Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 18:54   #1

Finding a few boat owners in Hawaii

I will be in Hawaii in the next few weeks. What is the best way to meet some boat owners before I get there or maybe even when I get there to go out sailing? Any suggestions?

Where I am now, I have met a lot of boat owners and have joined a few groups, so I've found it quite easy to find boat owners offtering to take crew out for day sails. But haven't been able to lock down any easy way to do that in Hawaii yet.

Birds Travels <-- Newbie learning the ropes of the sea!
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 10:56   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Finding a few boat owners in Hawaii

Aloha,

No doubt you'll be going into Honolulu. Your best bet is to go to Waikiki, find the Ala Wai Marina (lots of masts), then, as you face the ocean head down the left side of the marina and take the second road to the right along the piers where the boats are. At the end you'll find the Hawaii Yacht Club. There is where you'll meet some sailors. You can also walk the docks. Friday night races start forming up at about 3PM and most any boat you see readying to go out will take additional crew. That's another way to meet folks who sail. Do a google map for Hawaii Yacht Club.

Maybe some Honolulu folks will reply. I live on the Big Island about 5.5 miles from where the lava is about to take out Pahoa Village so just now my thoughts are somewhere else.

Happy traveling.
Old 14-09-2014, 11:06   #3

If you are going to Kauai go to Nawiliwili Harbor to talk with folks at the dock. Dr. Ron on Jojo's (dark hulled Cheoy Lee 38) should be able to recommend a good sailor. If you are going to Kona then go down to Honokohau Harbor and head for the Kona sailing club. It's on the road to the right around all the commercial activities. Maybe Roverhi will respond to give you a recommendation.

Hawaii has several islands so let us know where you'll be going.
Old 14-09-2014, 11:32   #4

Thanks you SkiprJohn! I hope Pahoa Village stays safe!

Hawaii (Oahu) is my home state. But I was not a sailor when I lived there... I guess I will be learning soon about what sailing is like in Hawaii and I'm looking forward to it.

I probably will not be adventuring to the other islands, as I will be with my family the majority of the time for a family event this time. I will find a few moments to sneak off (maybe if a few want to join me) and see what sailing is like on my own waters!

Birds Travels <-- Newbie learning the ropes of the sea!
birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 11:43   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Check out the Kaneohe Yacht Club on the windward side. They have races on Thursday and Friday evenings, so you might be able to find a crew slot.
Old 14-09-2014, 15:21   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you get to Kona I'll let you work on my boat. Still haven't gotten it back together enough to sail. Could the reason be I'm on this damn list typing away in the middle of the day. Am going to make a yeoman effort to get the galley finished this week and clean out all the tools and crap so I can take the boat out. Unfortunately, will be on the Mainland for a month and a half after this coming week so won't be able to go sailing even if I get the boat ready until November.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 16:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post
Thanks you SkiprJohn! I hope Pahoa Village stays safe!

Hawaii (Oahu) is my home state. But I was not a sailor when I lived there... I guess I will be learning soon about what sailing is like in Hawaii and I'm looking forward to it.

I probably will not be adventuring to the other islands, as I will be with my family the majority of the time for a family event this time. I will find a few moments to sneak off (maybe if a few want to join me) and see what sailing is like on my own waters!
I didn't realize you are Kamaaina. Welcome back. The first post I sent to you about the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor is how to get yourself sailing on other people's boats the quickest way possible. Friday night races are always a good introduction. As you will quckly learn, sailing the islands is like no other experience.

Good luck to you and thanks for the kind words. It's about 2.7 miles away from Pahoa Village Road at this time.
Old 16-09-2014, 16:43   #8

I have friends (a couple) in Keehi Lagoon that might be going out and if you are interested I can send you their phone number via private message. They have two boats just now and just returned from Kauai.
kind regards,
Old 14-02-2015, 23:03   #9

Boat: need to find one by October

SkiprJohn is your home okay?
knockout_mice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii