Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 18:33   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Langkawi-Pros and Cons as a yacht base?

That is still the way it is now although you can do a partial check in at Koh Lipe and probably shouldn't anchor off the main beach there without checking in as they can see you, but you can anchor around the back. You still need to check in at Ao Chalong afterwards so it is only going to reduce your time allowed in Thailand to check in at Lipe.
One of the business here will get the 2 month Thai visa for you without you having to go to the embassy in Penang if you need more time also.
Not much point posting old information as things change very fast in Asia.
All the marinas in Langkawi are good and have full time live a boards, it comes down to personal preference and availability. Telarga would be considered the most popular as it is the hardest to get a permanent berth, they are expanding. Royal Langkawi is also expanding and the currently discounted due to the work going on around you and limited power.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 00:36   #32

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Kestrahl's info is current. I have been "on the watinging" for Telaga for some time.

I work in Malaysia ,so Telaga woudl be handy I can pop up on a late flight and get to the boat in 15 minutes for about 4 dollars in a taxi.

Several direct flights to Singapore daily on Air Asia. Singapore is a better to place to fly in and out of for certain places - like OZ.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 01:43   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I also contacted Rebak and they informed that there were no berths for my size
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 03:34   #34

RLYC may be your best bet. It loks like it will be nice when it is finished ( this is malaysia though- it wont be quick)

personally its far form the airport for me and Id like to avoid the ferry wake. Some people love it though.

LD
Old 20-12-2015, 10:22   #35

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
...All the marinas in Langkawi are good...
I must take issue with this 1 line. Malaysia (the govt) builds lots of marinas, & they're usually very reasonably priced, but the quality definitely is not "good" as they don't last. Mostly this is because the breakwaters are often just pilings put close together. This breaks up waves, but does little to stop swells. This is why:
  1. Royal Langkawi YC gets so much swell from the passing ferries
  2. Tanjung City Marina (Penang) fell apart (no breakwater at all)
  3. Malacca Marina broke apart (& silted up) &
  4. Labuan Marina broke apart & closed for several years for repairs (it was open in 2014 but they hadn't corrected the real problem, so I suspect it will break apart again).
I've been told that the contractors build them poorly so they'll get another contract to build the replacement, but I think it's really a design issue. Marinas that are well enclosed by earthen breakwaters (Rebak, Telaga, Straits Key, Puteri Harbor, Kudat, KK, etc) tend to fare better.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:51   #36

Selamat datang untuk bisnis di malaysia
Old 20-12-2015, 10:53   #37

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I also contacted Rebak and they informed that there were no berths for my size
If you are only looking for storage while going home or abroad then go to Pangkor Island Marina. Talk to James who is a great guy. We left our boat there for 2 seasons while home in Canada and there were no issues. They will give you a 50% discount for payment in advance and I believe that they can also haul you out as they did for us on their sealift. We are 35 tonnes and 23 metres overall with the bowsprit. you may be bigger but it is the weight which restricts them.

You can get connecting flights from Ipoh direct to KL and Singapore and it is only an extra 2 days sailing from Langkawi. Also the city of Lumut is larger with more services available as the Naval base is located there. Joe's Yachts is also great for bottom jobs, varnish, paint, etc.

This is a great spot also due to the protection from Pangkor island itself however you can get some swell from the ferries if you are on the outer pontoon.

Fuel is not available in the marina however you can fuel at a barge up the river near the old marina. We have stayed at all the marina you are considering except RLYC in Langkawi as well as Georgetown, Port Dickson and Pangkor. The best one for cost and reasonable amenities is for sure Pangkor.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 12:01   #38

Is Malaysia still Anti-Semitic. I have Tel Aviv entries in my passport and have been told that I could have problems entering Malaysia. Would I also have to hide my star of David necklace on check in.? Interested to gear from old hands at clearing into Malaysia. Thanks.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 12:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Is Malaysia Anti-Semitic?
I probably qualify as an "old hand" but I don't have Israeli stamps in my passport. Malaysia is a secular Muslim country. Israeli friends of ours could not cruise there, & I certainly wouldn't wear any stars of David in public, but they do tolerate other religions. Not sure how far that goes...
Old 21-12-2015, 02:05   #40
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Langkawi-Pros and Cons as a yacht base?

We found the authorities in Telaga to be outstanding, nice people and great service.

I would follow the advice on your Star of David given by Jon.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 21-12-2015, 04:28   #41

Boat: Mason 44

The Malaysian Jabatan Laut/Marine Department build a marina at Pulau Indah, Port Klang. For many years, there were no workshop / support services.

Today Martin / Multimax Engineering Sdn Bhd has set up his workshop to support boaters with repairs and maintenance.

Multimax Engineering sdn bhd. ”

Martin has been helpful in repairing my yanmar engine and doing the bottom work for my sailboat in 2013 at RSYC Port Klang.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 04:33   #42

Boat: Mason 44

FWIW I have been advised to enter Johor / Senibong Cove marina and Dalac (for haul out ) on rising tide. Some areas are not well dredged.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 11:29   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great info guys... Cruising between Malaysian Ports.....what are the formalities required these days by the authorities?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 14:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Cruising between Malaysian Ports, what are the formalities required these days by the authorities?
Good question. We never used to bother clearing in/out of ports if we were simply sailing within Malaysia, but the last time we went to the (now defunct) Danga Bay Marina, they wanted to kick us out of the universe (really) for not having something from the officials in Langkawi. Not sure if it was the marina being difficult or if it came from real officials (the marina folks could be jerks at times). So now it may be a good idea to have something from the Harbor Master, even when coastal cruising. This November we got clearance from Port Dickson (where we entered Malaysia) to go up to Langkawi. And Malaysian Borneo has always considered itself apart from Peninsular Malaysia, so it's necessary to get clearance to cross between.

Tags
yacht