Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 05:22   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Hawaiian Islands

My father requested his ashes to be placed in the Pacific. Since his grandfather was from the Kona Coast I thought it would be appropriate to place some of them there.

The second part is to sail onto Honolulu, and hopefully find Hokule'a, the Hawaiin sailing canoe, there, and meet Wayfinders. My li'l brown love would like to see Kaui. I am wondering where there is to anchor in these 3 places with acces to shore.

Before I started sailing I was in Kona. If my memory serves me correctly. Anchoring seemed to be quite limited. I will be digging out the paper charts in a couple of days. Any advice will be appreciated.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 06:03   #2

Boat: Sadler 26
Summer achoring in Hanalei Bay, if my memory serves me well. I soent 3 years on Kauai back in the early 1980's
Old 31-03-2010, 01:57   #3

Info on Kauai:

North Shore: Hanalei Bay should be great in the summer. It gets way too rough in the winter.

Lihue / Airport: You might be able to get a temporary slip at Nawiliwili Harbor.

Also, check out 21°54'06.71"N 159°35'27.58"W. I've heard you can anchor there or somewhere nearby to the east, but haven't been there. You'd have about a mile walk from there to the town of Eleele. It's small, but nice.

Cruising Guide to the Hawaiian Islands is available on Google Books.

My mom lives near Shipwreck Beach, but I'm assuming you won't want to go there.
todm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 02:11   #4

On Oahu:

Kaneohe Bay would probably be the best place to anchor. Kaneohe (and nearby Kailua) are great little towns. Honolulu is about a 30 minute drive over either the Likelike Highway or Pali Highway. It's only about 13 miles, but traffic on the island is terrible.

I saw a sailboat anchored near my favorite campgrounds once. It's just outside of Laie and is called Malaekahana State Recreation Area. The boat was anchored near 21°39'19.11"N 157°55'32.17"W.

Marinas:
Ala Wai (at the edge of Waikiki)
Keehi Small Boat Harbor (near the airport)
Ko Olina (very nice, but expensive and difficult to get to town)
todm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 04:58   #5
Eternal Member

Thanks to all,

This information will help me piece together our time in Hawaii. We do not use marinas. That just eats through money too quick while cruising. It's good to know where they are for fuel, and landing the dink though....thanks....i2f
Old 31-03-2010, 16:32   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John,
Hanalei on Kauai is the most beautiful anchorage I've ever had the privilege of visiting. Call the bureaucrats first just to make certain they haven't screwed it up with overregulation. Last time I anchored there was '84 so things have changed I'm certain.
If you are going to do all the islands don't forget Lanai (really great little Marina that is open on weekends and doesn't charge when they don't know you are there) and Lono Harbor on Molokai (very secluded).
I sent some numbers in another post.
kind regards,
Old 31-03-2010, 18:23   #7
Eternal Member

Thanks John,

We are making progress. Today we took 3 dock carts of stuff off the boat. & only brought one cart load to the boat.......i2f
Old 31-03-2010, 21:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
In the summer, you can anchor almost anywhere in the Islands. Will probably be a bit rolly but comfortable. You just have to watch for swells from winter storms from down under. There is plenty of warning so not a real problem.

Kailua Bay can be anchored in year around if there are no swells coming in and access is easy from the pier. Unfortunately it's a rolly anchorage even in the best of times. It's the handiest as it's right in the middle of town. You can go up or down the coast and drop your hook almost anywhere but there isn't much on shore except at the hotels. If you need anything done to the boat, Gentry Marine at Honokohau harbor can haul it and it there's a contractor for just about any service you can think of.

The same goes for the other Islands. I'm bringing my boat over this summer and want to explore the windward side of Maui and Molokai. Molokai, especially has some remote beaches and deep valleys that are only accessable by boat.

You can get 90 days temporary mooring in each of the State Harbors, space permitting. With all the boats doing a TransPac in the summer space may be a problem, however. I wouldn't count on getting much time at all in the Alawai (Waikiki). Keehi lagoon may have space but don't know what the anchoring restrictions are. The state has moorings there that are usually all taken. Keehi Lagoon has had a problem with druggies and theft though I hear they cleaned a lot of the problems out. You can anchor out around Oahu and Kaneohe Bay is a protected anchorage in all weather.

When you get to the Big Island, give me a call. We live Kona side.

Aloha
Peter O
roverhiatyahoodotcom
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 22:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
don't forget Lanai (really great little Marina that is open on weekends and doesn't charge when they don't know you are there)
Manele Bay Small Boat Harbor is the marina, and the area is very nice. Huolopoe beach is a short walk away and is one of the best swimming beaches in Hawaii. If you don't mind spending money, the hotel at Manele Bay (actually Hulopoe) has great facilities. There aren't many slips in the marina, and they are small, shallow, and usually occupied, but sometimes there is room to stern-tie / bow-anchor between the rockpile bulkhead and the edge of the channel (we did that for several days). The harbormistress "Sherry" was helpful, but there's only so much she can do. If there's any room she will find it. As I recall, the fee was reasonable.

Lanai is a friendly island, and mostly undeveloped (there are two big hotels, one small town, a small airport, a commercial harbor, Manele Bay, and the rest is open space). There are *zero* traffic lights on the entire island, and the population is only about 2800. It's worthwhile to rent a jeep and do some exploring.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:15   #10
Eternal Member

I just love this knowledge coming in, and I appreciate it too! Our time will be limited in the islands. Probably about 3-6 weeks, so this information will help direct us to the nicer spots.

Kona, because of my father's ashes, and my greatgrandfather worked the Parker Ranch about 1900, and my grandmother was born in Kona.

Honolulu to see Hokule'a, and the Bishop Museum, and of course Kauai. Melanie is a fan of Lost.........i2f

Old 19-04-2010, 15:37   #11

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by todm View Post
On Oahu:
Kaneohe Bay would probably be the best place to anchor.
I second Kaneohe. There is also Kaneohe YC you may visit if dock is desired or you want to land dinghy.