Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2023, 11:23   #31

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Doing Tahiti bareboat next month (02/2022); any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Our Dream Yacht Charter was great in 2019........ This time we're in a newer monohull. Hopefully the experience is a positive one.
Consider yourselves VERY lucky. They were horrible to us.

And the boat - a new monohull - was a POS. Hope you didn't charter "Arz", a Dufour 520 (that's really only 49 feet long). I can't believe they are STILL calling it a 5 cabin boat that sleeps 12. The forward cabins are actually singles, and the "stateroom" with the upper/lower bunks are tiny and not air conditioned.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 12:42   #32
Marine Service Provider

Re: Doing Tahiti bareboat next month (02/2022); any tips?

I haven't been to Bloody Mary's for about ten years. I was half owner of a Moorings 474 Sailing Cat based in Raiatea. Made at least seven trips to Bora and the other islands.

I knew two of the three owners back then. Rick (one of the owners) was always on the property. They were always very helpful with free ice and moorings. It was a great place to visit at least once in a lifetime. I have to admit that the food was nothing to write home about and it was expensive but what a unique place, one of a kind in the world at that time.

I asked Rick once about how often they changed the sand floor. He told once every six months. I ask if they find a lot of lost items. He said they find cell phones, wallets, jewelry, car keys and all kinds of buried treasure.

I had heard a few years ago that the place was up for sale. Perhaps the disappointment some of you expressed was due to new ownership and management. Glad I was there back in day. I'm 79 years old and glad I've been many places and done many things back in the day.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, tahiti