Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 22:21   #1

Boat: Trintella 1a, 29ft
Mexico or Pacific Northwest ?

I am a school teacher with the months of June, July, and August to sail. I am thinking of heading either south to Mexico, or North to the Pacific Northwest. I am currently located on San Francisco Bay, with 3 years experience on the Bay in varied weather and water conditions. I have a Trintella 29 that I am refitting. I can trailer either north or south. Thinking of sailing south and having my son bring the trailer to Mexico at the end of the season, or trailering north and then sailing her south to SF Bay in August. I would like suggestions or comments from those more familiar with those areas during the summer months. The Trintella 29 is a solid well built boat, 29 LOA, beam 8.33", draft 4'6", displacement 8750. Any advice is welcome.
trintella1a495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 23:54   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Hurricanes or almost hurricanes down there right now. I think it's almost the end of the season, but I just read about some Baja hurricanes, most of the biggies hit in Sept.
Mexico is too great to describe, IMO. Friendly, inexpensive if you shop where the blondes don't go, and loads of good food, liquor, beer, and cigars.
Lobster Puerto Nuevo style comes to mind. A deep fried lobster and all the beans and rice, salsa, and home made tortillas you can eat plus a free margarita, all for $12.00.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 05:31   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Why not trailer back and forth from the Pac NW - it's only about a day's drive - the sailing is more interesting in Puget sound and the Gulf islands than on the outside anyway. And you won't have to retrieve your trailer.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 10:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What a choice - Mexico or PNW! Both terrific places to cruise but completely different.

You can get a little taste of our feeling for the PNW at:

Queen Charlette

And of Mexico at:

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Mexi...ing%20info.pdf

You probably should do both over the next few years. If it were me, I would start with the PNW - closer, less adminstrative hassles, a bit better sailing, more options/possibilities, pretty decent summer weather.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 10:29   #5

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Mexico in the summer is HOT, HOT and more HOT!......I know a number of full time cruisers go up to Bay of LA (Bahia De LosAngeles) north end of Sea of Cortez. The best seat in the house is a hammock strung under a catamaran out of the sun and hung in the 90 degree water.
Most insurance will not cover you south of San Carlos for the summer.
Best time of the year in the San Juans and Puget Sound.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 12:13   #6

Cricumnavigate vancouver island! Its great stop in Tofino and say hi.

wharram pahi 42 for sale!
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 13:02   #7

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Yah, the Pacific Northwest is a cruising paradise, with never-ending variety and destinations ranging from lively culture to grand solitude. And it's much cooler in high summer than Mexico!
Old 29-08-2009, 16:12   #8

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Mexico in Summer

Hurricane season for Mexico is generally between June 1 until the end of October. It is unusual, but not unheard of, to have hurricanes affect Baja California early in the season; they usually make their appearance later in the season (late August through September). Most insurance carriers will insist that the boat be north of Cabo San Lucas by June.

As has been mentioned, it is HOT in the Sea of Cortez during the summer months. It tends to be a little cooler (5-10 degrees) out in the Sea and away from the peninsula. The water is spectacular and the anchorages are tough to beat, even in summer. However, it is also prudent to be close to a hurricane hole if you're going to be in the Sea during the summer months.

Since your boat is can be trailered and given your time frame, I'd agree with most of the replies and take advantage of the beautiful cruising to be had in the Pacific Northwest. Rather than sail from San Francisco, I'd opted to trailer the boat all the way to Washington and spend my time sailing the islands.

What ever you decide, fair winds and following seas!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 17:19   #9

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
I've trailered our Com-Pac 27 to both regions. The San Juans and southern Gulf Islands are spectacular. In the summer the PNW would be an easy choice. Come winter head south to the SOC.
Here are a couple recent photo collections of our most recent trips to both areas, you decide.
PNW 2008
Mexico 2008
Old 29-08-2009, 17:59   #10

Boat: searching
The Puget Sound is where we learned to sail. Its cold, its beautiful and its cold. Do not fall off the boat, who would anyway. Great places to gunk hole and the San Juan Islands are beautiful, but they are cold. The fog usually burns off by 10 ish, then its beautiful! The wind usually picks up around noon but not always, but who cares, its..............beautiful. If you are sailing down wind on a sunny day you may take your jacket off. Always wanted to go back and sail to Alaska, I hear its cold and beautiful. When the temp in Seattle is 85 degrees the temp on the sound is a lot less. I really have to scrape the bucket for any regrets, but leaving the Seattle area has to be one.

So if you are use to the chilly waters of the SF bay head north to some very nice cruising.
Old 29-08-2009, 22:01   #11

To make it more difficult to choose...

You can drive up to "the end of the road" at Lund in BC, and be on the doorstep of Desolation Sound. Excellent, large ramp, and great facilities for storing your trailer. It's a day north of Vancouver, including the two ferry rides, which is a very long day north of SF. On your third day you could be in an evergreen-wrapped fjord...

(Gear up and load up on food in Vancouver - it starts getting pricey as soon as you make the first ferry crossing.)

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, pacific northwest