Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 12:08   #16

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Re: New Law Allows 36 Month stay in Polynesia!

Visa... IMHO .... a Problem

As for the Visa; yes it is a big problem. We were lucky in getting a long stay visa in Panama but made the mistake of only getting it for 6 months. Also in the 6 month stay they did not put 180 days (which is an option but put dates), this ended up causing us a months loss as we arrived in June instead of May. BTW we did put on our application put June 1st would be our expected date of arrival but when it came back from the French it was May 1st and as we were already getting behind in time for the Pacific crossing didn't want to stay and "fix" it should it have been possible.

While here we asked our agent if we could provide the paper work to extend to the Year and she checked with the Minister of whatever and he said No. At the embassy all we had to do was say yes, we want a year and we would have had a year. Our mistake. One I hope to never make again. Get the longest stay one can in any country; you can always leave early. BTW an American on another boat had a 6 month visa and was instructed by the embassy she visited to apply once here; she did and then was granted a one year visa. Go figure.

However 2 boats we know of received a year visa from Panama (Polynesia indicates that this is not possible outside your home country but they were given a one year anyway) and that required them to be in Tahiti within 2 months of making a Polynesian landfall. Fortunately for one boater their agent was able to take care of their paperwork in absentia (there were now in Polynesia) and they were able to stay in the Tuamotous longer then the two months.

Getting an extension in Polynesia is only possible if you have a health issue or major boat issue. We know two boats with boat issues; one boat was given a visa extension of a year; EU owner and South African wife on a South African Passport. The wife was give an extension to a year. The other boat; American, had an engine issue in the Marquesses and was given a 2 month extension. They thought they had it fixed and on the way to Tahiti another problem occurred. In Tahiti they were only given another 1 month extension. Don't expect on receiving an extension and don't expect any consistency in their application.

As for our situation loosing a month here we were not happy and asked our agent to check if that was correct. Those with the year extensions had the year from their date of arrival and not from the dates on the Visa. However after checking she found out that indeed ours is from the dates on the passport visa and thus we leave early. There are many beautiful places in the Pacific and since it is so difficult to remain here in French Polynesia spending money we are going to move on.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 12:54   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Dave
Thanks for the visa info update. It sounds like a pain in the arse to get.
What are the penalties for minor visa overstaying?
Old 29-10-2014, 13:13   #18

Boat: Scanmar 40

Hi, as a UK citizen I don' think I have visa problems in Polynesia as the French bits are considered a department of France and therefore carry the same EU rights of entry as mainland Europe. Those that are British protectorates same thing. I think only US Samoa would be a problem. Can anybody confirm this is the case.
Andy
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 15:09   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Dave
Thanks for the visa info update. It sounds like a pain in the arse to get.
What are the penalties for minor visa overstaying?
When we went the benefits of obtaining a visa were that you didn't to rush to Papeete soon after clearing in in the Marquesas. While everybody without a visa had to get to Papeete to get a visa within 60 days of arriving Hiva Oa, we spent a wonderful 5 months exploring the Islands then another leisurely month going through the Tuamotu's on our way to Papeete to get our six month visa extended.

We had the same problem as dkali in only getting a six month visa. We could have spent a year or more in the Marquesas and Tuamotus alone. Fortunately, when we went the time only started running when we arrived at Atuona so we had the full six months to explore before having to go to the 'Big City'. dkali said there was a provision in the visa that they had to check in at Papeete 2 months after arrival. They were able to get that taken care of through an agent so didn't have to rush off to Tahiti. I'm sure if they didn't have the visa, the agent wouldn't have been able to help them.

If you are the type of cruiser that likes to do things leisurely and hang out in more remote areas, get as long a visa as you can finagle before you leave. Almost no cruiser ever goes back against the prevailing winds. When you head west with the trades, it's doubtful that you'll have a chance to see those now windward islands again.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 17:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

As of right now, I am willing to run for president of the United States. I will, as one of my first duties, give all cruisers who come to the US with their own boat and at least one other family member unlimited time in the US. The boat will also have unlimited time, as long as it's bottom paint is done every two years by a respected DIY boatyard.

But: you have stay on your boat- I don't want you living with the rest of our illegal aliens. and

I want you to report your catch, and the catch of the local fishman (who doesn't report his catch) to the fish and game of the state you are residing in.

That is all. Stay tuned for election updates.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 05:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheSailor View Post
Hi, as a UK citizen I don' think I have visa problems in Polynesia as the French bits are considered a department of France and therefore carry the same EU rights of entry as mainland Europe. Those that are British protectorates same thing. I think only US Samoa would be a problem. Can anybody confirm this is the case.
Andy
The rules are slightly different than in the EU proper. See http:// http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/FrenchPolynesia?rc=Formalities#Clearance
Old 30-10-2014, 05:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The rules are slightly different than in the EU proper. See French Polynesia — Noonsite
Fix link
Old 30-10-2014, 05:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
When we went the benefits of obtaining a visa were that you didn't to rush to Papeete soon after clearing in in the Marquesas. While everybody without a visa had to get to Papeete to get a visa within 60 days of arriving Hiva Oa, we spent a wonderful 5 months exploring the Islands then another leisurely month going through the Tuamotu's on our way to Papeete to get our six month visa extended.

Peter
I see the value in the visa, but they have made it just too time consuming to be worth it it to me. Between having to spend months near an embassy, eg Panama, and not really knowing what and when you will get back, and then still having to deal with a safe place for cyclone season, I think we'll skip the visa hoops.
Old 04-01-2015, 18:59   #24

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Have to agree that French Poly have an arse around way of encouraging tourists. I have heard that it is a reaction to finding themselves burdened with people who come to paradise and run out of cash.

I have dual eu citizenship as well my Thai wife does not. The hoops for her to jump through are expensive. We got the visa but unfortunately they spelt her name wrong in the embossed visa in her passport. When we pointed out the problem got told to reapply!!

On a related topic. How do you get health insurance to cover your stay. Most we have sort have a start date and end date. Obviously this is a difficult job to say exactly when you are arriving. Any advice and options?
Old 14-01-2015, 12:15   #25

Boat: Currently boatless

We just bought DAN for the year for insurance.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:42   #26

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Livia yip have the the get you out of dodge package is this enough?
Old 17-01-2015, 12:08   #27

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Livia yip have the the get you out of dodge package is this enough?
Yep, that was enough for us.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote