Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 16:49   #1

Marina in Tahiti

My husband will be arriving on our sailboat next week in Tahiti. Looking for suggestions of marinas to stay. It would be nice to be near a hotel where extra family can stay. Sailboat is 38 feet.
Heather at HOme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 05:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Marina in Tahiti

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Heather at Home.

There is no marina as such in Papeete harbour, but the waterfront has been upgraded and in May 2008 new, large pontoons were installed with stern-to docking, water and electricity for at least 25 boats. Visiting yachts can also dock stern to the quay (with water and electricity) along Boulevard Pomare, a busy avenue in the heart of Papeete. There are several other places outside Papeete used by those staying longer, such as the anchorage in front of the Beachcomber Hotel, close to the airport.

Taina Marina on Tahiti's west coast, is administered by the Papeete Port Authority. All dock spaces are occupied by local yachts, although there is a visitor's quay for large super-yachts.
Marina Taina
PK9 Punaauia, PO Box 13003 Punaauia, Tahiti 98718
Tel:+689 410225, Mobile (689) 78 92 46 , Fax: +689 452758,
VHF Channel 9
Email: marinataina@mail.pf
Web: Marina Taina

For much more information,
SEE ➥ http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Fr...lynesia/Tahiti

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 05:42   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum. The last time I was in Papeete it was 1977, and we sterned up to the quay that Gord speaks of along Blvd Pomare, just down the road was the Pan American hotel, which I am uncertain of it's fate since the airline went bankrupt many years ago, they used to have the coldest beer around. Don't miss market day on Saturday. There was also a parking lot a short walk from where the boats tied up and they had a bunch of small trucks where they cooked different kinds of food that was very good. They called it "Le Trucks" appropriately enough. God it is hard to believe that was over 30 years ago, it seems like yesterday.
Old 20-05-2011, 19:42   #4

Boat: Boereal 44

You should go to the Quay. It is right in Town and if your in Tahiti then enjoy what a South Pacific big city is like. Way different than anything you will ever see anywhere else. The new and improved quay is not all that bad, a little noisy, a bit humid, not much privacy but your in the city and no buses needed. Tiana Marina really only has space for the rich and famous, there is plenty of places to anchor in front of marina for a mile in each direction. But remember the great south swells are starting to cook in the roaring 40's and even though that anchorage has a barrier reef She gets pounded pretty good and it is really a lousy, lousy place to be with a long dink ride to the marina. I sailed to Papeete 2 years ago and I will tell you it is a lot nicer city than it was when I sailed there in 1972. It was one tough town in those days with Quinns Bar as the toughest bar in the world. Long gone now and you can walk on just about any street in the city safely.
Have a lot of fun, expensive but worth it.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 14:42   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Last year we stayed on the quay, along side not med moored. Other we knew stayed on the pontoons, which is really like a marina. The quay is a nice location, big lawns and walking paths and minutes from downtown. there is a picture of the quay on our website: Home Page
We also left our boat (40') in Tiana Marina for a 3 week trip back to the US. The costs were a little high but not unreasonable, I think around US$50 or so a night?
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tahiti