Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 11:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Info For Bora Bora Bucket List Charter

Capt. Blight PM me, I have done this six or seven times. Had a boat in the Moorings fleet at Raiatea. Easy to do your own provisioning at Utoroa and Viatapi. My wife is an expert on this. Buy good French wines by standing in the wine dept. of the Champion store and watch what the locals buy.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 10:05   #17

Boat: Allied 39

First FP is not closed to air tourism at the moment. But they do require a covid test less than 72 hours before departure.

Bassears comments above with another link to this site which we replied to. It may help you.

In addition we have done a writeup after doing a charter for 2 weeks out of Raiatea. We left Jacaranda on a charter mooring and joined family for the trip. After cruising FP for 5 years we already knew where we wanted to go and do.

These are tips not included in normal charter information and you may find helpful > https://www.jacarandajourney.com/charteringinfo

We draw 6' on Jacaranda and have not found any issues. As I mentioned in our write up using a GE based application. We have over 1000 GE charts available for download.

If you can afford it we recommend 2 week charter. Also highly suggest if you are going to Bora to end your charter there and fly back to Tahiti. That way you don't loose a whole day sailing back to Raiatea. Also I can recommend places to visit/stay off the boat if you want to spend some additional time in FP.

We are happy to answer any questions that you may have. Currently year 6 in FP. You can find our email in our website. Send us a note.
Old 03-01-2021, 15:31   #18

I'm headed there this coming Thursday. We booked with Dream Yachts because they had a massive sail. You have to have a negative Covid test to fly, both on United to Papeete and on Air Tahiti to Raiatea. No quarantine after you arrive, but you have to turn in a self test 4 days after arrival.
While there do appear to be a lot of cases, no one I have spoken with on any island is particularly worried. Besides, what better way to isolate than to just sail around and snorkel?
oceanbioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 15:53   #19

Boat: Beneteau 343

I did it a few years back, here is my write up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Report Tahiti Sailing Trip April 2018.pdf (282.7 KB, 54 views)
Gnomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 20:39   #20

Thanks, everybody, for the great information.

A follow-on question:

Since we arrive at PPT late, we'll spend one night on Tahiti. Once at Raiatea we'll board around 4 PM, overnight on the boat and then shove off sometime the next morning. Briefings and self-provisioning will need to be in the mix somewhere. (I'll also need a driving lesson for the cat.)

This is a vacation, not a forced march. Would folks recommend spending a second night on land before boarding and, if so, would you recommend spending it on Tahiti or Raiatea?

Thanks again.
Captain Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 22:33   #21

We are in Papaeete on our way back from a week's charter with Dream Yacht out of Raiatea. On our way in, we overnighted at the Tahiti Airport Motel. Left early the next morning. The motel is directly across the street from the airport, up a steep hill. We walked, but it was tough with our luggage. Next night we spent at a small apartment about 10K from the harbor.
Provisioning can be done in town simply enough. It is maybe 5 minute walk from the marina if using Dream Yacht. If using Moorings, you will need a car or ride.
I would stay in Raiatea so you can provision and visit Uturoa.
Also, a week is definitly not enough time. Weather kept us from going to a lot of places, but overall it has been an awesome trip.
Old 17-01-2021, 23:06   #22

Thanks! We are hoping to do 10-12 days. (Or is forever too short a time?)

How did you handle the 4th day Covid self-test? Where were you able to drop the sample vials? Are there (convenient?) drop-offs on Huahine and/or Bora Bora?
Old 17-01-2021, 23:32   #23

Hi,
We stopped by Uturoa on the 5th day and turned in the tests at the hospital. When they give you the material, there is a list of where to go at each island.
If you plan to go back after 26 Jan you have to have a negative Covid-19 test 72 hrs before your return flight. Test site hours are very limited.
Old 17-01-2021, 23:38   #24

We are planning on going in June. Since we are geezer and geezette, we won't be going unless we get vaccinated. Hopefully Biden's team will get the current debacle under control quickly. Airlines, governments, etc. are still figuring out how to manage (verifiable) proof of immunization.
Old 18-01-2021, 00:01   #25

Boat: Outremer 55L

Moorings/Sunsail offer a provisioning service, which saves a lot of time and hassle. We just topped up with fresh baguettes and cheap house wine every few days. Not sure if your provider offers that service. There are pretty good grocery shops close by if you do want to self provision, but if you can, bring your own cheese (we froze it before boarding our first flight). Also, get all the duty free booze you can, as spirits are really expensive. Wine ranges from expensive house wine to really, really expensive fine wine.

We arrived in the late afternoon from Tahiti (luckily our flight from NZ got in 90 minutes prior to the Raiatea flight, so we didn’t have to overnight in Tahiti. We overnighted on the boat, did the checkout process in the morning, and left by noon for our first anchorage. We had 11 nights / 12 days and that was perfect for three islands (we explored Raiatea, Taha’a and Bora Bora, but that was 6 years ago. If we went now we’d skip Bora Bora and spend time around Huahine instead.

But if you have to overnight in Tahiti due to your incoming flight timing, why not spend the 4 days in an Airbnb in or near Papeete before your charter? Then you don’t have to interrupt half way through to go to the medical centre in Uturoa. Find someplace near the water; we stayed three nights after our charter at https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/56855...cTayN&guests=1 and it was awesome.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 14:08   #26

Boat: Passport 42

Can only give you my approach- not sure wheee you are coming from and how jetlag will have if any an effect on you. I have not chartered but I I am a partner in a yacht that lives in the yard on Raiatea.
Normally we try and get to Raiatea as fast as we can, stay on land whilst we do the projects we have planned and need to do. Have always said I would want to explore Tahiti as well and plan to do it at the back end of a (next?) trip.
I fly in from NZ so it has normally been the flight that clears out of the airport and has you in a hotel bed around 1. In this case- as you are on vacation and if you have a similar type of flight it makes sense to possibly stay in Tahiti for another day.
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bora bora, catamaran, charter, tahiti