Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 18:51   #1

Looking to work passage from Airlie Beach to anywhere north

G'day all,

I've been introduced to this site by a friend who thought it a good way to get my plans out there, and perhaps secure passage with a friendly cruiser.

I set off from Tasmania with my car almost two months ago now. The ferry up to Melbourne and have then meandered my way up to Airlie Beach, Queensland.
A couple of months ago I quit my job and have decided that now is the time to embark on a journey that I've been toying with for over ten years now - I'm off to do a full lap of the world. Without stepping onto an aeroplane.
I have no time-frame or plan for this adventure, two/three years. Hopefully more. I'm open to any route at all.

So at the moment I've washed up in Airlie Beach, and life seems pretty good here. I plan to sell my car soon and I'm actively seeking to work my passage on a yacht, to anywhere north of here really. Which I suppose would mean S.E. Asia as the main destination. Micronesia, the Solomon Islands etc is very appealing too.

I'm a 35 year old, non-smoker, fit and able bodied, who has spent most of his career working on the water. Operating power craft, and diesel powered work boats no bigger than 14m. I have my current NSCV coxwain's, with diesel endorsement. I have approx 2.5 years commercial dive work under my belt too, although I haven't dived for a few years now.
I grew up in the Shetland Islands, so I have fair experience with being out, and being comfortable enough working in severe weather.
Sailing wise, I have some experience with this. The last time being a week ago, when I was away on my mate's yacht from the Gold Coast for three weeks. Up to Fraser and Moreton Islands and back again.

I understand that there may be very few crusier's heading north at this time of year, it being close to cyclone season. Which is fine really as I have no timeframe to be anywhere. At all.
My expectations would be to find someone who is looking for someone to pull their weight on-board their vessel, taking shifts, cooking and general upkeep of the boat. I'm confident that you would find me a relaxed and good natured soul.

Any pointers or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonno
Fillskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:15   #2

Boat: Grainger cat
Re: Looking to work passage from Airlie Beach to anywhere north

Good luck Jonno on your mission

Did a similar thing a while back myself. The hardest step can be the first; once you're on boats it's easier to stay in touch with the passagemakers world.

You are at the wrong end of the season. You may do better at a port of entry such as Cairns, Darwin might be better right now there may be boats doing the late dash across the Indian Ocean. Boats may be spending cyclone season in Cairns preparing for a next season passage offshore.

Internet didn't exist when I did it. Maybe trawling through circumnavigators blogs will turn up something. Or if you can hook up with a delivery skipper who does oversea jobs, even doing coastal deliveries will get you some sea miles under your belt.

It's a great excuse to spend a lot of time in yacht clubs talking to people. Get a sense of where the nodal points are that boats must pass througn. Darwin, Langkawi Malaysia, Galle Sri Lanka.

Let us know how you go, good luck!
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 02:18   #3

Thanks for the reply mate, always nice to hear of others doing the same before me.
I would imagine that it would of been that little bit more challenging pre-internet days. Even more fun I say.

Thanks for the helpful info and tips. I didn't plan on chucking the towel in at work, or else I may of picked a better time to depart! I've been told by a few that there's not much happening here in Airlie, and most seem to be heading south or staying put. So I'm in two minds at the moment - try and pick up a job on a sailing charter here in Airlie until people start moving again, or keep on driving up north...will spend the next few days mulling it over.

You're right though - always a good excuse for hanging about in the yacht club, talking to folk.

Will keep you posted for sure. Thanks again for your help
Jonno
Old 28-10-2015, 15:09   #4

Boat: Grainger cat

Another thought.......Whangerei in NZ would be a good place to look for boats. They congregate at the town basin there, many services concentrated in a small area, lots of boats do the off season there getting refitted. If you got offered a passage to NZ I would take it
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 17:25   #5

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

Welcome aboard Johnno...you have just missed a yacht looking for crew to Indonesia! Not many other late starters in Darwin now; they are heading into marinas for the wet season. Also keep an eye on Gumtree as crew ads are also posted there. We are heading back to SE Asia but not until next June/July. Two of our crews' journeys have been London to Australia without flying - Good Luck!
Old 31-01-2016, 01:08   #6

Hey mate,

for some reason I didn't get an email to say you'd replied to me! I haven't been on here for a good while, so I thought I would check my profile out today as it's time to start looking again.

I've got some sailing work here in town to keep me ticking over, so life is all good on that front. Basically thinking I'll be ready to go again from April onwards. If you do hear of anything then please let me know.

Kind regards,
Jonno

Tags
passage