Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 02:22   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Itinerary for Short San Fran Bay Cruise

As usual I have to be in the Bay Area before Christmas for a few days. I'm thinking that instead of shelling out a few hundred dollars a night for a hotel, maybe I'll charter a sailboat and have a bit of a sail around the Bay while I'm at it, something I've never done.

I was surprised to see that there are quite new French boats for charter at less than $300 a day -- so no more than I would be spending on a hotel in fact.

Any denizens of the area have any suggestions about fun places to go in the Bay? I would stretch the trip out a bit so that I could get in some sailing.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:27   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Itinerary for Short San Fran Bay Cruise

Dockhead SF Bay in Christmas can be miserable or fine. That said there are a few nice anchorages in the area. Angel Island Ayala Cove. Treasure Island Aquatic Park. If the weather is good I might bring my boat down the Napa river and say hello. Angel Island is nice b/c of access to the island which is on the Marin side of the Bay. Treasure Island is under the Bay Bridge and there are not many (if any) stores on the island. Aquatic Park is very nice and you can anchor under the Ghiradelli square sign. Check to make sure that the charter comes with a dinghy. South Beach Harbor is a good spot for a mooring. It has easy access to public transport, restaurants, and shopping.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Itinerary for Short San Fran Bay Cruise

It should be noted that there can be quite dense fog down low on the bay at that time of year, with visibility less then 50 yards. Which can be annoying, when your sailing without radar, with fast ferry's nearby. Been there, done that.

It can also be quite nice when the suns out. Somewhat cool though.

A few days at Angel Island can be a treat. Best mooring in the central bay, but too spendy for a poor lass at $30 a night. Paradise cove is not too bad, well except for the $%%^& ferrys.

With just a few days, hit Angel Island and Aquatic Park.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:52   #4

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Dockhead, +1 on South Beach Harbor in San Francisco, the best place to stay in the city. It's close to transportation, grocery store, restaurants, etc. $1.25'/night. Ayala Cove is great, but you need a dinghy or move from the day docks, $15/day, to a mooring at night, $30/night = $45. Aquatic Park is also very cool, but you need a dinghy to go ashore and even if you have one, there's no really secure place to lock it up. Free/night. Call Club Nautique in Alameda or Sausalito for a charter, good folks.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise