have a nice log ready to jam you under in a makeshift meat locker. I love 'straya.

They're still a protected species so what I would like to see is the population data etc....I'm repeating myself but there are people who are responsible for these things and they're likely to have considered a lot of options and are maybe constrained by things we don't know. I'm not saying that they're necessarily right, I'm just saying understanding the existing situation needs to happen before any meaningful, evidence based response can be formulated. And that may include some population control measures, who knows.
Old 27-09-2017, 00:57   #45

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I do live in Sydney. There are half a dozen redbacks literally less than a metre from my front door, and I relocate at least a couple from inside the house every year. It's a bushy suburb, but I have not seen more than a handful of funnelwebs over the years.

Animals have their natural habitats, and attempts to "manage" them almost always end in some kind of ecological mess. They don't need management - they just need to be left alone to let nature do its thing.

In 20 to 50 years from now it is likely that all fauna bigger than a household cat will be at least threatened if not extinct. Even on an economic level it seems pointless to speed up that process by culling animals within their natural habitat. Tourists are money, and tourists will pay to see an ecosystem which is sufficiently healthy to support a croc.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote