Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2017, 03:07   #16

On Travel in Mindanao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I agree.

I was disappointed to not take a tour of the mountains of southern Mindanao, but all of my Filipino friends strongly advised against it while I was there (Winter-Spring 2016) (as I described in my other thread I linked above). I thought this was sad, as I wanted to go into the hills and mountains to visit some of the famous tribal areas, but everyone told me it was far too risky for an American or Westerner ("white guy") to do.
As noted above, we just got back from a N. Mindanao cruise. I know of one other individual who did the same, just a couple of weeks ago. However, even if one wanted to travel to Mindanao at the moment, it would be a bit difficult travelling the west coast, except in the area north of Butuan due to military and police ops, road blocks etc.

Personally, I would feel no danger taking public transport around most of Mindanao during the day, but I would not go south or west at the moment.

Also, I would not venture to those areas with my boat. You simply are too visible (and vulnerable) in that travel mode. As a Muslim ferry boat captain on the run from Leyte to Cebu once told me, "Don't go South, because they know whenever there is a foreigner around". How? Guess we'd have to ask the Coast Guard about that.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 01:12   #17

Re: Martial Law on Mindanao Philippines June 2017

Would like to add here, cruising around the Philippines other than Mindanao or specifically the lower half and Western regions is as normal and if using your intelligence/experience with cruising then it's fine,

I have several expat cruiser friends still living in the same marina (Samal Island-Davao-Kidnap victims) that tell me they feel happy enough to stay, ( NOTE:there is a permanent Philippines armed Coast boat moored in the Marina how ever!) cruising west from Davao wouldn't be safe but heading up the East coast route is still fine with no recorded issues( have done this route twice in the past year myself),

All other cruising area's in the Philippines remain un effected as of this time with no recorded issues,
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 05:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Would like to add here, cruising around the Philippines other than Mindanao or specifically the lower half and Western regions is as normal and if using your intelligence/experience with cruising then it's fine,

I have several expat cruiser friends still living in the same marina (Samal Island-Davao-Kidnap victims) that tell me they feel happy enough to stay, ( NOTE:there is a permanent Philippines armed Coast boat moored in the Marina how ever!) cruising west from Davao wouldn't be safe but heading up the East coast route is still fine with no recorded issues( have done this route twice in the past year myself),

All other cruising area's in the Philippines remain un effected as of this time with no recorded issues,
Good summary. Adding some further clarity, I should note that I was referring to the apparent danger in W. and S. Mindanao. The US embassy has also warned about possible kidnappings in S. Cebu and S.Negros, from an IS cell in W. Bohol. But apparently that plot was uncovered and a number of the perpetrators were captured or killed. Others had to flee Bohol.

We just came over N. Bohol w. no issues, but I not keen on other parts of the island. On the positive side is the fact that, despite the warnings, lots of folks are living happily (many on their yachts) in SW Bohol, Dumagete, Oslob, and related environs, Haven't heard of any being worried enough to pack up and leave.

Take care,

G2L
Old 21-07-2017, 06:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Good summary. Adding some further clarity, I should note that I was referring to the apparent danger in W. and S. Mindanao. The US embassy has also warned about possible kidnappings in S. Cebu and S.Negros, from an IS cell in W. Bohol. But apparently that plot was uncovered and a number of the perpetrators were captured or killed. Others had to flee Bohol.

We just came over N. Bohol w. no issues, but I not keen on other parts of the island. On the positive side is the fact that, despite the warnings, lots of folks are living happily (many on their yachts) in SW Bohol, Dumagete, Oslob, and related environs, Haven't heard of any being worried enough to pack up and leave.

Take care,

G2L
Certainly no expert, but we were all over Bohol last year ( Chocolate Hills were gorgeous). We also spent a fair amount of time on Panglao Island ( Alona Beach)

We really enjoyed our stay and at no time ever felt uncomfortable.....however, we know trouble can happen unexpectedly and without warning. With this in mind and in light of recent events involving terrorists looking for tourists to kidnap on Bohol, we would avoid this place at this time. Same goes for the areas mentioned on Mindanao, and we travel EVERYWHERE.

It's really a shame actually. Like so many troubled places around the world, my sympathies lie with the overwhelming majority of good people that reside in these areas.
Old 12-08-2017, 22:48   #20

Yes, very unfortunate and sad, especially given the current situation where tens of thousands of good folks are unnecessarily suffering.

Folks are blaming the government for over-reacting with missles, bombs and artillery, and there is probably good reason for this reaction; however, we can hope that folks remember who started the problem, and fail to support them, the next time they come knocking.

Best,

G2L

Tags
Philippines