Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 22:07   #31

Boat: Allied 39
Re: French Polynesia Cruiser Problems

Got it....... FIFO is the FP film festival that runs in Feb.... LOL
Old 29-11-2019, 23:13   #32

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
most of these anchoring restrictions are NOT about $$$$. The locals could care less. They don’t want us in their back yard.
have you actually had a local voice this wish, that he does not want you in his backyard, to you? I talk to a lot of locals, & none, 0, not one has said that...
Old 30-11-2019, 13:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
...when the " boots on the ground " phrase arrived you lost my sympathy ,, are you american by any chance,, surely yo must realise by now that you cannot trample people..,,
Good heavens, sir. You seem to be suffering from a lack of understanding here. That phrase is what is called an idiom. An idiom is a word or phrase with a figurative meaning. While “boots on the ground” was originally a military phrase, it is now much more common to politics, causes, charities, etc. In the context of the OP’s concerns, it simply means that the organization in question is the only one with people who are actually present in the area.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 16:30   #34

I am still waiting for an answer, Cherod: how much time did you spend in the Pacific islands?
& local concerns about radiation from the “tests“ as the cause for this sudden “troubles“? How far can you fetch an argument?
Old 01-12-2019, 04:33   #35

no indeed , never have been but have been reading listening and watching the situation for the last 30 years ,,,,,, it does not take Einstein to realise that the colonial legacy is going to have unpleasant repercusions eventually , or perhaps you think / hope they will be forgotten . if and when the Runit Dome ( known locally apparently as the " Tomb " ) does burst i dont think it will matter if it is French islands or American ones , you will not want to be their even if you are welcome .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
no indeed , never have been but have been reading listening and watching the situation for the last 30 years ,,,,,, it does not take Einstein to realise that the colonial legacy is going to have unpleasant repercusions eventually , or perhaps you think / hope they will be forgotten . if and when the Runit Dome ( known locally apparently as the " Tomb " ) does burst i dont think it will matter if it is French islands or American ones , you will not want to be their even if you are welcome .

Runit Dome, in the Marshall Islands, has got nothing to do with FP. 5500km downwind from Papeete and 3600km upwind from Japan. Who has more to worry about?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:36   #37

@Cherod:1. Keep in mind that “the pacific islanders“ are an incredibly diverse group: you have bilingual sophisticates living in Tahiti, career, cars, “western“ lifestyle & „worldliness“ - & you have papuan highland tribesmen slaughtering women & children of the neighbouring tribe in a “tribal conflict“ (happened recently)
Old 01-12-2019, 13:22   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
You would appear to have forgotten the British tests... if indeed you ever knew about them...
Not only in Australia but also on the Pacific Islands of Malden and Kiritimata ( was Christmas Island).

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone............
Old 01-12-2019, 14:33   #39

Just in Papua New Guinea the diversity is mind boggling: 600 different languages! Small nations like the Solomon Islands have very diverse ethnic groups too, & even in FP there is a lot of diversity: the Marquesas have their own language, different enough from Tahitian that each has to actually “learn“ the other language to be able to use it (& some islands of the Marquesas want to be independent from Tahiti - but NOT, I was assured independent from France.
So to “know“ just a LITTLE, TINY bit of how the islander's minds work the absolute minimum requirement would be a knowledge of the french language. Even then one would just very superficially have gotten to “know“ the Tahitians. One would have to be fluent in Tahitian & Marquesan too, to be able to have the slightest chance of really comprehending the locals HERE. Even then one would not know anything about the lifes of all the other Pacific islanders, so very much different to the Tahitians.
This is our fourth voyage to the Pacific. In FP we stayed nearly 2 years altogether. 7 months in Papua, stays in Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia. I understand French (slowly & painfully) & everywhere we visited we read local papers, listened to the radio & sometimes TV - yet it wo u ld be an audacity to claim I knew anything about what makes these people “tick“, -I know next to nothing how their minds work! & this is in Tahiti, where we stayed the longest & people are the most outgoing.
Now no offence, Cherod, but any “opinion“ you might have formed about the Pacific islanders - is pure phantasy formed by projections of your politics. No offence...!
Old 01-12-2019, 14:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Runit Dome, in the Marshall Islands, has got nothing to do with FP. 5500km downwind from Papeete and 3600km upwind from Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You would appear to have forgotten the British tests... if indeed you ever knew about them...
Not only in Australia but also on the Pacific Islands of Malden and Kiritimata ( was Christmas Island).
Hey, such inconvenient facts can interfere with one's own irrational outrage agenda. When some character makes a lazy bad-guy choice and adds a farcical innocent victim, it wouldn't cause so much laughter be if he sorted his geography first. Pretty sure.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36   #41

Well although I may not have such detailed knowledge on the subject as you do , do not assume that I have none , I am well aware of the variations in the different areas and people’s thereof , thank you
Old 02-12-2019, 01:44   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone............
I believe this post is in reply to me Best not to make such silly ( I could use a stronger term ) , assumptions , or infer ignorance , I can assure you I know well of the British tests , my father was involved with them , I can only faintly remember what he told me of them , the significance only later becoming apparent , unfortunately he is no longer here or I could give you more details , he died early of cancer , connection ? I will never know , so please don’t try to be clever , it obviously does not suit you .
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Just in Papua New Guinea the diversity is mind boggling: 600 different languages! Small nations like the Solomon Islands have very diverse ethnic groups too, & even in FP there is a lot of diversity: the Marquesas have their own language, different enough from Tahitian that each has to actually “learn“ the other language to be able to use it (& some islands of the Marquesas want to be independent from Tahiti - but NOT, I was assured independent from France.
So to “know“ just a LITTLE, TINY bit of how the islander's minds work the absolute minimum requirement would be a knowledge of the french language. Even then one would just very superficially have gotten to “know“ the Tahitians. One would have to be fluent in Tahitian & Marquesan too, to be able to have the slightest chance of really comprehending the locals HERE. Even then one would not know anything about the lifes of all the other Pacific islanders, so very much different to the Tahitians.
This is our fourth voyage to the Pacific. In FP we stayed nearly 2 years altogether. 7 months in Papua, stays in Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia. I understand French (slowly & painfully) & everywhere we visited we read local papers, listened to the radio & sometimes TV - yet it wo u ld be an audacity to claim I knew anything about what makes these people “tick“, -I know next to nothing how their minds work! & this is in Tahiti, where we stayed the longest & people are the most outgoing.
Now no offence, Cherod, but any “opinion“ you might have formed about the Pacific islanders - is pure phantasy formed by projections of your politics. No offence...!
Well ,, no , my opinions are not based on my politics , actually the other way around , you obviously have the wrong end of the stick , why , I don’t know , obv what you say about understanding any people’s one must understand their language , so , no insult intended, but that post was a waste of your time .regardless of an understanding of French / marquesion etc etc the facts are about the nuclear fall out and contamination are without doubt , that is what forms my opinion , my politics are somewhat formed by the treatment of all of these islands by former colonial powers . I would think that it does not do the cruising fraternity any good to try to deny or diminish its importance
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Runit Dome, in the Marshall Islands, has got nothing to do with FP. 5500km downwind from Papeete and 3600km upwind from Japan. Who has more to worry about?
Perhaps you have much to learn regarding the spread of nuclear pollution , there has been much published on the issue , if only ones politics would allow them to read it
Old 02-12-2019, 06:51   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Easy going: they don't want us so skip French Polynesia instantly. If everyone does it they might think it over.

We should strenghten noonside and build a community that issues recommandations than "ALL OF US" follow.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, enc, French Polynesia