Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 20:49   #16
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Keeping an Aussie boat in NZ

I brought mine and shipped it to Singapore and paid the GST (not cheap on a brand new build) and now if l bring it to Oz l get to pay another 10% + 5%, not happy 😞

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 31-01-2016, 15:51   #17

Boat: FARR 6000, 21 foot trailer sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Hmm.. Re that kiwi flag. If you wait a few more years they might all be over here getting our dole and you can have the entire north island to yourself You could even rename it and have your own flag.

With no more intended insults to the kiwis, frankly I would rather leave my boat in Fiji.. Its still a cheap flight away and nicer weather. Obviously you would have to prep in cyclone season, but plenty of other boats do it.
TUT TUT. Us Kiwis are very sensitive.
And we are good sailors, and play good rugby!
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:05   #18

Boat: FARR 6000, 21 foot trailer sailer

Hey Hoppy, bring your boat to the Bay Of Islands. I'll look after it.
You can even register it in my name. I don't know the legal issues with that.
I worked on a 40 footer in Auckland, (re-rigged and setup new nav gear etc, it was registered in my name, owned by an American, sailed to the islands, where he sank it in a storm in New Cal. I wasn't on board at the time, the owner survived.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 21:47   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

From what I understand, there are significant entry, customs and quarantine fees to bring a yacht into Australia. Then if you are an Australian resident or citizen, you are immediately up for 5% Duty, and (currently, but may be 15% soon)10% GST (even if you are just visiting for provisioning, then departing). Also, you need to ensure you are giving the current required number of days notice before you arrive in Australian waters, or you will be prosecuted (one couple had to sell their yacht to cover the fine because the time changed while they were in transit).

With New Zealand, the officials give you a welcome pack on arrival, and up until very recently, entry was totally fee free. You can keep your yacht there for two years before you need to leave for a short period, or pay Duty and GST.

There is some great cruising ground over there, and the Mahurangi and Bay of Islands areas are just two examples (plenty of shelter also).

Hope that's useful.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:18   #20

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Many boats arrive for a temporary stay in NZ not "on their own bottom" These guys seem to visit us a couple of times a year: Home :: DYT Yacht Transport . They have all the info required.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:08   #21
DtM

David,

Any details on the couple that had to sell to cover the fine?

I strongly suspect this is either an urban myth or there was a lot more to the story than just a fine for not giving enough notice. There was ( maybe still is) a bloke in the north of Queensland that would beat these sorts of stories up in some publication he ran to further his campaign against the authorities in general.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
David,

Any details on the couple that had to sell to cover the fine?

I strongly suspect this is either an urban myth or there was a lot more to the story than just a fine for not giving enough notice. There was ( maybe still is) a bloke in the north of Queensland that would beat these sorts of stories up in some publication he ran to further his campaign against the authorities in general.
It was quite a few years ago now (7 or so, but time does fly ...). As I recall, it was an article in 'Cruising Helmsman' The couple were putting a warning out to others. As I recall, the notification period was 3 days when they left (from Indonesia or somewhere in the region), but despite checking on the website before leaving,they were advised on arrival that the notification was 7 days, and they were prosecuted. The other bit I remember of the article was the judge said "we need to make an example of people like this". I also remember at the time that there was quite a bit of 'chatter' on the forums with others adding their less than happy experiences of entry to Australia.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:39   #23
DtM

My recollection was that it wasn't Cruising Helmsman but rather some parochial rag pushing a particular anti authority barrow from north Queensland but you are correct there was a lot of chatter with a lot of unhappy experiences.

My experience was all good I must say. A lot of paperwork but smooth as can be on arrival.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 19:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
My recollection was that it wasn't Cruising Helmsman but rather some parochial rag pushing a particular anti authority barrow from north Queensland but you are correct there was a lot of chatter with a lot of unhappy experiences.

My experience was all good I must say. A lot of paperwork but smooth as can be on arrival.
OK - good to hear you had a good experience. There was recent talk of hoping Australia would wake up to the fact that cruisers spend money, and make entry as easy and cost-free as NZ. It may come.

For us, we are in the Med for a while longer yet, but one day, may be looking at bringing our yacht back to NZ (or perhaps Aust).