Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2006, 16:07   #1

Iwo Jima

Went and saw "Flags of our Fathers" yesterday. Frankly I found it to be a disappointment as I was expecting a movie about the battle, from both sides, on Iwo Jima. Instead it was about the flag and the flag raisers.

Anyway, it got to wondering about Iwo Jima today. Iwo Jima was occupied by the U.S. until 1968, when it was returned to Japan.

Is it permissable to sail to this island and just explore at will? I read that special permission is required.....I guess from the Japan.
There is a small memorial at the top of mount Suribachi, so clearly they originally expected people to visit.

Has anyone sailed there?

Just found this:

Because of its status as a military base as part of the Japanese SDF, it is quite difficult to obtain permission to visit the island. On another level, the Japanese consider Iwo to be their Arlington, a sacred place not open to the outside world, and only begrudgingly to their former adversaries. To the Japanese, there apparently remains the persistent belief that American visitors come to the island to celebrate their victory over them. For the returning American veterans however, this is not the case, with the visit intended to honor the dead of both sides and the heroes that never came back.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 16:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Their is also a sister island to Iwo Jima. Don't know whether we actually invaded that island or just let it whither after taking Iwo. I seem to remember that it was easier to get permission to visit that Island but I could be wrong.

Like you, Iwo Jima is an Island I'd like to go to if I ever got that far West and North.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote