Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 13:28   #1

in search of a lift in the south pacific

Hi I'm Alex and in 4 months I will be flying to Newzealand to begin a 2 year traveling trip . I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with sailing and traveling between the islands of polynesia could please give me advice on getting to these places by sea . I would also like to mention that if around that time anyone is planning a trip perhaps by yacht or any other boat that i would love the chance join and helpon any leg of the journy . I no its a long shot but there is no harm in trying . I have been aroun boats all my life and i am fully qualified in coastal navigation , radio use , diving and i am also a power boat instructer . I have also taken part in delivery trips from ireland to spain the longest of which was 600 miles approx .
I would love to hear from anyone who is fermiliar with this region of the world and could in any way advise me on this trip .

Thanks,
Al
Alex m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 13:52   #2

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
Al, your timing is a bit off. The majority of boats leave New Zealand to return to the islands in May and June. August is the dead of winter in New Zealand. You might consider getting a job here for six to eight months and then look for a crew position next spring. The best places to look would be around Opua, Whangarei and Auckland, in that order.

In August, your best place to find a ride on a boat around the South Pacific would probably be Tahiti. Most of the Coconut Milk Run boats pass through the Society Islands of French Polynesia during July, August, and September. That time of year, you might have some luck in the Vava'u group of Tonga or Musket Cove in Fiji. You could fly to either spot from New Zealand for relatively short money.

Good luck,

Danika
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 14:02   #3

Hey thanks for the advice it is exactly what i am looking for . The idea of going to tahiti is certainly one i would concider my love of surfing would definately push me towards that idea . I still have a lot of time before any decisions have to be made for sure perhaps waiting until april and working as you suggested mite do the trick . thanks agan for the info I greatly appreciate it
Alex m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 15:02   #4

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
Al,

My husband also surfs, so we spent lots of time in spots like Teahupoo and other less famous spots. The August and September 2007 archives of our blog detail our experiences there. If you wait until April, your crewing options from New Zealand will likely not include Tahiti, unless you find a boat returning to the West Coast of the US. To get to Tahiti on a sailboat, you should look for a ride in places like Panama, San Diego, or the Galapagos.

Most boats that start the cruising season in New Zealand do not head too far back east. About as far east as you can get would be Niue, and that would only be on a really big low. Most boats head back towards Tonga, Fiji, New Caledonia or Vanuatu before continuing on west towards Australia, or up through the Solomons or PNG before returning back to New Zealand or continuing west before the next cyclone season (ie, by November or December at the latest).

Best,

Danika
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, lift, south pacific