Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 18:58   #286

Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You must be telepathic, along with clearly having extraordinary insight into "truth."
What telepathy? You just finished telling me about a newly-elected guy who will say anything, and gets away with it...
Old 02-12-2016, 19:01   #287

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The advocacy organization FoS purchased and erected an ADVERTISEMENT, which immediately falls under advertising rules and guidelines. The US has advertising rules and guidelines too. You can't just put any old thing on a billboard. Try it.
Correct. No 4-letter words, no obscenity, and the FTC tries to regulate bogus advertising. Kinda doubt there'd be a problem with a billboard advocating a scientific theory, however, especially one that has some (minority) support in the scientific community. Happy to be corrected, and again, no issue with how Canadian citizens wish to balance out the issue. I think the ASC is more directed towards truth in advertising retail products, and it seems odd to regulate scientific opinion on CC. But so be it -- it still has nothing to do with the validity of the actual science that FOS is expounding.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:09   #288
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
A director of a research institute once told me that a study will show whatever the person paying for it wants it to show. The validity of data is never challenged in a review, only the process. Cherry picking is rampant in any study as a result.
Thanks for taking my place in this year's global warming discussion, you're saving me many hours.

Hopefully, you'll be available to cover for me during the next composting head discussion, which is due any day now.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:10   #289

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
What telepathy? You just finished telling me about a newly-elected guy who will say anything, and gets away with it...
And what's wrong with that?
He's Mr. President to you.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:11   #290

Quote:
Do I need to spoon-feed to you again?? You suggested knowledge of who I voted for; you are undoubtedly aware that not all Repubs approved of Trump for various & often separate and indpt. reasons; you are (hopefully) aware that Trump has a history of supporting liberal causes & candidates; you presumably know that a lot of Dems cast ballots for the guy (w/o necessarily admitting it ); I just linked you to a news clip suggesting that Ivanka may become an advocate for AGW and other liberal causes . . . . Got it? Or do you wish to continue making simplistic assumptions about anonymous people you've never met on the internet?

Hey, how about that CC science, huh?
Old 02-12-2016, 19:14   #291

Quote:
Only if L-E meets with the incoming U.S. president in a formal diplomatic setting. He's Canadian.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:14   #292

Quote:
Kinda doubt there'd be a problem with a billboard advocating a scientific theory, however, especially one that has some (minority) support in the scientific community.
Can you find an example of such a US billboard? Where its sole purpose is to state an unpopular scientific theory as if it was established fact? Like so:

Old 02-12-2016, 19:17   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks for taking my place in this year's global warming discussion, you're saving me many hours.

Hopefully, you'll be available to cover for me during the next composting head discussion, which is due any day now.
Nobody could take your place Keno. OK, well maybe Third Day. We could use both of you to lighten things up a bit. Jack said he was deadly serious this time.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:19   #294

It doesn't matter if global warming is true or not and it doesn't matter what might be causing it. We are not going to do anything about it even if it does exist. I am getting the feeling that some of you think "if we can just convince the old white guys it's true" the problem will go away. Try to look past that fallacy and look at what the solution would be. Is society willing and able to stomach that? Of course not. Go sailing!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 19:20   #295

Quote:
You suggested knowledge of who I voted for
... no, I said that YOU have previously said you leaned GOP... and the GOP won big, both houses and the Oval Orifice, or did I miss something? I said nothing about knowing who you voted for as president.

If I was closer, I'd help you find those lost reading glasses. Or maybe you're a bit too caught up making assumptions about my assumptions. Trolling is like that sometimes.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:32   #296

Trumps a good man and should appeal to boat sides of the aisle. I offer the election results as proof.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:47   #297

Quote:
LE is a Canadian. Or did you know know where Toronto is?
Old 02-12-2016, 19:47   #298
cruiser

Quote:
Nobody could take your place Keno. OK, well maybe Third Day. We could use both of you to lighten things up a bit. Jack said he was deadly serious this time.
Well, ever since the hand-wringing kooks got voted out three weeks ago, I've been busy riding the national wave of optimism. Let the good times roll!

Been working lots of overtime to pretty much insure I'll be able to extend Med time to 6-6.5 months next season.

Guys like Jack and Lake can go on preaching until they wear out their computer keyboards, but nobody's gunna be listening for the next 12-16 years or so. IMHO
Old 02-12-2016, 19:48   #299

Quote:
Trumps a good man and should appeal to boat sides of the aisle. I offer the election results as proof.
Trump is a dangerous demagogue.

Now back to the GBR or climate change.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:51   #300

Quote:
... no, I said that YOU have previously said you leaned GOP... and the GOP won big, both houses and the Oval Orifice, or did I miss something? I said nothing about knowing who you voted for as president.

Yes you did -- a couple of things (since you asked). First, it's the Oval Office not the Oval Orifice, notwithstanding your personal opinion of it's soon-to-be-inaguarated future occupant. And you also missed deleting the T-L word from your post. I know this is your default when things feel unsafe for you but it's not nice.
Quote:
Can you find an example of such a US billboard? Where its sole purpose is to state an unpopular scientific theory as if it was established fact? Like so:

How about one debunking a (still??) popular scientific theory on the ground that God doesn't approve?

It sounds like the U.S. has a lot more freedom to "offend" than you guys with your ASC. But of course we also have the freedom to allow ourselves to become "offended" or not. Different sensibilities & traditions. Stay home or get over it and come down for a visit. I'll arrange a sail with a deplorable just for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef