Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 19:39   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

Hey Brent... I'v given some thought to the issues you have raised and I understand your disapproval of the way Nanaimo Port Authority is handling the mooring situation. But there are many harbours up and down the west coast that have similar management practices. The one that comes immediately to mind is Catalina who have allowed the harbour to be filled with privately owned mooring balls with stern hook ups. The can accomodate an amazing number of boats according to sizes ranging from under 25 ft to up to 100 ft. The Harbour Authority charges a management fee to assign moorage to non owners of which there are many. The only time you are required to leave a mooring is on a 24 hour notice if the owner is arriving or there is a Santa Anna easterly blowing into the harbour which can be very problematic. My point is that there are several example of how ports can manage an overload of moorage demand safely and fairly. Much of the boating community in Southern CA tends to be fairly wealthy although there are many who live on more modest means. There are several moorages throughout the Channel Islands area that are free albeit without the amenities of pubs, restaurants and tourist shops. I can't comment on how the volume of cruisers has increased in the PNW but my guess is that it has grown significantly since I grew up there. I'd rather pay a few $ for a secure mooring than anchor amongst a mob who may drag down on me in the middle of the night or when I'm ashore for a pint. You have my sympathy that you are experiencing this in your own backyard. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52   #32
KEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
A strange conjecture that seems to have more to do with your mission to drive people away from Nanaimo then peoples anchoring habits.
When I lived in Nanaimo it seemed that most residents and businesses loathed tourists.

This change seems normal for Nanaimo and BC. In a way it might be good for Newcastle. Taking some traffic away might help preserve it. Pretty place, good memories.

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03   #33

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

This looks like a tempest in a teacup stirred up by someone with an agenda. We were tied to the dock at Newcastle Park about a week ago now. I must confess to only reading the printing on one mooring buoy so all the others may have had different lettering but the one I read said 40 foot vessel maximum, not 30 foot. And the dozen or so boats that were anchored there left plenty of room for us and several more if we had been so inclined. The park nazi came and charged us $26 per night for tying to the dock but that seemed fair because the washrooms and showers were open and heated and there was a storm blowing so we wanted to be tied up.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:07   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
This looks like a tempest in a teacup stirred up by someone with an agenda. We were tied to the dock at Newcastle Park about a week ago now. I must confess to only reading the printing on one mooring buoy so all the others may have had different lettering but the one I read said 40 foot vessel maximum, not 30 foot. And the dozen or so boats that were anchored there left plenty of room for us and several more if we had been so inclined. The park nazi came and charged us $26 per night for tying to the dock but that seemed fair because the washrooms and showers were open and heated and there was a storm blowing so we wanted to be tied up.
I was told the time on your second loonie has almost expired, before the water in the shower starts to warm slightly.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 16:20   #35

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I was told the time on your second loonie has almost expired, before the water in the shower starts to warm slightly.
Absolutely that was my experience except that it takes Canadian pesos ($2 coins) and the first one is about 1/2 gone before the water shows any evidence of heat. Somebody showering after me wouldn't have had that problem but then there wasn't another soul around, except the otter who crawled up on the float every night to crap. I managed to shower on 4 bux but it cost SWMBO 8 bux. I expect that any showerhouse you want to name in this area at this time of year would have similar "issues".
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08   #36

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

Below is a reply I got from BC Parks regarding the buoys. There are buoys for 30' and 40' boats, not just the 30' reported by BS.

Sorry not to get back to you right away John, I was at a training course.

Yes, there are buoys to accommodate either 30 foot and under or 40 foot and under boats.
In talking with our staff here, none of them have received noise complaints related to buoys in the past.
We will monitor the buoys for noise this summer to see if this is a problem.

I appreciate your concern about being able to visit Nanaimo and certainly encourage you to keep on visiting Newcastle Island and Nanaimo.

Dave

Dave Forman
Qualicum Area Supervisor
1240 Rath Road, Parksville, C.C.
V9P 2E2

ž Please consider the environment before printing this email
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Thanks John.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:12   #38

Boat: 54 foot MV Viking 1

The buoys are a big mess and eyesore. They have reduced the amount of available anchoring space in Nanaimo and are attempting to collect $12 for the privelage of attaching to a plastic float that is not permited to be tied to when the wind exceeds 30 knots. As most of the strong NW winds in the summer occur around midnite, it will be a real gong show to have people leave the buoys during a stiff wind to try and relocate in the dark. What a disgrace that the CITY of NANAIMO and PACIFIC YACHTING helped to finance this fiasco.
Old 01-04-2011, 14:12   #39

Thanks for bringing the publics attention to this Brent - I just got off the phone to register my complaint to a Mr. Dave Foreman with BC Parks in Parksville, who is the one responsible for this mess. He can be reached at 250-954-4606
Old 01-04-2011, 14:32   #40

What does Pacific Yachting have to do with the Nanaimo buoy situation? Did they lobby for the establishment of the system? I've been out of touch with the current goings on... Capt Phil
Old 01-04-2011, 14:43   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
What does Pacific Yachting have to do with the Nanaimo buoy situation? Did they lobby for the establishment of the system? I've been out of touch with the current goings on... Capt Phil
Capt. Phil - it is my understanding that they contributed $20,000 towards their installation along with funding by the City of Nanaimo. They tell me it is to be an item in their May Issue of Pacific Yachting and that they have already had a number of complaints
Old 01-04-2011, 16:11   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Absolutely that was my experience except that it takes Canadian pesos ($2 coins) ...
I hope this is in reference to the physical composition of the $2 coin.

Its real value, in case you were unaware, is 1.037 greater than the U.S. dollar as of today.

You may want to reconsider which currency more closely resembles the peso.

Sorry for the rant, but it grates me to have a derogatory remark like this made.

Now, as far as the Nanaimo situation is concerned, everybody, keep up the pressure.

Rant mode now turned off!
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 17:01   #43

Thanks, Ken... interesting that PY would inject themselves into such a controversial issue without doing a little more research. I remember the publication as a rather thin but informative magazine back in the 70's. It was the only game in town back then... cheers, Capt Phil PS... avb3, don't worry about the CDN peso... it will only go up in value in the next 5 years. wish I had more Loonies, I'd take them over US$ any day!
Old 14-04-2011, 17:52   #44
cruiser

I think the biggest fear is this is the beginning of charging for anchoring in increasing numbers of harbours around the coast. In England, you can hardly put your anchor down anywhere before someone rows out with his hand out for money. This makes cruising more and more reserved for the rich. Don't expect the fees to remain at their curent level, nor the time limits as the precedent become s entrenched , It will inevitably become increasingly more expensive and intrusive. This is just the start , the thin edge of the wedge.
Unlike the US, in Canada, everything below high tide level is public access. This reverses that standard.
Only a severe drop in the number of boaters visiting Nanaimo, and the amount of money spent there by boaters, can reverse this trend.
I think boaters can accomplish that, for our own long term self interest ,and freedom.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:19   #45

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

It has been a family tradition to pass through Nanimo in the summer one way or the other. My boat is a heavy 38' Ingrid... I wonder if 22,000 lb displacement is too much.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote