Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2008, 20:37   #1

How is the crusing around Hawaii.

Im thinking about sailing around the area while staying on my 54ft boat.
Are there any good lagoons on some of the islands. I know the Big Island doesn't have much. I plan to keep the boat there in the summer at Kona. Then in the winter will leave Idaho to go sailing. Just wonder about some of the other island chain for neat places to
explore and hang out for a few months in the winter.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 21:00   #2

Lived in Kona for 16 years. Saw a lot of boats wintering in the bay chafe and go on the rocks. The coast line is very unforgiving on the Big Island. Just be careful.
cabron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 23:11   #3

I've also heard that hawaii in general are not that cruiser friendly.. There are a few members here that are currently cruising around there... They can give you more info.. Good luck and it sounds fun though, regardless..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 23:37   #4

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Hawaii is just a place you stop to get back to the Northwest,very few sheltered anchorages make for poor cruising.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 09:41   #5

I've been researching it a bit...

Hawai'i is not very good as a cruising destination. There are few marinas, those that exist are in poor repair and generally completely packed. Anchorages are questionable to bad, often with only a tiny layer of sand over solid coral. Winds and currents are high, which can be used to advantage but do not make for comfortable passages between islands.

In general, the preferred route to get to windward islands is to move well off of the islands to get to steady winds/waves/currents, work to windward, then come back in taking care near any channel.

"Kona" winds are an unpredictable, but which can make normally acceptable anchorages into dangerous wave-tossed lee shores.

On the other hand, it's tropical islands paradise with beautiful coral, warm waters, that's not a year away from California. Great crossroads of sailing routes in the Pacific. Excellent replenishment port at Hilo.

If you take your time and research, have realistic expectations, Hawai'i may be a great destination or stop on the way.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 12:01   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Videorov,
Welcome to the forum of many opinions. Amgine has pretty much done a good job in description. Reeds Bay in Hilo is not the best anchorage because the anchorage area is about 8-12 feet deep with a 1-2 foot layer of sediment over flat lava. You are required to put down your own mooring. Radio Bay has good holding in a little area near where the containerships and cruise ships tie. Both areas can be very bad when a North wind comes up from about November through March. Not often, but when it does then there are boats that go on the rocks because of bad moorings. The Kona side has a somewhat similar problem with Kona storms. Honokahau Harbor would be the best place to keep your boat but, of course, someone needs to die in order for you to find a slip there.
My favorite anchorages are Hanalei on Kauai (summer only) and Lahaina on Maui until the Kona storms hit. I like Lono Bay on Molokai for its remoteness and Manele Bay on Lanai. Kaneohe Bay on Oahu is fun but shallow and tricky. KoOlina on Oahu has slips available for you and is a good sheltered area (expensive). Keehi Lagoon with La Mariana Yacht Club may have slips for you. It is sheltered but is under the flight path for Honolulu. Ala Wai Boat Harbor may have slips but their piers are in bad shape. If you are retired military there are 3 good marinas, i. e. Hickam AFB, Pearl Harbor and Kaneohe. If you call these numbers on the Big Island they can give you information: 808-329-4997 (Kona side), 808-933-0414 (Reeds Bay) Hilo side, 808-933-8850 (Radio Bay) Hilo side.
Call DLNR Boating on Oahu for information on state run slips there.
There might be others who can help you.
Your plumber is Robert, right?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 12:08   #7

Boat: Tartan T4400
Depending on your expectations Hawaii is a good cruising destination. Warm water and steady winds. There are some great anchorages in Hawaii, Hanalei Bay on Kauai is a great anchorage.
Most channel crossings are 40 miles or more. Due to the high of the mountains the channnels between the islands can get windy with large seas.
Anchoring is not diffcult if you have the correct types of anchors available. Yes you have to be prepared for diferent types of bottoms.

"In general, the preferred route to get to windward islands is to move well off of the islands to get to steady winds/waves/currents, work to windward, then come back in taking care near any channel."
Not sure what you mean by this statement I sail direct from Oahu to Molokai normaly on a coures of 090. I do try to get as hi as I can so I can foot off as I reach molokai.
Kona winds are out of the south an 10 knots or less. So it will make some anchores uncomfortable it makes sailing diffcult. Kona is on the lee side of the big island in the wind shadow of t 10k foot plus mountains.
In the winter you need to be aware of our Kona storms which is a low that fors to the south of the islands. Also winter surf rules out most of the north facing anchorages.
There are enough sheltered anchorages if you are aware of the weather.
I would be a bit nervous leaving the boat on an anchor in Kona all summer long due to the small possibilty of a hurricane.
Winter is not the best time for sailing in Hawaii due to winter storms and some of the better anchors being risky due to north swells.
Yes the state run harbors are in disrepair. On Oahu you have Ko Olina marina and Waikiki Yacht Club & Hawaii Yacht club in the Ala Wai Harbor with some guest slips. There are some slips availbe in Keehi by the Honolulu airport Not sure of slips in Waianae and Halewa. Kaneohe Bay is a great anchorage. Kaneohe Yacht club is there.
If you are retired military you can get in to Pearl harboe Hickam or Kaneohe marine corp base.
Nawiliwili and Hanalei Bay are fine anchorages on Kauai
Molokai has Kaunakakai and Hale Olono that are acceptable anchorages.
Maui has Lahaina harbor you will not get a slip here.
Manele Bay on Lanai is fine for smaller boats.
Hawaii has Hilo Harbor and Kona.
There is a book out call the cruising guide to the Hawaii Island. It is a very good resource. I will post the authors name in another post.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 12:29   #8

Gudgeon: Everyone I've talked with in Hawai'i, and sailing records/advice from the late 1800s, have all suggested taking a long first tack to windward, until you're several miles beyond the turbulence of the windward islands, then beat until you're even with your destination before coming back in. The reasoning is the seas and currents are easier to deal with, and the wind more steady, than going direct.

This might not be the case if you're motoring up on a course of 90, but it's the advised route for sailing against the wind. And of course YMMV.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 13:04   #9
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
Here's some information from our Hawaii cruise in 2005:

Cruising Hawaii

As long as your expectations are realistic, Hawaii is a great place to cruise.

Finding a slip for a 54 footer is going to be a challenge.

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 14:13   #10

Boat: Tartan T4400
Amgine
Not sure what to say, in normal trade wind I can fetch Lau point on port tack from Diamond Head bouy. We do run into a hole there and the seas get confused as you have two converging channels. Normaly make it from the Ala Wai to Hale Olono in 7 to 8 hours.
If you are planning a direct transit from Honolulu to Hilo I might go to wind ward of Molokai and Maui to avoid the Aleahahanui channnel (SP). If I am going to Kona direct from Honolulu I would go to Lee ward of Molokai Lanai and Maui.
When I do a trip to wet Maui I normaly go to Kaunakakai on day one then get up early to cross the channel before the wind ans seas come up.
It depends on where you are trying to go/get. Made it from kaunakakai to Kaanapali in 4 and 1/2 hours this past july.
Last summer sail fro Oahu to Hanalei direct route in 18 hours and back in 20 stying close to shore of Kauai in both directions.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 22:19   #11

I would leave the boat in the summer at dry dock at Kona not in the
water. I don't like leaving my boats in the water.

Sounds like it might not be the best place to spend a number of months
sailing around. Maybe I will just sail off to some other island in the Pacific. I plan to be out there for around 5 to 6 months away from the
Idaho winter so I will have some time to sail to some places.
I guess I will have to take a look at some other areas out there.
Maybe head over to Baha etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
Depending on your expectations Hawaii is a good cruising destination. Warm water and steady winds. There are some great anchorages in Hawaii, Hanalei Bay on Kauai is a great anchorage.
Most channel crossings are 40 miles or more. Due to the high of the mountains the channnels between the islands can get windy with large seas.
Anchoring is not diffcult if you have the correct types of anchors available. Yes you have to be prepared for diferent types of bottoms.

"In general, the preferred route to get to windward islands is to move well off of the islands to get to steady winds/waves/currents, work to windward, then come back in taking care near any channel."
Not sure what you mean by this statement I sail direct from Oahu to Molokai normaly on a coures of 090. I do try to get as hi as I can so I can foot off as I reach molokai.
Kona winds are out of the south an 10 knots or less. So it will make some anchores uncomfortable it makes sailing diffcult. Kona is on the lee side of the big island in the wind shadow of t 10k foot plus mountains.
In the winter you need to be aware of our Kona storms which is a low that fors to the south of the islands. Also winter surf rules out most of the north facing anchorages.
There are enough sheltered anchorages if you are aware of the weather.
I would be a bit nervous leaving the boat on an anchor in Kona all summer long due to the small possibilty of a hurricane.
Winter is not the best time for sailing in Hawaii due to winter storms and some of the better anchors being risky due to north swells.
Yes the state run harbors are in disrepair. On Oahu you have Ko Olina marina and Waikiki Yacht Club & Hawaii Yacht club in the Ala Wai Harbor with some guest slips. There are some slips availbe in Keehi by the Honolulu airport Not sure of slips in Waianae and Halewa. Kaneohe Bay is a great anchorage. Kaneohe Yacht club is there.
If you are retired military you can get in to Pearl harboe Hickam or Kaneohe marine corp base.
Nawiliwili and Hanalei Bay are fine anchorages on Kauai
Molokai has Kaunakakai and Hale Olono that are acceptable anchorages.
Maui has Lahaina harbor you will not get a slip here.
Manele Bay on Lanai is fine for smaller boats.
Hawaii has Hilo Harbor and Kona.
There is a book out call the cruising guide to the Hawaii Island. It is a very good resource. I will post the authors name in another post.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07   #12

Aloha Gudgeon and Amgine,
I've found that going North (windward) to get to Hilo has been a prolonged slog that is made worse by tacking back and forth against tradewinds and current for a long distance. I'd rather do 24 hours in the the Alenuihaha than 72 hours on the windward side of Molokai and Maui.
Amgine, I think long tacks out are good for larger vessels but I certainly wouldn't do them in recreational sailing vessels. Hugging the leeward coasts until you have to poke your nose out into the channel is my normal way to go interisland.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15   #13

SMM,
Good job!
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 01-10-2008, 23:03   #14

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Videorov,you should sail your boat in Baja till March/April, then sail TO Hawaii,that would be the logical route.I Have sailed entire west coast from B.C. to Banderas Bay,onto Hawaii in April,then returning to B.C .Worst winds encountered were in last 200 mi. off Vancouver Is. (40kn.,in Aug.!)One or two months in Haw. is plenty,Baja is where you want to focus your time.I will be southbound to Baja ,from San Diego in Nov. 09'Best to sail in safest,proven window.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 00:07   #15

What is the weather like Highseas going back in

March and April? I have been reading about some nice spots to hang out
in Baja for some months. Do you know of any good place where I could keep my boat on dry dock there. If so I would just put it that aera.
Save on the sail from Hawaii. I could still venture out from Baja area maybe out to some isalnd in Pacific like Revilla Gigedo or Clipperton.
What is the best time of the year to sail out to some of the Islands in the Pacific? The Revilla Gigedo is not to far out to start with. I would like to
visit some of the island because Im a Ham Radio operator and like to
put some of the rare islands on the air that some Ham Radio operators
have not talked. Its a fun thing to do while exploring the area.
Myabe you can send me some pictures of your trip to the Baja. I would like to see them. I have a ham radio webpage that has a photo and video gallery where you can upload video to with sound.