Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 16:48   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
MEXICO TO FLORIDA VIA TUCSON OR PANAMA

I'm a Florida boater so I need some help from you West Coast folks. I'm looking at a sailboat in the Sea of Cortez area. I want to get it to Fla. I can go overland via truck(Mexican to Tucson-US to Fla) or we can sail it to Panama and transit the Canel. Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm particularly interested in some info on the sailing conditions/realistic time frame for such a trip. Thanx for any info! Cptn Happy
Old 30-04-2012, 17:26   #2

Re: MEXICO TO FLORIDA VIA TUSCON OR PANAMA

Boy, did this post flop. Guess no one knew anything about these topics.
Old 30-04-2012, 17:54   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya think maybe a little more info might help ?? Maybe the size of the vessel, cuz thats a big part of the road transport costs !! Also you don't mention equipment or engine, electronics ect, these things make a difference in the trip to and thru the Canal. Its a Nice sail if ya watch the weather and the time of the year for the trip south ! Just a couple of our thoughts.
Old 30-04-2012, 18:04   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

I have done the trip from California to Maine via the Canal and had a similar issue about whether to ship or sail. I think in the long run it will be cheaper to ship it. It is a very long way from the Sea of Cortez to Panama and then up to Florida. Much depends on the variables. In my case, I wanted the adventure and experience and it was worth it. Some things most folks do not figure in: cost of fuel (even with a sailboat it you will motor more than you can ever imagine because the wind just does not blow that much when you need it.) There will be a lot of wear and tear on your vessel from running and idiot customs folks and My bill for fuel alone for a 37 foot boat would be about $5000 in today's costs. It will cost at least $1000 for the trip through the Panama Canal and when you figure the delay. You will need crew even if you are going to do it yourself because there are stretches that are beyond what a single hander can safely do (unless you want to approach the busy Canal traffic as a single hander. The problem with your question is that there is not enough information on what you intend to do yourself, what you value, what you have as your budget, what kind of time constraints you have, etc.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:22   #5

Thanx for the feedback guys. Yeah, I guess my post was a little too vague. It's a well-found 42' sloop, 13' beam. I've since found out it'll cost approx $4,000 to Tucson(not "Tuscon"). Would think about trucking it to Houston and then sailing it on to SW Fla. Pete's comments sort of confirmed my suspicions about the extent of the time/$ involved in an ocean trip-although bob & connie are right that it could be a great adventure. I was thinking of leaving it in Boca del Toro for awhile. But I do have another-perhaps more important question: what, if any, problems does one encounter buying a US registered vessel in Mexico. Are there any taxes associated with the sale? Thanx again!!! Cptn Happy
Old 30-04-2012, 19:01   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All I know About the boat registration is many years old as far as Mexico is concerned. But my understanding is there are brokers down there who KNOW How to do the registration properly for you!! There should be no big problems with USA paper work for documentation. I would still run her around thru the canal, cus the cost of shipping is 4000 to Tuson, then how much more to Huston then the shipping and un shipping mast and related gear ect ect and then have the worst of the cruise left to do !! Just my 2 cents !! But one ways expensive, so is the other but its a TRIP to remember !!
Old 30-04-2012, 19:03   #7

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Yes, I think so...because this is a US documented vessel, right ? If so to transfer title you have to comply with the formalities required by the USCG Documentation folks...inclusive is the price paid, etc....the documentation people will then subsequently, maybe some months thereafter send your new documentation certificate to you in KY and they will also notify your State taxing folks about the purchase, and depending on the Taxation practices in KY they will bill you sales tax accordingly. I believe, and others who may well know more than me will set it straight if I am wrong here, that if you bought a vessel that was registered in another country..you could keep it out of the US and not have to pay the sales tax...but then that opens other cans of worms...so to speak. But because this is a US documented vessel...they are going to catch up with you on the sales tax thing. Ya and you do not want to fudge on the value paid...not that you would but....your insurance people base most of their value for insurance reasons on what you paid when you are seeking coverage...that's a much as I know about that stuff... based solely on my own personal experiences...and I think shipping her up and over to Texas is the best way to go, especially during this time of year....best of luck with the new boat..
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:10   #8

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

cost of shipping ? Hmmm Jon and I were going to ship our 40 foot sloop from CA to NM, I think it was going to run about 7K back then. From Tucson to the Texas coast...probably the same pretty much, plus the cost of shipping from the location in Mexico....while its pricey..the option is sitting out tropical depressions or worse all along the way...nothing is easy....or cheap..what the heck !!
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:10   #9

I did this trip myself in a 30ft Bristol full keel. I left Ft. Myers and 8 days later arrived in Galveston. I went to a shrimper yard to haul and ship my boat to Tucson. From there the SanCarlos Marina came and got it. This was at the height of the oil prices in 2005, and I paid $3.07 a mile for trucking. I arranged the 10 year permit import and have stayed in SanCarlos since. I never regretted the heat and humidity and cost I avoided plus wear and tear of the boat. I have completed the Great Loop of the US/Canada mostly singlehand. The people in SanCarlos are seasoned veterans of doing this. Contact Jesus at Marina Seca in SanCarlos.
soloskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 19:15   #10

Boat: mt34dt

Have you personally inspected the boat? I would think you could find a similar comp on the east coast, especially with the added cost of shipping/transiting and travel cost.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 19:13   #11

Hey-A belated thanx to everyone. Susanna, believe it or not there is no sales tax on used boats in Kentucky-just personal property taxes, which are much lower. Soloskipper, thanx for the good info. Are you still in San Carlos?
Old 14-05-2012, 19:24   #12

Yes, I am still there . I winter at the San Carlos Marina and love it. The locals really know their stuff and will do anything to help out. The area is wonderful desert and the Baja is just a sailing day away. There are fun spots to anchor nearby and international bus and air connections. Who can argue with fresh veggies and fish every day.
soloskipper
soloskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 07:50   #13

Solo- I sent you a pm. Hope you got it.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
the documentation people will then subsequently, maybe some months thereafter send your new documentation certificate to you in KY and they will also notify your State taxing folks about the purchase,
Susanna, are you sure about this bit? I don't think the Feds get involved with State tax issues.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 16:45   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Transfer of documentation might be less than a month if the USCG bill of sale was done correctly. We live in NM and know some of the southwestern people who like to go to San Carlos but haven't yet been there ourselves.

Tags
florida, Mexico, Panama