Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 07:57   #16

Re: LaPaz and Sea of Cortez April 1st?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Everybody is different!
How do you like heat? What water temperature do you consider warm?

We hate heat and thus feel by April (and certainly May), it it too hot in Bahia de la Paz. Others like it hot.

We feel comfortable (and enjoy) swimming in 21-24°C (70-75°F) seawater - - typical for Bahia de la Paz in the Winter. In late Spring/Summer, the sea would be much warmer! Yet others feel Winter swimming is too cold, and at least one here thinks it is never warm enough.
I completely agree that everybody is different! I'm not the biggest hot weather fan, but it's more about the humidity than the temperature. I've done hikes in 90+ degree heat with a little breeze in Oregon and felt really comfortable. Those hikes were WAY better than just stepping outside on an 80 degree, muggy, windless, summer day in Wisconsin. Yes, it's still hot, but if it's a lot more tolerable if it's a dry heat. It's even better if there's a breeze and the ability to hop in the water to cool off. Also, it looks like the area cools off quite a bit in the evening, which is great! Hot weather bothers me the most when I'm trying to sleep at night.

One of the biggest concerns would be little to no wind. This is both from a comfort standpoint as well as sailing. We only have a short window for this vacation and we would prefer to spend it sailing, not motoring, from anchorage to anchorage.

We're used to summers in Wisconsin. So, any water temperature above 70 is just fine for swimming and snorkeling.

I feel like I've scoured the internet for resources on what to expect for weather and sailing conditions in the area. I took a look at the link you provided (thank you) and also found really useful information on Weather Spark: https://weatherspark.com/y/2800/Aver...ico-Year-Round I also picked up a copy of Breeding and Bansmer's Sea of Cortez A Cruiser's Guidebook 4th Edition. A lot of good information in there, but not much in the way of monthly expectations.

We're also considering areas in the Caribbean for a one-week charter during this time.
FitzpatrickMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
May and June are delightful.
What are the typical sailing conditions in June? Can you count on relatively consistent wind everyday or is it common to have several days of little to no wind from time to time?
Old 10-01-2022, 09:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Everybody is different!
How do you like heat? What water temperature do you consider warm?

We hate heat and thus feel by April (and certainly May), it it too hot in Bahia de la Paz. Others like it hot.

We feel comfortable (and enjoy) swimming in 21-24°C (70-75°F) seawater - - typical for Bahia de la Paz in the Winter. In late Spring/Summer, the sea would be much warmer! Yet others feel Winter swimming is too cold, and at least one here thinks it is never warm enough.
I completely agree that everyone is different! Thank you for that comment. I would not consider myself a hot weather fan, but I think humidity is more important to me. I've gone on hikes in Oregon in 90+ degree heat with a little breeze and felt very comfortable. On the other hand, I've been miserable just stepping outside on an 80 degree, muggy, windless, summer day in Wisconsin. Don't get me wrong, 90+ or 100 degrees is darn hot, but it's not so bad if it's a dry heat with a breeze. Also, the heat bothers me the most at night when I'm trying to sleep. It looks like it cools off at night, which is good.

We're used to Wisconsin summers. So swimming and snorkeling is not a problem in water temperatures 70 and above. It'll feel nice to jump in if it's hot.

Thank you for the link on the climate of the area. I also found good info at Weather Spark: https://weatherspark.com/y/2800/Aver...ico-Year-Round I also picked up a copy of Breeding and Bansmer's Sea of Cortez A Cruiser's Guide 4th Edition. There's a lot of good information on there about weather events, but not much in the way of what to expect on a month to month basis with respect to sailing conditions.

One big concern I have is wind. We only have a short window for this vacation and would rather spend it sailing, not motoring, from anchorage to anchorage. Are the winds fairly reliable during this time of year or is the area subject to several day periods of little to no wind? This will also impact the comfort factor with the heat.
Old 10-01-2022, 13:08   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzpatrickMac View Post
What are the typical sailing conditions in June? Can you count on relatively consistent wind everyday or is it common to have several days of little to no wind from time to time?
April is still northerlies, May and June are transition months to more southerly conditions. Winds are not as strong or consistent and may vary day to day.

Temps getting warmer.

Here are log book pages from our last cruise on the La Paz Escondito area. If you can filter through the noise on these pages you will see what winds we experienced.

Log Book Pages: Carmen Cruise

Log Book Pages: Escondito Area

Log Book Pages: South From Escondito

Log Book Pages: Toward Lapaz from San Jose

Log Book Pages: End ot Baja Cruise-Passage to La Cruz

Tags
sea of cortez