Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 13:58   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Langkawi-Pros and Cons as a yacht base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
Hi Pelagic, Thailand allows 4 days for you to clear in. Yachts abusing this privilege are probably responsible for the AIS requirements now. We hop over to Satun, anchor off and clear in there if we want more time. The reverse is easier.
Oh and Admiral have good discounts for long term. Cheers
The Marine officer responsible for AIS requirements just happens to sell units LOL. It was nothing to do with check in times it is supposedely to control the farangs doing day trips. Everybody just turns it off when they are at anchor/moored so its basically a joke. Checking in and out of Thailand is always an interesting past-time it just depends who you get on the day. As we check in and out about once a month You get to know where and when.
Old 09-12-2015, 14:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Robert Mauritius 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
The Marine officer responsible for AIS requirements just happens to sell units LOL. It was nothing to do with check in times it is supposedely to control the farangs doing day trips. Everybody just turns it off when they are at anchor/moored so its basically a joke. Checking in and out of Thailand is always an interesting past-time it just depends who you get on the day. As we check in and out about once a month You get to know where and when.
Yes, I love it how they always blame the yachties who take up to two weeks to do the Langkawi to Phuket run. At the end of the day, the Thai's really do not care. If anyone has had a problem with the check-in process, it is usually their attitude that is the cause.
I have done that run many many times with never the blinking of an eye from the Thai officials, just learn some of their language and you will be fine.
On the Langkawi thing, don't bother with anything other than Rebak.
They will give you discounts for leaving the boat for a length of time, go with it.
You can also find some great cruisers who live there now and they will look after your boat for you, worth it! Also, get an aircon and leave it on a timer, will stop the mould.
sv_steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:58   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great Info Guys, happy to reciprocate if you are cruising the Philippines as I have cruised there for years.

Spent last night making a list of Thai & Malaysian Marinas and will start getting their rates.

Like Tientos, if we are onboard, we won't be staying at Marinas, but we may need to leave her for 2 months at a time to land/air travel.

While Subic SBYC is a secure typhoon shelter, I never feel good leaving the boat there without being around during the June to November high risk season.....

So now that we are ready to cruise again as full time liveaboards....I want to base out of Malaysia with odd trips back to the Philippines from Jan to May.

Singapore is an obvious airline and boat parts hub, so what would be the best Malaysian Marina near Singapore?

Thanks again.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:00   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Royal Langkawi is a little bumpy in the day with all the ferries. Rebak is expensive and requires a ferry + car rental to go shopping. My preffered marina when shopping is Telaga as the marina office rent out cars at a very reasonable rate. If you are going to Thailand I would recomment checking in at Koh Lipe in the high season or even Satun. The other option in Krabi where we generally keep the boat at Koh Lanta. They don't really care how long it takes to get there. And at this time are not asking about AIS although I have fitted it. PS this is not a cyclone area
Beware: the military authorities announced last week that they are ceasing a long term soft pedal on the AIS for visiting yachts and are going to "crack down" and get "tough" with "offenders". A posted penalty of six months in jail was announced.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:21   #20
CF Adviser

I am bit nervous about the subjectiveness of Thai marine administration.

A previous Owner of Stargazer apparently bought her in Sharm el Sheik and took her to Phuket.

Left her for a few months and upon their return, boat was seized for overstaying.

It cost them over $60k in fines for Thai customs to release.

So I will definitely be cruising " by the book"
Old 09-12-2015, 16:47   #21

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Singapore is an obvious airline and boat parts hub, so what would be the best Malaysian Marina near Singapore?
Actually, Langkawi is duty free(!) so an excellent place to have boat bits sent. Well served by FedEx & DHL. We've had lots of bits sent there. Telaga Marina will hold them until you arrive. (Others will too, but they'll charge). And Kuala Lumpur often has excellent airline deals. But FWIW, Puteri Harbour Marina in Jahor Baru is just across the channel from Singapore. Not the cheapest marina, but reputedly quite nice.

We've found that Thai officials are OK with yachts taking ~7 days getting from Langkawi up to Phuket, but if you take more than that they'll back-date your entry into Thailand to a week after you left Langkawi. Thailand limits your stay to: 2 weeks if you enter by road, 1 month if by air or sea, or 2 months if you have a visa, which you can get in Penang. Therefore, most boats prefer to delay their entry into Thailand, so they can stay a bit longer.

We find the Thai/AIS discussions amusing. AIS is well worth it without any officials pushing it, IMHO. We got a receiver in 2006, & got our current class-B AMEC transceiver in 2010, when they came down to $500. Best thing since GPS!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:57   #22
CF Adviser

Thanks Jon
I liked Telega Marina when we stayed there for 6 weeks in 2004. Friendly staff and practical as long as you had a rental car

What are the logistics in traveling to KL airport from Langkawi?

Tientos mentioned Port Dickson as a berth when traveling but I also noticed a new Marina at Pangkor, near Lumut.

Which would be a better berth if needing to do some frequent flying out of KL

My friend was the project manager for the Puteri Harbour Marina, so I will definitely check that one out....

