Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 16:16   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Re: New requirements for entering in Mexico

This was forwarded to me today. A copy of the a press release from the Sport Fishing Association of California. A summery of the meeting held in SD.

Paragraph 5 is of particular note to the situation of entering Mexican waters and not engaging in a activity

Good Tuesday Morning,

Just a quick update for you regarding the meeting last week.

Subject: Notice to Port Tenants and Sportfishing Association Community

Update
FMM Mexico

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The following are key points from the meeting hosted in San Diego by Mexican immigration on Thursday, 10/17/13. This meeting was the formal roll out of the new process where persons transiting to Mexican Territorial waters will be required to complete a visitor request form and pay on-line a $23 fee. The following are facts from the meeting.

1. The requirement for this process and the $23 fee is based in Mexican Law.

2. This applies in the Mexican Territorial waters from 0-12 miles from the Mexican shore or land mass.

3. The web site and instructions can be found at Inicio - Instituto Nacional de Migración. There is an icon at the bottom of the page for visitors. Make sure to click the English tab on the tab of the page to proceed.

4. As a product of the meeting SAC is providing Mexican Immigration with recommendations on how to streamline the process from the users standpoint.

5. Vessels passing through that are not intending to engage in an activity in the 12 miles have a right per international law that permits them innocent passage with no requirement to participate in this process.

As refinements to the process are made we will inform you of the changes. This was clearly a positive meeting. The fact the Mexican leadership took the time to provide this meeting and go to the lengths it did demonstrated the level of cooperation that is growing in order to restore tourism to the region both north and south of the border. This meeting was attended from officials from throughout the regional government. This includes the Port Commission, Port Tenants Association, Sportfishing Association of California, City of San Diego, Congressional/Senate Offices, and the business and recreational communities from Los Angeles to Ensenada. The news media was well represented with television, radio and web based coverage.

As a footnote to this event our representatives will be meeting with the Immigration Leadership in Mexico City Tuesday morning to provide recommendations from the meeting. We hope our recommendations for a multiple re-entry document and a more streamlined process will be adopted.

We will keep you updated as information is received.

Sportfishing Association of CA | 5000 N. Harbor Dr. | Ste. 100 | San Diego | CA | 92106
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 17:14   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

To balance this requirement with what the US requires, as skipper of a foreign flagged vessel in US waters a few years ago, once obtaining the one year cruising permit for US waters, everytime I moved the vessel, I was required to notify the nearest CBP office of where the vessel was moored, who was aboard, their natioanlities and passport and visa #'s and expiration dates, My skippers license #, expiration date, vessel registration details, home port, insurance carrier and policy #, length of anticipated stay, port from which we sailed and where we were headed next. There were probably other questions which I don't recall but the requirements of Mexico don't seem so onerous when I recall what the US asks for from visitors.
Fortunately, I was able to do this by cell phone, VHF, which I avoided due to the nature of sharing personal info over open air or sat phone.
I always found the US CBP staff to be thorough, friendly but businesslike. However, travelling up or down the coast usually required a daily check-in which was just another one of the skippers' duties. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 17:37   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we have gone repeatedly over these not yet one year old rules, they are spelled out by inm online in their website as well as here in cf. i know i personally posted updates myself from inm.
i just recently returned from imigracion having retrieved the new copy of my non migrante 2 yr visa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 17:48   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we have gone repeatedly over these not yet one year old rules, they are spelled out by inm online in their website as well as here in cf. i know i personally posted updates myself from inm.
i just recently returned from imigracion having retrieved the new copy of my non migrante 2 yr visa.
Every time the rules change, the First Rule never changes: You don't have to be brilliant to cruise Mexico successfully, just nice.

Of course, our Mexican correspondent, Zeehag, knows this rule well.
Old 24-11-2013, 09:55   #20

Send a message via MSN to cruisincanucks Send a message via Yahoo to cruisincanucks Send a message via Skype™ to cruisincanucks

I think with the change in economic climate you may see the day that Mexican sailors are going to sail up to the USA... say 140 boats at a time and expect the USA citizens to welcome them and ....off course... your Navy is going to except a nice smile and a cup of coffee as they anchor for free in San diego or San fransisco Bay enjoying the riches of the cruising area ,touring the locals etc...the only difference would be that the Mexicans at least would have the courtesy to check in and buy fishing licenses
cruisincanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 11:42   #21

Boat: Caliber 40

Crusincanuck:

At least 20% if the boats in my San Diego marina are owned by Mexican Nationals (based on the number of Baja license plates I see on weekends) so I am pretty sure those 140 boats are already here.

