Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 22:05   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Our current plan is to sail to Japan next year and continue to Alaska. Has anyone stopped at Petropaviovsk or other Russian ports? We are probably trying to fit too much in a short time, but we could be in Japan by May and to reach Kodiak before it gets cold.
Any suggestions?
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 06:21   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42
FWIW fiana and Alvah Simon have an excellant article on cruising Japan on their Rodger Henry from Okinawa to Hokkaido in the July 2010 Edition of Cruising World. It's worth a read...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 07:36   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
We are in Japan, three months now, and it has been a fabulous experience. Came from the Philippines, landed in Ishigaki, and worked our way to Fukuoka. Kind, helpful people, incredible scenery. I love the place.

Only downside, as Canadians, is we only get three-month visas and have to leave the country to renew, so side trips to South Korea. Plan to winter here, so that means a few jaunts. In the winter, we'll take the ferry
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 07:41   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Oh, and it's not that expensive. Most harbours have free, or almost free, mooring, and many marinas offer one or two weeks free to foreign vessels. Real deal. And food is about the same as in the West. Spent more in the Philippines... where value for money was a fraction of what it is in Japan.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 19:49   #20
yap
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 421
Japan

Ahoy out there,
We are at the moment in Japan. In fact it is the 3rd time we make landfall here. See for some read ups: www.syalishan.com and also look for Alishan On The Move.
Twice we came from Guam, this time from the PI and Taiwan. Twice we left via the south, headed for HK.
Cruising in Japan is a charm, okayokay, there are some hick-ups, but one thing for sure makes it so nice: Very few cruising boats. I know why....
One reason is: it's soo expensive! Yes and No. You can spend a lot of yen on food etc, but on the other hand, if you shop around.. Harbor fees can be $$$, but right now we are very comfy at a spot and it costs us $3/day.
Next: The weather? Once you are within Japanese waters, there ar zillion safe spots to sit out a typhoon.
Salute,
yap
yap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Years ago we cruised the west coast of Japan, six or seven months of the best times. So good we didn't leave Hakodate until November and that was a bit late to cross the n pacific. we got hammered. Mind, it was better when headed south of the fortieth. Would have loved to have gone to Alaska, but turned right for Hawaii instead. Matt and Gill on Wooshee did the japan to Alaska last year, loved it so much they wintered the boat there, out the water of course, and flew home to WA. I could post a few of their words if someone thinks it worthwhile.
Cheers,
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46   #22

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Years ago we cruised the west coast of Japan, six or seven months of the best times. So good we didn't leave Hakodate until November and that was a bit late to cross the n pacific. we got hammered. Mind, it was better when headed south of the fortieth. Would have loved to have gone to Alaska, but turned right for Hawaii instead. Matt and Gill on Wooshee did the japan to Alaska last year, loved it so much they wintered the boat there, out the water of course, and flew home to WA. I could post a few of their words if someone thinks it worthwhile.
Cheers,
Definitely worthwhile! We plan to follow this same route in the next couple years and any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:12   #23

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Jack & Jude,
Yes, please post what you have from Wooshee. Do they have a blog or website?

We plan to do that route either next year or the following year, with our boat spending the winter in Kodiak.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Just a note to say I've posted their emails as separate threads.

We met Matt and Gill at the far end of the Berkeley River in the Kimberley back in 07. Crazy how life is. They had just bought Wooshee in Perth and had taken her right across the Great Australian Bight to Tasmania's wild west coast. Surrounded by a bold rocky red gorge they spin tales of going 40 miles up the Gordon River into virgin rainforest and their stories inflamed our desires to do just the same. And when they asked us where we thought was the best in our 15 years of cruising, we told them of our seven months in Japan. They went off to follow our wake, while Banyandah carried on around Australia to complete the very same passage to Hells Gate, Strahan, where we also journeyed up the mighty Gordon.
Who knows where this sharing our ideas and inspirations may take you.

All the best from
Old 03-10-2010, 17:12   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
Jack & Jude,
Yes, please post what you have from Wooshee. Do they have a blog or website?

We plan to do that route either next year or the following year, with our boat spending the winter in Kodiak.
I did post that information from Wooshee in new threads but one of the moderators gave me rap across the knuckles for posting my "Log Books" in the wrong spot. I wrote back and said they weren't "Log books" nor were they mine. Hmm, sorry. If they don't reappear, when I have more time I delve into this mystery a bit deeper.
Old 17-02-2011, 05:59   #26

hello pelagic, i read your post on cruising japan. you mentioned starting out from hk in feb each time. i was under the impression that the headwinds in feb would be a pain. i am planning to start the rip from hk to japan in may this year. wonder what your experience is going up from hk to japan in early spring. did you take the taiwan strait or the pacific ocean side of taiwan on your way to okinawa? and why? thanks. yzlian
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 16:49   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
Getting there is not so easy from US, nor from EU.

Weather can be hard.

Reports are very good.

Apparently a safe country with interesting things to see and friendly locals.

Expensive too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:09   #28

Boat: On the lookout for a PDQ36 :D
Re: Cruising Japan

Hey there!
I'm living in Japan now (been here for 1.5 years). It's one of the places you really have to experience at least once in your life. I've been doing some sailing in Hiroshima bay and Osaka bay and have to say the conditions are great (and I'm from Florida!). There are many yacht clubs located in Shikoku that have cheap moorage and very friendly staff/members. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'll be here until the end of the year so let me know if you end up dropping by. Also, if you're looking for crew and will arrive after my research is finished, I'd be happy to join you and also serve as your tour guide (obviously I speak Japanese). I posted a crew available thread a while ago here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1-a-50639.html

Safe travels and best of luck!
pistolen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57   #29

No problem doing that. Can be done daysailing almost the whole way. See the other threads with Philippines in their titles for more.

I used to live on Okinawa. Civilized, not too expensive, great reefs, snorkling, surfing and cruising in the local "out islands". Lots of English spoken compared to the mainland and and the natives are generally more open to foreigners. Pretty girls and a relatively friendly, inexpensive marina run by the US military but open to all.

Ishigaki is also a jewel. Of course, you will be sitting in the middle of "typhoon alley" so plan your trip well.

Best of luck,

Gone2long
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 00:15   #30

Japan has plenty of great sailing with spectacular mountains and volanic islands around the coastline.

Try these two links for information:

Tokyo Sail & Power Squadron - TSPS Home Port
Tokyo Sail & Power Squadron | Facebook

Feel free to join our mailing list and Like our facebook page!
Yacht Fujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Japan