Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 01:27   #16

Re: Fitzroy Reef entry.

I've been in and out perhaps 8 times in the last 15 years, the last time was 2012.
My beam is 7.7 also.
Compared to Lady Musgrave:
1. It is technically narrower, and looks particularly so on arrival at the entrance, but there is actually heaps of room! Its an illusion.
2. The channel runs obliquely through the coral and as such is longer.
3. The tidal stream is stronger and can run at 4+kts, so pick your time.
4. It does have a minor "kink" to STBD on entry.
5. The size of the anchorage inside is about a quarter of Musgrave, but there is still plenty of space and good sandy hold below.

As stated above arrive, with plenty of sun high in the sky. Once "experienced" its is no drama.

I recall being in there in the late 1990s with one other boat. At night we got hit by a ferocious sustained thunderstorm over three hours. Pitch black interrupted by blinding lightning. The lagoon was full of foam due to the extreme wind. Being frightened by the risk of dragging the anchor, I tried to reference our position relative to the only other landmark in sight, being the other boat anchoured about 50m away. This was pointless as it turned out, because one moment he was on the port beam, the next, the bow, and even on the stbd side as we each swung wildly at our respective anchors. The anchor held and now its just a good story....But at the time, it was nerve racking.
Its one of the great places to go and seems so isolated as you sit there quietly at anchor surrounded only by the ocean raging about you. On a clear day you can make out Round Hill and get some VHF reception. You might also glimce One Tree Island if the air is clear. I'll be there in September.....I hope.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 02:03   #17
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Thank you 2wind!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 03:49   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Wow,enjoy d@d

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 04:20   #19

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. Been to Musgrave a few times, but didn't think it was advisable to overnight at Fitzroy - hence haven't been that far. Will put it into the 'consideration list' for September school holidays.

Ta!
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:30   #20
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fitzroy entrance well marked and navigable, including for our 7.7m beam. Would guess min width at least 10m. Still, we followed the sage advice of others here (and our own experience) and entered with overhead sun and a rising tide.

Once inside, there was plenty of room (albeit with a solid scattering of big bommies, clearly visible with overhead sunlight) and good holding.

The water and the coral were simply glorious, but our swimming was limited by a constant 15-25kn wind during our days there which inhibited snorkeling. Still, the skies were bright and we loved the amazing solitude.

We consider Fitzroy to be amoung our very best anchorages, right up there with Wineglass Bay (another spot we enjoyed on our own; does that say something about our social skills?!? ) and above Lady Musgrave. The water and the coral at Lady Musgrave was also beautiful and the island offered an extra 'feature' to visit, but the daily presence of the (noisy!) tourist boat(s) from 1770 was a definite detraction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	85575

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	85576

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	85577
Old 26-07-2014, 03:22   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

One thing I especially like about Fitzroy Reef was the idea of anchoring completely out of sight of land (or reef - at high tide).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 03:54   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Ain't that the truth.

Beautiful cruising areas, especially when the wind drops.

Outside the Pacific theres very little coral and fish like on the great barrier reef. The Caribbean is pathetic comparead. Not from degradation, just never was as good. I think its something like 6,000 species of fish in the GBR to 1,600 in the Caribbean.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 15:11   #23
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Outside the Pacific theres very little coral and fish like on the great barrier reef. The Caribbean is pathetic comparead. Not from degradation, just never was as good. I think its something like 6,000 species of fish in the GBR to 1,600 in the Caribbean.
+2
Old 02-08-2014, 16:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

This appears an old thread, but as you're Aussie sailors I thought I'd drop in to say we produced a video from last winters romp through the Coral Sea searching for a 1856 shipwreck of a steam driven French Frigate. Plenty of what we dream about in it.

Watch the Trailer ~ Take the Voyage

Reef anchorages can be tricky and so we have produced a FREE Coral Sea Cruising Guide, similar to others we've produced, filled with photos, chartlets, GPS positions, weather info and other info necessary for a safe passage. It also comes in a downloaded E-formats.

The Coral Sea is filled with safe anchorages, lagoons, sand islands, heaps of wildlife, great diving and fishing. Expand your horizons. East Diamond Islet is the best, closest Coral Sea experience to Aussie's East Coast.
Old 27-01-2015, 21:29   #25
DtM

Bump up the page for my own research purposes.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:56   #26

Boat: LAGOON 400

that does not look bad at all.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote