Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 08:39   #1

Boat: 09 MacGregor M26, Pisces
Ensenada, Mexico

I understand that when cruising south from the West Coast into Mexico, the first stop normally selected for paperwork processing is at Ensenada. In my charts, guide books, etc, I am unable to determine the location of the administrative building housing customs, immigration, etc. which are now consolidated in one location within this marina. For those who have made this visit my question concerns identifying this administrative building when entering the marina. Any thoughts, advice or directions would be most helpful.
chucktro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 09:04   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Don't know which Marina you are referring to, but the Port Captain and other offices are on Highway 1 toward Rosarito, just outside the harbor. The Marinas will also do the paperwork for you for a small fee. See the map at Mexico Boating Guide - Google Books , for example.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 09:41   #3

"I understand that when cruising south from the West Coast into Mexico, the first stop normally selected for paperwork processing is at Ensenada" I dont think this is the case, it sure never used to be the case anyway. Most avoided Ensenada unless they needed work done etc. My first stop was Cedro's island about half way down. The port captain was not available so I didnt check in. My next stop was Turtle Bay and I couldnt check in there either. I bypassed Mag bay and just checked in when I got to Cabo. My suggestion would be to check in at Turtle (?) or Mag unless you plan to harbor hop and spend time ashore.... and there really aren't much for harbors to hop on the west coast of Baja!!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:08   #4

Boat: Irwin 37 Ketch
Ensenada, Mexico

The big question is which marina. Baja Neval, CruisePort or Coral (the only one with fuel and north one mile from Ensenada)?
We did it last year and it was very easy to find and complete the paperwork.
Hollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 12:45   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Unless you are in the Bajahaha I would think you want to check in when you enter Mexican waters.I will get my tourist card and boat import permit,fishing license in San Diego.(I thought that was standard procedure?)as far as stopping in down the coast,there are anchorages every 40 to 60 miles all the way to Mag bay,providing regular northwest winds are prevalent.My last trip down we stopped every night except between Punta Baja,Cedros and Mag Bay, Cabo.Many people say they wish they had taken more time sailing down.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 12:58   #6

The Mexican Consulate in San Diego announced they would no longer issue tourist cards (The Log Newspaper), since you need to have them validated anyway at the first POE after you enter Mexico. You can get one in Tijuana, at the border, but you still need to have it revalidated when you reenter the country. And sometimes Cabo arbitrarily says you need a new one anyway (need the money). You can get an import permit online at instruccionesIITV_type, or any Banjercito office after you get there. They were pretty quick when I did it. Even if you are not going on the HaHa, the Latitude 38 guide at Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas is pretty good information. Even a list of POEs to select from.
Old 13-10-2009, 13:12   #7

So I can get the import permit online,the tourist card,fishing license when I get to Ensenada?Not much paperwork(none) in San Diego then.
Old 13-10-2009, 13:23   #8

You can get Mexican fishing licenses easily in San Diego, at a Mexican tourist office, or even online-see Mexican Fishing Licenses - Baja Bound Mexican Auto Insurance . I don't know where the offices are in Ensenada, but have talked to people who got theirs there.
Old 13-10-2009, 21:29   #9

Boat: Privilege 39
My understanding is you want to get the fishing licenses prior to entering Mexican waters with any fishing tackle aboard (at the risk of impounding your boat)... I don't have firsthand knowledge here, maybe this is wrong, so just check it out carefully on your own!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 21:44   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Does anyone know if the fishing licenses are good for one year from when you buy the license or for the year you purchased them say all of 2009 then I need a new one for 2010 or is it Oct of 2009 till October of 2010?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:16   #11

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Ensenada clearance

Charlie, your Mexican fishing license is good for one year, from the date of purchase. I'd recommend picking it up in San Diego (one of the tackle shops near H&M landing on Shelter Island handles this).

As far as clearance into Mexico in Ensenada, "...Recreational boaters visiting Mexico can now take advantage of streamlined yacht documentation processing services at Ensenada’s new Centro Integral de Servicios (CIS). Located just north of the harbor on Blvd. Teniente Azueta #101-1 next to the main SCT Port Captain’s office, the newly constructed Integral Services Center features walk-up windows for harbormaster (Capitanía de Puerto), customs (Aduana), immigration (Migración), fishing (CONAPESCA), and banking services. Nautical visitors can pay many of the required fees with credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard, Visa Election and Banamex." It is located very close to Baja Naval, on the north east end of the harbor. Ask and someone will direct you there. Getting there on foot is easy. You may also secure your tourist card there or in Los Cabos. If you're planning to stay more than six months, you may also want to look into applying for your FM2, rather than a tourist permit (which will require you leave the country and re-enter to get a new one at the end of six months).

As far as check-in points south of Ensenada, I believe the port captain in San Carlos in Magdelana Bay can do it, but the next point further south where this can be accomplished is Cabo San Lucas. As a point of convience, if you tell the Port Captain in Cabo that you're going to pay by credit card, you can pay your port fees without having to travel to and from the bank across town to accomplish this. You do have to make your wishes about paying by credit card known before they start preparing your paperwork.

Getting your Temporary Import Permit (TIP; good for 10 years) can be done in Ensenada, but not Cabo. You can secure a TIP in La Paz at the east end of the ferry buildings out in Pichelingue.

Go gently, fair winds and have fun!
Pete
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:46   #12

Great info. on here,thanks for sharing,you answered my questions also.Fishing license, and exit form is all there is to be done in San Diego,and of course enjoy my visit.Ensenada IS the place to get things done!Thanks Pete
Old 17-10-2009, 10:54   #13

Ensenada Check in....

Chuck,

Stop at Ensenada, do ALL of the check-in there at the one stop shop. Very easy to do and only about 2 blocks from Baja Naval marina.

See our web pages for more info. Look at our “Position Reports” for 2005-01-31, San Diego Ca. to Ensenada Mexico.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 11:03   #14

Streamlined Port Clearance Center Opens in Ensenada

Chuck,

Read the story at:

Ensenada Gazette - Port Clearance Center Opens

Greg

Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:02   #15

There is no check in between Ensenada and Cabo(possibly Turtle Bay).The check in at Ensenada is tedious,but better than before.Have your crew with you for tourist visa,serial # for engine,small change for photocopies.You must be checked in to a marina before you can check in,no anchoring,although if you pull in at end of day you can anchor till A.M.,then find a slip.If it is busy plan on a few hours.About $100. for captain and boat,$40. for each crew.Surge in harbor can get extreme,many springs and rubber snubbers recomended.Slips are limited.Make sure your insurance is valid in Mex.

Tags
Mexico