Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 17:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Sounds like you jerry can 40-60 liters on deck for reassurance, pick some up on the way if you need it and plan to motor sail.

Unless you are having (really) crap weather it sounds like 3 weeks should be an easy putt.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 23:02   #17
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
I just found this old thread I made a few years ago and thought I would revive it as I finally done this trip on the piver last Christmas 2009-2010.

After reading all the posts from the contributers again I can say that most of you were spot on regarding the weather and how it would necessitate a lot of motoring due to a Piver not being able to make headway into the prevailing NE wind and current. It took us 8 days and we stopped in at various ports along the way on most nights, besides twice when we could not make port in day light or the bars were too dangerous. We spent a 2 nights at Crowdy head on Christmas. Most of the time we had either very light wind or wind from the north. We did get one or two decent southerly blows where we could sail alone for half a day or so.

It was an experience and I look forward to the next trip. The Piver is currently on the hard at a Yamba property on the Clarence river undergoing repairs.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 23:46   #18

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
I did the trip north a few years back on a Seawind 1000 cat and it took us about three and a half days. We probably sailed two thirds of the way and motored the rest. We kept close inshore (about 1 - 2 miles) wherever possible to avoid the current. I came back from Southport to Newcastle in 48 hours last Christmas in a 45' modern, but medium displacement mono. Of course we headed off shore to catch the current and had a sleigh ride.
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, piver