Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 09:55   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Loved the pics of Ala Wai. Worst marina I've ever been in; except for the Harbor Pub of course

The Army sent me to Hawaii in 1977. I left the Army in '80 but stayed in Hawaii for thirty years. Bought my boat there and lived aboard in the Ala Wai and at Ke'ehi. I finally wised up and left in 2007. We sailed to the Pacific Northwest and have been cruising up here. Regret not doing it sooner.

I do miss the weather though.
Old 14-02-2009, 12:42   #17

Boat: Tartan T4400
Iroquois is no lnger a militar facility. It has been taken over by the same company who runs the housing at iroquois. The small yacht club that was there is gone and one of the two pier removed. A commercial marna management company has been hired.
Best thing to do is to take one of the courses. RBM Hickam or KMCB. One of the instructors at Rainbow takes some of the gragduates out sailing with him. Also they can introduce you to some of the boat owners at Rainbow.
WYC now has adult sailing classes check with the office. Race season is starting so walk the dock at Ala Wai o a friday afternoon and see if anyone is looking for crew.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 14:21   #18

Aloha Zoof,

I hope you're working out some kind of plan there. Lots of ideas from your posting and I know the itch may fade but will keep returning, so you've got to have a good plan.

Back when I lived in Baltimore, I remember talking with some guys who'd sprung for a used Cal 35?, each buying a quarter share. They had an agreement on maintenance costs, work, slip rental sharing, etc. The great benefit was that they almost always had someone enthusiastic to sail with.

I've never been in the Navy, but it seems like there'd be the option to form or join a club where the fractional ownership could be touted.

As for being 80th on a marina wait list, check the state and private marinas. Except for Ko Olina, they're all in the years (~2 to 4 years). I don't know about the moorings at Keehi, but the fellow who lived there must've been a sound sleeper. Those jets taking off overhead can be LOUD! From what I've heard, military marinas are some of the best deals if you can qualify.

Best of luck!
kbrilhart is offline   Reply With Quote