Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 19:54   #301

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Trump is a dangerous demagogue.

Now back to the GBR or climate change.
You must be from Canada.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:56   #302

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
LE is a Canadian. Or did you know know where Toronto is?
If you had bothered to read my post . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Only if L-E meets with the incoming U.S. president in a formal diplomatic setting. He's Canadian.
Oh, and kindly lighten up.
Old 02-12-2016, 19:59   #303

My favourite climate scientist, Katherine Hayhoe (Canadian Christian Evangelical at Texas Tech University) just has a great FB post.

Quote:
The number one reason people reject the science of climate change has nothing to do with the science, and everything to do with the solutions.

Taxes, and the government telling us what to do -- those are the first solutions that pop into many of our heads as soon as we hear the words "global warming". And aversion to taxes and government control are burned deep into the American psyche (and probably the Australian one too!). Wasn't that what the American Revolution was fought for?

So - if the only solutions are punitive taxes and a government nanny telling us how to set our thermostat and what car we're allowed to drive, it's no surprise that many people would rather cut off their noses than agree there's a real problem.

But those AREN'T the only solutions. And that's why my next favourite organizations - two of them - are the libertarian Niskanen Center and the free market RepublicEn Institute. Because there are a whole host of solutions, from all angles of the political spectrum.

As my husband says - a thermometer isn't liberal or conservative. But solutions are. And we need all kinds of solutions to bring unexpected allies to the table on climate.
So, please like both of these Facebook pages, share this post, and check out this article on Libertarian principles and climate change:
Exile (and others) read this! https://niskanencenter.org/blog/libe...limate-change/
Old 02-12-2016, 20:00   #304

Quote:
Trump is a dangerous demagogue.

Now back to the GBR or climate change.
My brother worked in Calgary for a while. He got sick there and had a hard time getting an appointment with a doctor. Typical third world.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:02   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
You must be from Canada.
Went grad school in Houston.

And you must be from Easton MD.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:03   #306

Quote:
My favourite climate scientist, Katherine Hayhoe (Canadian Christian Evangelical at Texas Tech University) just has a great FB post.

Exile (and others) read this! https://niskanencenter.org/blog/libe...limate-change/
All talk. Show me one bi-partisan solution.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:06   #307

Quote:
My brother worked in Calgary for a while. He got sick there and had a hard time getting an appointment with a doctor. Typical third world.
He should have gone to one of our free walk in medical clinics.

I can see my doctor on the same day.

I ruptured my quad tendon playing squash last June 1 at 1740. Had the surgery at 0730 June 2.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:07   #308

Quote:
All talk. Show me one bi-partisan solution.

With Lamar Smith and James Inhofe in change of "science" in your country I can understand your sense of hopelessness.

I gather you did not read the link - it is bi-partisan.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:11   #309

Quote:
With Lamar Smith and James Inhofe in change of "science" in your country I can understand your sense of hopelessness.

Nope, I don't care either way. I'm old enough now that it's not going to kill me if it's true. Like I said, it's our children's problem----let them deal with it.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:15   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Well, ever since the hand-wringing kooks got voted out three weeks ago, I've been busy riding the national wave of optimism. Let the good times roll!

Been working lots of overtime to pretty much insure I'll be able to extend Med time to 6-6.5 months next season.

Guys like Jack and Lake can go on preaching until they wear out their computer keyboards, but nobody's gunna be listening for the next 12-16 years or so. IMHO
Smart man.

Yep, the markets been good and looks like we are in store for a great year, or maybe eight years.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:24   #311

Quote:
Nope, I don't care either way. I'm old enough now that it's not going to kill me if it's true. Like I said, it's our children's problem----let them deal with it.
I am child free. And I am not intentionally screwing my descendants lives. Your children will hate you.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:26   #312

Quote:

Guys like Jack and Lake can go on preaching until they wear out their computer keyboards, but nobody's gunna be listening for the next 12-16 years or so. IMHO
That is like putting on your seat belt as you have an accident. Try a little foresight sometime.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:32   #313

Quote:

Partisan or bi-partisan is irrelevant. The question is "will it cost me anything or inconvenience me in any way? If the answer is yes we don't want it. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:49   #314

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Thanks for taking my place in this year's global warming discussion, you're saving me many hours.

Hopefully, you'll be available to cover for me during the next composting head discussion, which is due any day now.
That'll be a perfect thread for km.
The Real Odour Leaks Lots.
Old 02-12-2016, 20:49   #315

Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to deadth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Some time ago Global Warming became Global Climate Change. It is not a matter of semantics, btw. The reason is quite simple, actual warming stopped some years ago, possibly as a result of solar activity (eg sun spots as massive releases of radiation). We are currently in/going into a cooling phase in that respect. It is these solar effects/patterns that bring on such climate changes as ice-ages and warming trends, plus Earth's cycles (and events) as well.

Btw, it is much easier to 'prove' man-caused global warming--the temperature goes up, all other contributing factors held constant. The problem is the data does not support the hypothesis. There are significant warming periods (eg. 1922) without man's huge influence, and the recent slowdown/decrease in temperature.

Now, Climate Change covers all options, hot and/or cold, and even no change at all. Few hurricanes or more hurricanes, dry spells, wet spells, etc.; it's all climate change now. Anything becomes climate change. No wonder the progressive politicians jumped on board.

Of course, the 'scientific' problem with man-caused 'Global Climate Change' is what is the testable hypothesis. 'Change' has to do with variability. For example, should there be more change or less change from an established mean because man has caused the climate to change? The first question a reasonably informed person should ask is what is the statistical distribution of global climate change over a long period time? For the sake of argument, let's say 1,000 years.

Forget bleaching of the coral. It might be a perfectly normal, low probability event, whose time finally came.

If you insist on making these types of "expert" type statements, please provide your sources. Im quite sure they are easily discredited. Personally and logically I'd much rather believe the IPCC climate scientists who are basically putting their professional reputations and careers on the line. Now if you are going to talk about a conspiracy which do you think makes more sense, a conspiracy amongst fossil fuel companies who literally have trillions of $ worth of carbon emitting fuel reserves on their books and stand to loose all if global warming is real, or others who claim some conspiring climate scientist seeking funding to keep their cushy jobs going?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other

About the gb reef specifically there were no bleaching event prior those in recent years. Highly likely a repeat bleaching event will knock the recovery of the northern reaches before they get back to what they were. Then there's ocean acidification are you telling me there's a conspiracy with the measurements of it as well. Ocean acidification has the potential to have huge knock on effects on the food chain and could lead to major Eco system collapses everywhere on the planet. It will certainly take out all coral reefs existing trends continuing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e_iOSApp_Other
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef