Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04   #46

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Cruising Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
great advice about not being agressive and always stay laid back no matter what...even if threatend "remain calm"..dont ever point,particularly with your left hand ..(dont do anything with your left hand) and always keep your hands out of your pockets... and never cross your arms..use your head and your eyes to point at things and if ever you rent a motorcycle or car and you see people around you pushing ther hands down toward the ground they could be asking for a ride or they are warning you off the police who will set up road blocks and extort money from you by creating new laws on the spot in real time,and they are always near a bank so that you can walk and get money if you dont have it on you and they will keep your papers until you return with it..
Hey Tropicalescape, You seem to have lots of experience in these waters, read some of your blogs, we are all envious!!!

What is the significance of the left hand?? Thank god I am right handed and a bum left shoulder.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18   #47

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

One more body language point, don't stand with hands on your hips. I was told it reminded Indonesians of their former colonial masters. And as for hands, most Indonesians being Muslim, the right hand is for eating and the left for wiping. And finding a sit down toilet is a luxury found only in tourist areas.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03   #48

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
The only time i have seen any one get themselves in trouble is when they fire up and get agressive,forget it because you will loose.
Just relax be hospitible and you will and can get what ever you want.
To put a perspective on this a mid level government employee earns $150 per month, if he can get $20,$50 here and there on the side it makes a big difference to thier family.
Help them a little and you will get helped a lot
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Hey Tropicalescape, You seem to have lots of experience in these waters, read some of your blogs, we are all envious!!!

What is the significance of the left hand?? Thank god I am right handed and a bum left shoulder.
Most if not all of my experiance is from doing business with Indons.I would go down and buy anything I thought I could sell to kids in skateboard and surf shops stateside...not only in the indo.archapeligo but worldwide .You will get a fast education in culture and ways of conducting business..Dealing with the former Soviet Union countrys being the toughest row to hoe...its hard to get a former communist to understand trust and relationships that are essential for conducting recipracol business transactions...the biggest problem with the Indos. was that they would use kindness and false friendship to gain your trust and then they would do the time tested and discusting art of the old bait n switch..and when you find out they ripped you off and you approach them then it comes down to insult and a fight of sorts gets started..I have had a little fellow attack me like one of those actors in a martial arts film.He was fast as lightning but so small he could not do much damage(I am only 5"9 and 175lbs)but then a crowd formed and it got pretty intense..things like "we will kill you american" "death to the infidel" and chants in unison..Best to cut your losses and get a new bungalo in another village...if you are not interested in making profits then maybe they dont treat you like that, but I doubt it..samething happens everywhere from what I have seen,they seem to be nationalistic about it thou...have fun and enjoy the ride...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 21:05   #50

Would not bother doing business with them, just enjoy the amazing islands and experience.
Old 16-12-2011, 17:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Would not bother doing business with them, just enjoy the amazing islands and experience.
That's the plan for sure.

Might have found an agent in Pontianak that can help smooth the paperwork and lighten any potential cost burden involved. At least I will know what the price is going in, help with translation as well.

Don't plan on doing a lot of business other than some souvenir hunting and provisioning from the markets of course.

Looking forward to getting away soon.
Old 16-12-2011, 18:05   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter

That's the plan for sure.

Might have found an agent in Pontianak that can help smooth the paperwork and lighten any potential cost burden involved. At least I will know what the price is going in, help with translation as well.

Don't plan on doing a lot of business other than some souvenir hunting and provisioning from the markets of course.

Looking forward to getting away soon.
Please do let us know how if goes. As you know even some of oour most seasoned cruisers around here dont know much about pontianak...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:05   #53

We have found where we go surfing the locals who expect the boats from time to time do incredible wood carvings.
They appreciate clothes such as t shirts and shorts in remote areas as shop dont exist. Usually in small and medium sizes.xl no good as mostly too big for anyone.
Can be second hand, they love it and it practical too.
Old 31-01-2012, 23:19   #54

Back in the world on Bilitung Island, Indonesia and cannot say enough about the gracious people in this country. Everyone has been very kind and helpful including all the Government officials that we have had the pleasure of dealing with. I am not sure if our nationality has anything to do with they way we are treated but I highly doubt that it has anything to do with it. Most people think we are American right away and treat us courteously and with friendship.

