Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 07:47   #1

Getting to Japan from Canada

How is the sailing from Canada to Japan, from a newby sailor perspective? Is it a notoriously difficult passage? Doable without much sailing expense? Where would I look in order to find out more about doing this passage and some of the hazards I might face. Personal accounts, etc.

I ask, because the boat i want to buy is in Canada and I want to live on it in Japan.
SanPuluei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:48   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Getting to Japan from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanPuluei View Post
How is the sailing from Canada to Japan, from a newby sailor perspective? Is it a notoriously difficult passage? Doable without much sailing expense? Where would I look in order to find out more about doing this passage and some of the hazards I might face. Personal accounts, etc.

I ask, because the boat i want to buy is in Canada and I want to live on it in Japan.
Can you tell me more about living on a boat in Japan? Because that’s the destination I am really interested in also.

I would love to spend some time there.

What do you know so far about it?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:19   #3

I know lots about living on land in Japan (and can tell you lots), and absolutely zero about sailing there. So you probably know more than I do. Lol

I'm soaking up everyting I can but it's not as well known or well cruised (from an outside perspective anyway). As you probably know, it's not easy to find much information in English. It seems like language barriers, the Japanese love of bureaucracy and paperwork are big hurdles... and don't help encourage people to visit and so I guess it's understandable that many people don't consider it. On top of that, I gather... Strong tides, typhoons and lots of fish farms, nets and busy shipping lanes to avoid. Fog. No night time sailing and very few mooring balls and anchorages.

All that being said, if you can navigate all of that I think it offers some wonderful sailing opportunities and is a wonderful destination to explore. I love Japan, and have driven end to end, but there's something like over 14,000 Islands! Can't see them all unless I get a boat! Lol

I found this today. It might be interesting for you.

https://www.konpira-consulting.com/u...-part-one.html
Old 03-05-2023, 08:23   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Yeah. The red tape is going to be rough. But it really seems worth it.

Take a look at this thread. I started this thread over the summer.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...an-267771.html
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:25   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Start by sailing south along west coast of usa to mexico. Turn right(starboard) sail to polynesia. Continue onwards turn slightly north reach philipines go north to japan. Considering hurricane seasons etc tjis is a one year plus trip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:08   #6

Boat: Bayfield 36

s/v Wahine has been sailing about Japan for the past few years and is there now. His blog is https://www.pacificsolo.com/blog

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
Ferrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 14:45   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

SanPuluei why not buy a yacht in Japan? This Jeanneau 40 on Facebook looks alright.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jap Boat.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	274963  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 17:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
SanPuluei why not buy a yacht in Japan? This Jeanneau 40 on Facebook looks alright.
Cheers
Wait, am I reading that listing for $8,000,000!?

I hope that's meant to be ¥ lol
Old 03-05-2023, 17:27   #9

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

$59543 usd.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 19:55   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Start by sailing south along west coast of usa to mexico. Turn right(starboard) sail to polynesia. Continue onwards turn slightly north reach philipines go north to japan. Considering hurricane seasons etc tjis is a one year plus trip
Or from the west coast of the US, to Hawaii, and on to Japan. Avoid the Hurricanes. Do it in one season. California to Hawaii is a very common and pretty easy passage, as far as long passages go. I don't know much about the Hawaii to Japan leg, but when I was in Hawaii I met Japanese cruisers that go back and forth, so it isn't that uncommon, at least for them.
Old 04-05-2023, 00:14   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

There is a Victoria Maui Race every second year ... next in 2024, the race starting in early july. As I understand it the route is about navigating around the Pacific high as it appears on that year, and may be a more direct route to Hawaii than suggested before. That navigation may be way above your apparent level of expertise though, and I know that you've also received advice on another thread that your boat choice may not be appropriate for such a crossing. Don't confuse what's possible with a well found boat and a skilled offshore crew with something anyone in any boat can do. Check the race website for the types of training required for crews.
https://www.vicmaui.org/
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, Japan