Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 20:05   #16

Boat: Catalina 38
Re: I need help in Cruiser's Wiki: Astoria and North Coast

The maritime museum in town is a great stop for anyone wanting to learn about the bar crossing. Lots of film of the bar during winter storms. The old CR light ship is tied up there on the river behind the museum. Many of the docents served aboard her and are a great source of helpful knowledge regarding the ins and outs of the bar crossing.

Bar crossing 101: Avoid Max Ebb
dcmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 20:27   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Agree museum is a good one. Also simply don't ever get caught on the bar at max ebb.

For those with some time to spend playing the river is easy. Cross the bar at low slack and use the flood to get into Astoria. Spend the night, or longer, and enjoy (and rest after the previous passage). Then leave Astoria at low slack and head upriver to Cathlamet, Washington, on the flood. Spend the night there - nice small town. Then grab a low tide and work up to St. Helens, stay at free dock and go out for dinner. Next day motor up Multnomah Channel (not main channel) and enjoy beautiful trip without ships. There are free places to stay in the channel (state parks). OTOH a lot of racers coming back from the Oregon Offshore and Swiftsure just brute force the trip - part of the difference in cultures.

I'll take a look at the wiki.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 20:34   #18

BTW the Pilots are available for free download from NOAA - no need to chase around and buy the expensive printed versions. There are lots of free government downloads; definitely get Chart #1 (all of the chart symbols explained) and Bowditch's Practical Navigator while downloading the latest charts.

Greg
Old 27-06-2013, 20:48   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

The CR light ship has been gone for the last 6 months, I don't know if it has returned, or will come back. I've enjoyed the museum too. Greg I would appreciate you imput to this wiki, as well as you dc.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 20:52   #20

That's too bad - that is a great attraction. I hope it is just out for painting/maintenance.

Greg
Old 27-06-2013, 22:37   #21

Boat: 1985 Islander Freeport 38C aka IF38C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Spring tides, runoff into the Columbia basin and high northwesterlies make for a potent mixture, Newt. Late summer and mid winter between storms are probably the most predictable crossing conditions but that can vary with wind conditions, releases from dams upstream as well as commercial traffic. The USCG Astoria Station is as good a resource as any in trying to scope out the optimal time of year but you will never be certain until you get there and scope out the conditions first hand.
You should have the skills to heave to outside and wait for better conditions if need be but not anywhere near the shipping channel!
I've made several deliveries up to Portland, Vancouver,WA and Astoria over the years and found the USCG one of the best sources for bar conditions in addition to trying to sort it out yourself. After you are past the entrance (well marked by channel buoys), you will find a strong outflow so be prepared for a slog upstream.
Safe Travels... Phil
Nice description of coming in. How about the optimal going out and heading north conditions? Thanks!
exterra is offline   Reply With Quote