Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2009, 14:24   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Cyclone Holes in Whitsundays?

Hi Folks

We are heading up to the Whitsundays now, before the end of the cyclone season.

I am looking for some prospective cyclone protected areas to slip into if the weather turns real bad.

Of course I am asking everyone on the way but haven’t got good local information yet. Bundaberg isn’t the cruisers marina I thought it would be!

I know this sort of information can be difficult to share as too many boats in one hole ain't good.

If someone knows from first hand knowledge a good one or 2 between Mackay, the Whitsundays and a days sail north of the Whitsundays I would really appreciate it.

PM me if you don't want a secret spot splattered on the internet

Thanks for your help

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 15:36   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Some common ones are Island Head Creek (military area but accessible if there is no exercises on - at least it used to be) and Nara inlet.

Get hold of the Whitsunday cruising guide - absolute wealth of information.

There are reasonable number of others but I can't recall the exact information. Alan Lucas books are also an excellent source of information.

After 10+ years sailing the Qld coast, I can vouch for the accuracy of both guides.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 15:52   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Mark,

Only fair winds and sunny days and ice cream cones...for you and Nicolle....no worries!

I'm reading some national park information on the Whitsundays and looking at Google earth....wow that looks like a sailors paradise up there!! Gorgeous beaches.
What a blast!!

It doesn't look to be very far from Mackay to the Whitsundays...I'm looking at what looks to be a great anchorage on Hook island...Nara Inlet...
do you have this google earth thingy?

I have absolutely no 1st hand knowledge..but google earth is cool...give us your coordinates...
Old 16-02-2009, 15:54   #4

Wow...I can't believe..I just picked nara inlet ...from America ..without seeing Wotnames post...just from looking at google earth.....I amaze myself....
Old 16-02-2009, 16:06   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Cyclones cause headaches -- avoid 'em

G'Day Mark,

We've been in the Whitsunday area during cyclone season, and it was a big worry to me! Biggest problem is not lack of decent anchorages (although I don't think that any of them are bullet-proof), rather it is too damn many boats, many of which are charter boats. These tend to not be well looked after in harsh weather, either by their charterers or by the charter company itself. So, the cyclone holes advertised in the cruising guides become unsafe IMHO due to overcrowding/poor practices by others.

The marina at Laguna Quays just south of the Whitsundays claims to be cyclone proof, and is likely better than some. I believe that they have some severe silting issues that limit access to deeper draft boats these days. The new developments at Able Point look unsafe to this observer due to inadequate seawall height.

Bottom line?? I don't think we will go back there in the cyclone season. Insatiable II is our home, and we don't like running from named storms if we can avoid them!!

BEsides, the general wx picture there that time of year ain't so crash hot.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Is Funnel Creek still the go?

In the good old days Funnel Creek was considered the go. However This may have changed in the last half century or so.

This Whitsunday Area Brief suggests Trammel Bay, Funnel Bay, Woodcutter Bay and Upper Gulnare Inlet.

My parents moved into the area after the last major cyclone (Aida?) so I am really only going on second hand memories but anything in the path of a significant blow is gone no matter what. Have a look at the pine trees on the islands near Shute.

Near misses may be survivable if there is good holding and the water is deep enough and there is protection from built up waves.

A lot of it is just plain old luck. Those who practice do get more lucky.

If I had Boracay in the area during cyclone season I'd be tempted to leave her in the Bowen Small Boat Harbour if I could get a spot.

You could also have a very good look round using Google Earth.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:36   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Haven't been up it, but these look promising to me, up and around the bends.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Getting in amongst the mangroves is the go in a cyclone , places like Nara etc could/would be very bullety and cause wild swinging and jarring at anchor risking breakout IMHO

Better to tie a spiderweb of ropes down low in amongst the roots of mangroves I reckon.

Dave
Old 16-02-2009, 18:20   #8

Cat, interesting...I was just looking at the two rivers in your 1st link....I also thought they look promising...the erosion made me wonder about runoff and currents.
The second looks like you can tuck in nicely. Google Earth is so cool.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:35   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Say, Cat,

I totally agree about being up in the mangroves, and I am interested in the sites you have pointed out. The problem with Google Earth is the lack of soundings! If there are adequate depths to get into those spots, they would really be great. The photos show distinct channels, but I'd sure want better data before attempting to drag my 2.2 metre draft into one. the tidal range in that area is 2+ metres as I recall, so there is hope...

Thanks for pointing them out.

Cheers,

Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:50   #10

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Mark,

Tidal estuaries are very dangerous. The wind isn't as dangerous as the tremendous current that can run 20-30kts with increases of depth of 30+' during the torrential rains of a cyclone in Australia.

We had some friends that were in downtown Brisbane in the early 80's when a cyclone came through and the river raised 40'. He told me that yachts were tying off to upper floors of office buildings to avoid houses that were racing down the river.

I agree that I would stay away from the Whitsundays in the event of a cyclone. Even during good weather you may have charter boats banging into you in the middle of the night. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The Great Barrier is a very unfriendly place during a cyclone. Storm surge can also be tremendous.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 19:01   #11

Looks like a good 5 day weather forecast there from Hamilton Harbor....
Old 16-02-2009, 19:22   #12

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
holes

Hopefully the cyclones are nearly over!!

You might stop at Port Clinton on your way. I think you will find that worth the stop & that is one stop I think you would be able to hide away. Island Head Creek is the last good stop before the Cumberlands. Pearl Bay in light conditions is good for overnight stop. Just a reminder on the tide flow in this area.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 20:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Say, Cat,

I totally agree about being up in the mangroves, and I am interested in the sites you have pointed out. The problem with Google Earth is the lack of soundings! If there are adequate depths to get into those spots, they would really be great. The photos show distinct channels, but I'd sure want better data before attempting to drag my 2.2 metre draft into one. the tidal range in that area is 2+ metres as I recall, so there is hope...

Thanks for pointing them out.

Cheers,

Oh I wouldn't go barrelling in at the last minute, but if you had time beforehand while in the area I would anchor out and scout them out in the nice big dinghy with depthsounder (like I'll carry), or maybe the pissy little dingy with long stick that my hull challenged friends likely have to put up with

Dave
Old 16-02-2009, 20:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Mark,

Tidal estuaries are very dangerous. The wind isn't as dangerous as the tremendous current that can run 20-30kts with increases of depth of 30+' during the torrential rains of a cyclone in Australia.
Parking up creeks is a well recognised tactic in OZ
Quote:
We had some friends that were in downtown Brisbane in the early 80's when a cyclone came through and the river raised 40'. He told me that yachts were tying off to upper floors of office buildings to avoid houses that were racing down the river.
He was telling you porkies

Are you always this prone to exaggeration?

Dave
Old 16-02-2009, 20:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Given I have lived in Brisbane the majority of my 52 years, and certainly during almost all the eighties, can I saw that your friend is - as we say in Australia - Having a lend of you. Didnt happen. In the last big flood (1974) there was pleny of action in the river but again, no tying offto high rises etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote