Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 18:58   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
French Polynesia 2021?

Pre-Covid our plan had been to sail from Chile in April 2021 to French Polynesia. Things have changed a bit since then and we are wondering what the situation is currently like in FP. We had thought we might store the boat in Raiatea for the hurricane season as NZ remains closed for the foreseeable future. We are concerned, however, that with NZ and Australia no longer options for hurricane season, that the yard in Raiatea, as well as other options, may be full to capacity and beyond. Anybody on the ground in FP that can offer information on what it is like in Covid times?

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 22:53   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: French Polynesia 2021?

Hello Mike,
I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
Our boat is still in Ecuador, my current thinking is just to go back to northern Chile when we get to go back to her.....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 04:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You should also keep informed on the Chilean situation.
COVID-19 risk in Chile is currently high (ie: uncontrolled and widespread community transmission).
CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to Chile. Travelers at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should consider postponing all travel, including essential travel, to Chile.
If you get sick in Chile, and need medical care, resources may be limited.
COVID-19 in Chile: Information for American Citizens https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You should also keep informed on the Chilean situation.
COVID-19 risk in Chile is currently high (ie: uncontrolled and widespread community transmission).
CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential international travel to Chile. Travelers at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should consider postponing all travel, including essential travel, to Chile.
If you get sick in Chile, and need medical care, resources may be limited.
COVID-19 in Chile: Information for American Citizens https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

We are currently in the USA. No matter how bad things are in Chile, we would be safer there!

Old 16-11-2020, 08:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
We are currently in the USA. No matter how bad things are in Chile, we would be safer there!
But currently:
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter Chile? No
Only Chilean citizens and residents of Chile are allowed entry into the country.
So keep watching, for updates/changes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 11:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
But currently:
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter Chile? No
Only Chilean citizens and residents of Chile are allowed entry into the country.
So keep watching, for updates/changes.

Things are changing as we speak:

Entry and Exit Requirements:
  • Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
  • The plan to gradually re-open Chile’s borders allows non-resident foreigners to enter Chile through Santiago Airport starting on November 23.
  • All travelers (of all ages) will have to present three documents when boarding:
  1. A completed “Affidavit of Travelers” electronic form (available at www.c19.cl and also known as a Sanitary Passport) prepared less than 48 hours before boarding;
  2. Proof of a negative result from a PCR result from a test taken within 72 hours prior to departure; and
  3. Proof of a health insurance policy that provides coverage for Covid-19 and related health issues during the traveler’s stay in Chile.

Old 16-11-2020, 11:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Hello Mike,
I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
Our boat is still in Ecuador, my current thinking is just to go back to northern Chile when we get to go back to her.....

Hey Frank,
We have friends who will be returning to their boat in Valdivia at the end of the month and they will report back on what is going on there. I will let you know when I hear from them. I don't know if the Armada is issuing zarpes for the canals just yet. Friends who were stuck in Pto. Williams when the country shut down report that they will issue a zarpe to leave the country only. They will be allowed to travel north through the canals and provision through an agent in Montt or Valdivia but then they have to scoot.

Old 16-11-2020, 15:44   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Gord, I've been getting regular updates from Montt.... my mate there has a big yacht stuck down in Puerto Aguirre that he skippers some of the time.... been trying to get it back to Montt since March... internal borders between regions closed , quarantine issues, he even has trouble getting from Montt where he works to Frutillar where he lives less than an hour's drive away due to the need for permits etc..
My issue at the moment is simply getting back to my boat.... never mind where I go with her... At present sole option is four flights spanning some 3/4s of the globe ( eastern Australia to Ecuador 'westabout' ) and 48 hours spent in aircraft and airport departure lounges.... not happening until there is a vaccine....

Did I mention that it would mean passing through the US?
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...states-america
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 16:17   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Did I mention that it would mean passing through the US?
https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...states-america
Holy cow, Ping!!

I've never read that stuff before and as a Yank (even an ex-pat one) I find it shocking. Having a handy short form guide to dealing with active shooter events... well, isn't that reassuring?

No plans to return to my native land just now, thank you... and I can understand your reluctance to even transit on your way back to Westerly Serenade.

what a world we now inhabit.

Jim
Old 16-11-2020, 16:19   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

For the OP: you might try PMing chouli here on CF. I think he is still resident in Papeete and would have useful info for you.

Jim
Old 16-11-2020, 17:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For the OP: you might try PMing chouli here on CF. I think he is still resident in Papeete and would have useful info for you.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I may try that. I contacted Chantier Naval de Iles in Raiatea and they replied that they are currently full. Friends who crewed on a boat from Chile to FP a few months ago said the place seemed pretty packed with boats that had nowhere to go.

Old 04-12-2020, 20:27   #12

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Pre-Covid our plan had been to sail from Chile in April 2021 to French Polynesia. Things have changed a bit since then and we are wondering what the situation is currently like in FP. We had thought we might store the boat in Raiatea for the hurricane season as NZ remains closed for the foreseeable future. We are concerned, however, that with NZ and Australia no longer options for hurricane season, that the yard in Raiatea, as well as other options, may be full to capacity and beyond. Anybody on the ground in FP that can offer information on what it is like in Covid times?
Hi Mike
Happy to answer any questions about FP. We do have some information on our website that may help you https://www.jacarandajourney.com/other-good-stuff You can find our email on our website and best to email me directly as I don't often check the forum

FP is closed now but they are allowing vessels to come in with special permission that can be obtained before arrival. Long Stay visas are NOT being issued so unless you are EU you will be granted a 90 day tourist visa. Out of the water storage is limited and in short demand. Usually the two yards in Raiatea book out about 6 months in advance. I can provide you all the places for long term storage

What will you do after 90 days is up?

If planning on moving on the only other country open at the moment is Fiji. There is some chatter about Australia accepting foreign yachts.

Regards

Chuck
Jacaranda
lying Mo'orea
Old 04-12-2020, 20:49   #13

Boat: LAGOON 400

whatever you do, you need plan B. And plan B in corona times requires ability to circle globe non stop around 3 capes, no stops so you can return whatever your home country is without crossing any borders.

You need balls, good crew, and good boat for this.

welcome to real adventure ! I am truly excited.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 21:01   #14

My bud sailed to FP in September. He contacted authorities to get permission...was reject 3x... 4th try he was admitted. He did have to land at Papeete to check in then beat upwind.

They are currently in Fakarava ...no covid to mention there, just great diving.

They are returning to Hawaii after their 3 months are over.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:10   #15

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Hi Mike
Happy to answer any questions about FP. We do have some information on our website that may help you https://www.jacarandajourney.com/other-good-stuff You can find our email on our website and best to email me directly as I don't often check the forum

FP is closed now but they are allowing vessels to come in with special permission that can be obtained before arrival. Long Stay visas are NOT being issued so unless you are EU you will be granted a 90 day tourist visa. Out of the water storage is limited and in short demand. Usually the two yards in Raiatea book out about 6 months in advance. I can provide you all the places for long term storage

What will you do after 90 days is up?

If planning on moving on the only other country open at the moment is Fiji. There is some chatter about Australia accepting foreign yachts.

Regards

Chuck
Jacaranda
lying Mo'orea
Here is the recent Covid situation as of yesterday. Google translate works well

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Covid-U...e_a196520.html

Tags
enc, French Polynesia