Checking in at Pontianac was easy as the harbourmaster, customs and Imigration are all located at the same location right beside the Grand Karimata HotelSouth just before the ferry dock on the South side of the river . The CG even allowed us to tie up alongside for 3 days as we had trouble with our Windlass and the Tidal currents are wicked in the river. Besides with all the freighter traffic anchored in the river there isn't much room for us. While we were there 1 ship swung earlier than the next in line and struck that ship buckling the nose of the ship that he hit. Chinese new year while we were there and the fireworks were endless for the whole time (4 days) starting at dark and lasting until midnight or later. Unfortunately everything closes for this period so it was hard to get repaired as we needed gear oil for the Windlass. In the end a helpful CG officer attained a litre for us so we could get underway.

The officials there were not familiar with the new regulations regarding cruising boats in Idonesia and we had to give them the regulations stating that it was not required to check into and out of every port that you entered after the first port of arrival. Once they read the new rules and made a couple of phone calls there were no problems and cleared us out to our final port at Batam. There were no problems with Customs either with Duty on the boat and no forms were required to be filled out by us. As a matter of fact, the customs guys waited patiently for us to get tied up alongside the CG boat after our anchored dragged in high winds against the prevailing currents.

This was the biggest problem we faced as the boat would not swing in the wind even up to 15-20 knots with the strong currents in the rivers. This caused us problems in a couple of locations as we experienced up to 4 knots of currents during these spring tides in Sarawak Province Malaysia and Kalimantan Indonesia. I will reply again to this forum with more details as we anchored nightly on our cruise from Brunie to Bilitung and found some interesting places.

The most beautiful of all the spots we hit so far was Karimata, a preserve located East of Bilitung. This area had spectacular beaches on the main island and several surrounding islets with 3 villages close by. We anchored on the SouthWest corner in 20 feet of water for 2 days and even managed to tie up alongside the town jetty to take on fuel which was delivered to the dock. 8000 rp litre. One of the local men even helped us fix one of the winches on board and procured a file for us that wed needed to affect repairs.

Sometimes the curious can be a little overwhelming, so if you do not like to have visitors on the boat or to be stared at constantly then this is not the place for you. As I said these people are very friendly and helpful and are constantly greeting you as you walk through their towns or villages. The rest of the world should be so friendly and I think it would be a better place to live. Nothing bad to say about the place so far except the garbage on Kalimantan around the Pontianac area but once you leave that Island things are much cleaner and karimata area and Bilitung are impressive. We had to walk 2 mile in Pontianac to dispose of the garbage off the boat but in Bilitung ther are garbage cans every 200 feet near the wharf.

Would recommend this area of the world to anyone and I am sure that they would enjoy there travels here. Beautiful crafts in the area as well so that you can take some mementos of your trip with you.

Tim
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Great idea to carry the regs with you. Sometimes we mistake corruption for lack of education. Communications from central governments to the provinces are not always reliable.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

so glad that you are having a positive experience. We intend to go this way - one day!!!
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:24   #57

Boat: Peterson 46

Hi Undercutter,

Where did you get a copy of the Indonesia cruising regulations from? Online?

Thanks,
Paul.
sytaniwha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 20:30   #58

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hi Paul, I can scan a copy of the statement from the ministry of tourism about the new regs for cruising yachts and only having to check in and out once, and send them to you once I return to my yacht in Langkawi?
Keith.
Old 27-02-2012, 20:54   #59

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytaniwha View Post
Hi Undercutter,

Where did you get a copy of the Indonesia cruising regulations from? Online?

Thanks,
Paul.
Googled "Indonesia cruising regulations" and got

Permits & Immigration-The Jakarta Offshore Sailing Club
and
http://www.sailindonesia.net/rally/rallypermit.php
Old 28-02-2012, 01:06   #60

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy Paul, I found that this is the most useful document to wave at the officials trying to treat you like a floating ATM, that is, like you are are a charter yacht.

http://www.josc.org/downloads/Transsib.pdf

Cheers from Keith.

Tags
cruising, Indonesia