NObody anchors for free in San Diego bay

Buying a fishing license is not mandatory in the US if you don't fish

the US Navy has nothing to do with enforcement of US immigration policy

Any nationality is welcome in the US if they spend money

No US or Mexican immigration authority forced me to count the number of cigarettes in my crew's stash as they did in Bamfield, Vancouver Island.

I've cruised in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and traveled to many dozens of countries on most continents with never a customs problem. Whenever I have made a mistake and did something wrong - a smile, apology, and request for instructions have resolved the difficulty.

I am not sure what point you were trying to make in your post.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 11:53   #22

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

It's been the law since last November...
Old 24-11-2013, 12:45   #23

Lets all be nice,
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 13:12   #24

Boat: Hunter 340

Tacoma...go easy on the immigration folks in BC. They really do need the money and all applicable duties and fees for their wacky provincial programs!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 14:00   #25

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post

To be clear you sail 3 miles over the US border from Canada then sail back and you have to check in with NYC 48 hours prior to doing that, is that correct?
My point is the Mexican requirements sound minimal compared to those in the US. I cannot see Mexican boats being allowed to sail from Tijuana to tour San Diego Harbor for a daysail.

Sailing down the Florida coast I am required to check in every time we drop anchor. And I am a US permanent resident from a visa-waiver country and my wife and kid are US citizens. I've moved through fifteen different states this year and the CBP requirements (and phone numbers) have changed every time I have moved to a new state. The CBP are polite and professional... but the system is ridiculous.

Any who has cruised US waters in a foreign registered vessel has little sympathy for US citizens complaining about the relatively simple and organized requirements of other countries. If only the US was as efficient and organized!
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 14:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Is there some confusion here about US reporting requirements?

Here is what I find in CBP.gov web site for "Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements"

Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States

Given the above - a sailing trip around the Coronados does not require a US checkin.
I could be wrong but that quote is from american border patrol. I would think who cares what the us government thinks about leaving us territory if you are in Mexican water I would be more worried about what mexico thinks.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 17:28   #27

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
I could be wrong but that quote is from american border patrol. I would think who cares what the us government thinks about leaving us territory if you are in Mexican water I would be more worried about what mexico thinks.
I was referring to comments by:

Zeehag: "apparently you do not remember the requirement made by u s customs that you had to go immediately to cop dock in sd bay and check back into usa when sailing coronado islands???? used to be a 5000 usd fine for failing to so do ..... used to be was merely 3-5 yrs ago,inclusive...i had not heard of the requirement being dropped."

and

Stevens 47: "There are numerous races that round the Coronado's from SD I will gladly provide you with pictures of all the boats not clearing customs at the police dock after the races. Yea it is still a law that is not enforced like going 65 on the freeway."

I was confused because I sail a lot out there, I check in frequently with US authorities and understood the law and regulations differently.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 00:34   #28

aah .. sorry I misunderstood. I sail corrected.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 09:16   #29

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
My point is the Mexican requirements sound minimal compared to those in the US. I cannot see Mexican boats being allowed to sail from Tijuana to tour San Diego Harbor for a daysail.

Sailing down the Florida coast I am required to check in every time we drop anchor. And I am a US permanent resident from a visa-waiver country and my wife and kid are US citizens. I've moved through fifteen different states this year and the CBP requirements (and phone numbers) have changed every time I have moved to a new state. The CBP are polite and professional... but the system is ridiculous.

Any who has cruised US waters in a foreign registered vessel has little sympathy for US citizens complaining about the relatively simple and organized requirements of other countries. If only the US was as efficient and organized!
And my point is this is not about cruising into Mexico or not about making a Mexican landfall. This is about sailing out of the SD bay on a day sail. According to how the law seems to be stated. A boat must obtain a tourist visa 48 hours prior with a complete list of crew to sail into Mexican waters not making landfall. That visa is good for 1 trip withing 6 months. It is unclear to me if another visa can be purchased within the 6 months, my dockmaster thought not.

You seem to dislike US citizens and lumping all foreign vessels as a justification about your opinions I find unfounded. I am a New Zealand resident as well does that make a difference or are New Zealanders complaining as well.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 11:42   #30

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
A boat must obtain a tourist visa 48 hours prior with a complete list of crew to sail into Mexican waters not making landfall.
My immediate point is this is a fair and reasonable requirement considering the rules imposed on foreign vessels and their crew entering the US. There are numerous threads here describing the difficulties encountered by foreign vessels and crew in the US.

The best way to resolve this would be for the US and Mexican governments come to an agreement that treats vessels from both country's fairly.

I would like to see all sailors lobby their respective lawmakers to make reciprocal agreements with other countries that ease the restrictions sailing between the countries the norm.

There are growing restrictions on all of us to sail out of our home countries. Whether it is increased entry fees for the Bahamas or the 48 hour check in for Mexico (and Australia). We need to all work together to reverse this trend.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, Mexico