Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 20:28   #46

Boat: Seafarer 38
We made it to Cabo. For all of the talk, it ended up being a pretty turnkey trip. We motored more than planned, but it was a pretty easy voyage. Cabo is a bit much after the isolation of the Baja coast, but we won't be here long. I was looking forward to a restaurant and internet, but this place is busy. We are serenaded by outboards, and rocked to sleep (siesta), by jet skis. The anchorage isn't too bad by Baja standards, but no one would call this an anchorage back home (as can be said of pretty much the entire coast of Baja). I am looking forward to shorter days and an end of the two day passages.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11   #47

Re: Leaving San Diego for Mexico in February ?

Cool.... have fun up in the inside.! Yeah, cabo has changed a lot over the years. When I got there, the only big hotel was the od Finnesterre on the outside. no marina and a garbage burn pile in the field next to where the marina is now! That field is all hotels now If I remember right...
Dont know if you fish, but I kept supplied with fresh fish by trolling with my dingy using a silver spoon about 3" long. Just troll close and slowly near any little outcropping at the anchorage. Sierra mackeral are very tasty and plentiful and the occasional Albacore tuna is good too. (white flesh) the ones with dark red flesh are Tunny's and not good eating. Late afternoon works good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 18:55   #48

Yeah, we haven't fished since we got here, but I may go out tomorrow. We started to overheat the engine on the last few miles, not bad, but still enough for concern. I was hoping it was just a junked impeller, but it looks fine. That is my big job before we start the day trips to La Paz. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in La Paz if I can't figure it out on my own?
Old 05-03-2012, 19:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Albacore tuna is good too. (white flesh) the ones with dark red flesh are Tunny's and not good eating. Late afternoon works good.

+1 on the tunny. UGH! All else were great! We couldn't catch fish but bought them from fishermen from any cove. Cabo is good for a couple days max, then we had to run!! It gets soo much better in the sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele
Yeah, we haven't fished since we got here, but I may go out tomorrow. We started to overheat the engine on the last few miles, not bad, but still enough for concern. I was hoping it was just a junked impeller, but it looks fine. That is my big job before we start the day trips to La Paz. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in La Paz if I can't figure it out on my own?
We had an impeller fail on us when the inner disk had separated from the outside band with the blades. It may be that yours is loosening but not totally stripped. The blades LOOKED good but wouldn't pump water. We were at Isla Espirito Santo & sailed back to La Paz making it as far as Marina Costa Baja (first marina up the channel to La Paz) and had their mechanics change it (ours is on the back of the engine against a wall where you can't see it-only feel it with fingers) for quite reasonable considering all the work. Don't remember their names but they worked for the marina so probably easy to find.

Hope it helps.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 20:06   #50

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Can't think of his name but the mechanic that works around Marina de La Paz is fabulous. He doesn't speak English but is really good at figuring out obscure problems. I'll try and track his name down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 00:08   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by engele
Great that you are on the move. Now that you are moving top candidates are prop fouling (nets and fishing gear) and debris in the water pickup.

You'll be surprised how much junk accumulates...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22   #52

Thanks everyone. I dove the intake and didn't see anything. I'll check the prop shaft closer and see what it looks like. I don't like the idea of going on to La Paz without figuring it out, but Cabo doesn't seem like the type of place to hire anyone, and if it is something that needs parts I don't want to be sitting here for very long. It is great to be down the coast and finally on to some shorter days.
Old 06-03-2012, 18:20   #53

I agree with you. Going through the Ceralvo & San Lorenzo channels would be a real bear without an engine. The book Cruising with Seraffyn talks about a 16 hr sail through them. (see link). Winds funnel through them and get pretty big and the Baja Ferry, cruise ships, etc. that go through there too. We motored because it was night, big winds that are in different areas of the channel and had ships going through the channel in both directions. You should be able to find someone to help you in Cabo. Maybe the guys at the fuel dock know someone. Best of luck. Keep us up with your progress.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Giq...ed=0CDQQ6AEwAw
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 18:32   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
The anchorage isn't too bad by Baja standards, but no one would call this an anchorage back home (as can be said of pretty much the entire coast of Baja).
Actually, it is bad by Baja standards. Once you get around Los Cabos, you'll find far nicer anchorages within the Sea of Cortez.

Enjoy.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cabo was too rich for my blood--- so is la cruz de huanacaxtle-- the marina is very very highly priced. the anchorage is ok, but do not park on the rocks.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 17:39   #56

We leave for our first stop on the way to La Paz tomorrow. Taking out the thermostat didn't change much, we are still running about 200 degrees, but even full out we are not really going much higher. I ran her full out for about an hour today (about 7 knots), and the temp sits at 200. It's run at 180 in the PNW, but I am wondering if water temp could play a role in the higher running temp? In any case I am ready for somewhere more secure and laid back than Cabo. It was nice to get I to a town, but we are ready to leave. It is expensive here.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26   #57

what engine is this? I dont imagine the water is over maybe 65 there this time of year...? might make a difference though. Does it go down if you back off to medium speed? Some engines are famous for this.. Volvo MD17C maybe? On the other hand... it didnt do it before you left? I forget the closest anchorage before the Ceralvo channel... Los Frailes?. anyway, the last jump into LaPaz is a l ong day.. currnts, wind chop etc. The Lapaz channel takes a while too...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:32   #58

It is a Perkins 4108. Frailes and muertos are between La Paz and here.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40   #59

I stored my boat in Trini one summer. Just after leaving to work our way back to Florida, the engine kept running hot. Worked on it, tried things, had a mechanic look at it etc. It was a worry for a couple of weeks. Ran fine with no ill effects. Eventually discovered that the temp sender had gone bad! Some other cruiser down there must have one of those digital thermometers? Try to check the real temperature...... That is a little hot for a normal Perkins if it's running 200. Did you ever run low on water/AF? My 4-108 got an air lock once the thermostat wouldnt open. I had to open it up and fill manually in the block, then replace the t-stat. But that engine was def overheating... Have you ever looked inside your heat exchanger? If it's calcified, it might have been fine in 10-15 degree colder water, but not now....

Old 08-03-2012, 10:24   #60

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Cheechako beat me to it ! ck the Heat exchanger second after the thermostat! the rise in water temp over your home place prob set the last of the minarals in the water on to the cooling coils and you might need a clean out ! its happned to me ! so just a thought

Tags
Mexico, san diego