My sense is that Langkawi definitely seems to be the best hub if cruising that area

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00   #23

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Thanks Jon
I liked Telega Marina when we stayed there for 6 weeks in 2004. Friendly staff and practical as long as you had a rental car

Tientos mentioned Port Dickson as a berth when traveling but I also noticed a new Marina at Pangkor, near Lumut.

My friend was the project manager for the Puteri Harbour Marina, so I will definitely check that one out....

My sense is that Langkawi definitely seems to be the best hub if cruising that area

Thanks again
Looking forward to seeing you in the area. Should still be here awhile, in the "winters".
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:39   #24

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Thanks Jon

Which would be a better berth if needing to do some frequent flying out of KL?
Telaga Marina has ~3 cars that they rent by the hour. Very handy.

The Langkawi airport is close to both Rebak & Telaga. Air Asia is ~$35 to KL (+luggage, which should be bought in advance) with several flights/day. You can do it by ferry & fancy bus, & the hiways are excellent, but it will take all day.

Getting to KL from Lumut or Pt Dickson is usually done by fancy bus, which is cheaper but longer. Pt Dickson is much closer to the KL airport (which is S of KL). There's a bare bones marina just south of Port Kelang (Klang) which may be closer to KL if it's that much of an issue.
Old 10-12-2015, 13:56   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

I've left Freeform several times at Port Dickson. Quiet and very safe, also very marina. I usually catch a cab Kl airport, by memory approx 50 mins and relatively cheap.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:41   #26

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Telaga Marina has ~3 cars that they rent by the hour. Very handy.

The Langkawi airport is close to both Rebak & Telaga. Air Asia is ~$35 to KL (+luggage, which should be bought in advance) with several flights/day. You can do it by ferry & fancy bus, & the hiways are excellent, but it will take all day.

Getting to KL from Lumut or Pt Dickson is usually done by fancy bus, which is cheaper but longer. Pt Dickson is much closer to the KL airport (which is S of KL). There's a bare bones marina just south of Port Kelang (Klang) which may be closer to KL if it's that much of an issue.

The 'bareboat' Marina is the The Royal Selangor Yacht Club' which hosts the start of the Raja Muda. But would not recommend leaving a boat here. Think serious rats the size of Australian possums! We have left, short term, Tientos' at Pangkor during our motor rebuild, but would not recommend for long term. Taxi from PD is about AUD60 to the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-12-2015, 06:05   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.
My experience in Langkawi was for 6 weeks in August 2004 while waiting for new registration after buying Star Gazer.
We stayed in Telega then (before the Tsunami)

Someone told me then that you could slowly cruise between Langkawi and Phuket (or vice a versa) anchoring at night, without first clearing in

Is this True?
I was in Langkawi a few years ago, looking at various boats. At that time, the scuttlebutt was the same as noted previously on this thread. The islands to the NNE are Thai, but, according to folks I spoke to then, there were no customs facilities on the islands. As you know, these are beautiful islands, and one can cruise slowly through them without worry as long as the voyage is not unreasonably long. If it becomes so, you can always present the argument that you had to make an unreasonably long stop to do pressing repairs. Thai officials will wink and say "OK" when your arrive, since the Thai and Malay governments are on board in terms of making Langkawi a major yachting destination that will profit both nations, due to their proximity and varied attractions. This was the scuttlebutt when I last visited, about three years ago, so please ake it for what it is worth.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 15:18   #28
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks Jon

Thanks again
Lots of daily flights from Langkawi to KL !
Puteri is nice if you like expensive bars/restaurants and a bus ride to the shops I personally stay in Senibong marina round the other side if I need to go get supplies. Pangkor marina is on reclaimed land in Lamut... Long walk to anything interesting and again for refueling you need a rent a car. Port dickson tolerated my cycling through with 60 litres a day for refueling from a local gas station and the pool is nice. Hope that helps some.
Old 13-12-2015, 15:23   #29
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Great Info Guys, happy to reciprocate if you are cruising the Philippines as I have cruised there for years.

Spent last night making a list of Thai & Malaysian Marinas and will start getting their rates.

Like Tientos, if we are onboard, we won't be staying at Marinas, but we may need to leave her for 2 months at a time to land/air travel.

While Subic SBYC is a secure typhoon shelter, I never feel good leaving the boat there without being around during the June to November high risk season.....

So now that we are ready to cruise again as full time liveaboards....I want to base out of Malaysia with odd trips back to the Philippines from Jan to May.

Thanks again.
Check out Senibong Cove Marina in JB !
Old 17-12-2015, 09:16   #30

Boat: Tayana 37

We stayed at Rebak off and on for some years, switching back and forth between there and the Yacht Haven at Phuket. Also had short stays at Telaga and Royal Langkawi.

Rebak is not the most convenient to town, but is very safe and secure -- though thank heaven were on the hard there when the tsunami took out the docks while we were at our jobs in Bangkok.

And yes, you can cruise between Langkawi and Phuket, anchoring and taking your time, going ashore on the islands, etc, before clearing in, and no one will hassle you. At least that was the way it was a few years ago.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht