Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 23:51   #1
Kai Nui

Cruising Australia

Those who have cruised Australia in recent years have come back with stories of unfair enforcement, and over restrictive regulations. Often, these reports have overshadowed the rewards that Australia has to offer. But what are the facts? Is it worth the hassle?
I have a new show out on this very subject. An interview with our very own Bob Norson delves into the truth about cruising Australia.
Here is the link: http://www.moosemeals.com/seas.htm
You will need a fast connection, and Real Player to listen.
Enjoy.
Old 09-04-2006, 00:17   #2

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Exclamation Cruising OZ

I am an Aussie, and am surprised that stories of corrupt Customs officials are circulating - where cruising yachties are concerned. I guess that wherever you travel, you can be subjected to corruption.

I would, however, say that on the whole, Australia is a great place to visit and that any obstacles overcome to get here will be pale into the distance when you get to enjoy the best Australia has to offer.

Can I suggest to any planning to come "down under" that you ensure you spend time in Sydney, cruising both Sydney Harbour and Broken Bay/Pittwater/Hawksbury River. Your trip to Australia would not be complete without visiting the Whitsunday Islands in Queensland where the Great Barrier Reef can be viewed up close.

Come see us some time, I promise the trip will be worth it!!

Fair winds

Steve

Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:07   #3
Kai Nui

This was the bottom line of the interview. Australia is worth the trouble. Stories of customs officials and restrictions in Oz making for a less than optimal experience are well established. This interview, while acknowledging the problem, points out the benefits, and also gives a good idea on what to expect. It certainly had a positive effect on including Australia in my cruising plans.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:25   #4

Kai.

This is one of your better shows IMHO. I really love it!!

Heard all 3 parts. And Bob Norson was very informative!!
Hope to hear more like that one!! Keep up the good work!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:24   #5
Kai Nui

Thanks K. It was lots of fun. Bob is quite a character. I would say that if anypone has a chance of getting through to the officialdom there, he does.
Old 09-04-2006, 17:58   #6

Yep Kai.

I 've known Bob since he joined this site. "We're mates"!!! :cubalibre

I also supported him during the hurricane that hit Innisfail, Australia. I also sent my humble condolences to his friends as well!!

Oh. And I just happen to be the very first person on this planet to receive his very first print of The Coastal Passage issue about that cyclone incident!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia