Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2009, 04:53   #1

Boat: van de stad 40
I Am Looking for Info About Papua New Guinea

We are going to sail in South Pacific- Papua New Guinea. I cant find much sailing info about this country, marinas, anchorages, provisions etc. Please help!!!
goagoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 04:56   #2
Eternal Member

Noonsite: Papua New Guinea

See also the links in that listing. Also, try Google.

Bill

and...

Cruising Guide to Southeast Asia, Volume II," by Stephen Davies & Elaine Morgan covers Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Singapore & Malacca Strait to Phuket. ISBN 0 85288 378 1
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 05:29   #3

We loved Papua New Guinea when we visited there in 1994/95. We spent seven months in PNG and the Solomon Islands and could have stayed much, much longer.

There are caveats. The mainland of PNG can be somewhat dangerous in places, and you need to find current information regarding the good and bad places to be. However, the small villages are generally delightful, and the people are wonderful. Be sure that you bring plenty of trade items. If you are in Australia first, go to the local St. Vincent De Paul's ("St. Vinnies") or Salvation Army ("Salvos") thrift stores and buy children's clothes - school uniform dresses for girls, t-shirts and pants for boys. They will appreciate your old linens, clothes, shoes, and electronics. Their children, however, are their most important asset and whatever you bring for the children will be appreciated. Also, old reading glasses. My favorite, and the biggest hit everywhere we went, was balloons. Medical supplies should be limited to those items that will "do no harm" as most places do not have trained medical practicioners to guide the villagers. Be careful, and understand that they will not recognize that a rash they develop from something they got from you might be a serious allergy.

Also be aware that malaria is a geniune risk, and be prepared. Read up on it so you are as educated as you can possibly be.

Watermelon's logs have some info, including my (admittedly sketchy) PNG cruising guide, Papua New Guinea cruising and sailing guide and information.

I'd suggest that you read the logs of our trip through PNG first, Sailing and cruising in Papua New Guinea. which will give you more ideas about the trade items that are appreciated.

fair winds, and enjoy.
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks for reminding us of your excellent logs, and good to see you back aboard, Jeanne.
Where have you & Peter been?
How are you finding life on the “dark side”, aboard MV Watermelon?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 15:20   #5

Thanks, Gord. We've been enjoying the dark side, did the Baltic in the summer of '07, then back to Florida and the Bahamas for the winter of '07/08. Now we're on a magical mystery tour of the US via train (!) until summer, when we plan to start the Great Loop, 'circumnavigating" the eastern US via the canals and lakes and rivers of the US.

Powerboating is/has been a significant adjustment for me, though Peter is just returning to his first love with this boat. Now it's not sail trim that's important, it's docking skills! though we still prefer living on the hook to haunting marinas. That, too, is liable to change as our old bones creak even louder, I fear.
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 20:02   #6

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Just left..

Hi, We have just left after cruising there for a couple of months. We have a blog with photos on Home under the 2008 travelblog section. I would recommend getting out into the villages rather than being in towns, and can highly recommend the East Islands near New Hanover, Tsoi Boto in particualr.
Cheers,
Jill

Tags
Papua New Guinea