Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 06:40   #16

Boat: Cal 35 Pilothouse
Thank all for you great responses it's has help with the research of getting over there safely!
Blaster120763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 07:24   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
just keep an eye on your weather---it gets nasty in el nino years especially after december... .....be safe and smooth sailing...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 04:25   #18

Boat: Able 50
Are you still around ? Yesterday's weather report for California was mighty ugly.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 08:40   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Who is you?? The worst predictions of the lows dominating with the El Nino seems to be coming true. I was planning on leaving this month for Kona but the winds have been anything but cooperative. Since this thread started, there have been almost none of the reliable nw winds on the west coast. The lows just keep marching west which means a lot of southerly winds along the coast with weak variable winds following and then short periods of very strong winds. The winds further south have been very light, still mostly from the east but they've been awfully flukey with occasional winds from all directions.

It looks like the danger is not having favorable winds to make the dive south to get out of the storm zone along the California lattitudes. With light and/or southerly winds, there is a good chance of not making enough southing before the next low blows nasty weather through.

I've decided to hold off making the passage till things have a chance to shake out a bit. Got some commitments that my wife has thrown on me until mid February so will reevaluate after that. If I was going to go now, had thought about making a leasurely trip down the coast to San Diego in short hops. That would make it easy to dodge weather and not test my limited fuel supply if I had to motor. I would rather make the trip to Kona in one hop because of time commitments and there just doesn't seem to be much of a reliable window to make that possible now.

Looking at PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers There are favorable winds today but a real stinker of a storm is forecast to hit by Tuesday with another low passing through before then.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 04:32   #20

The thing to do when sailing California to Hawaii in January is to sail south at around 190 and keep going south, south, south. When you think that you have gone south enough then go south for a couple more days. Don't even think about turning right before you cross 24.

It might be well worthwhile to head for 20 and then follow a course around 260 making land below the big island. The water and air down there are always warmer than Honolulu and should offer pleasant sailing.

Expect the nights to be colder than you think and take your thermals. The nights should start at 50 and only go up to 55 until you get down to 20.

Pacific crossings in January are a whole different ball game. The high is usually way more south than you might think.
Old 17-01-2010, 07:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
... Pacific crossings in January are a whole different ball game. The high is usually way more south than you might think.
Indeed.

The Pacific High shifts South during the winter, and north during the summer.

See “Skirting the Pacific High” ➥ Skirting the Pacific High - Cruising World

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 03:29   #22

Right now the centre of the high is wayyyyyy down at 25. By reference San Diego is 32.