Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 03:20   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

Ah Woty, anything you can do to prove the "overeasters" wrong.

Coops.
Old 22-12-2013, 03:52   #62

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Brisbane and cyclones.

A few posters have stated that Brisbane is not affected by cyclones.
Regretfully they are wrong. While it is true that cyclones don't often affect Brisbane, it is also true that on occasions, Brisbane and it's environs are affected by cyclones.

Here are a few times:
Cyclone Yali March 1998
Cyclone Rewa January 1994 (remained at sea 100Km east of Brisbane)
Cyclone Roger March 1993 (Fraser Island)
Cyclone Betsy January 1992 (Fraser Island)
Cyclone Nancy February 1990 (Byron Bay - south of Brisbane)
Cyclone Lance April 1984 (Gold Coast - south of Brisbane)
Cyclone Simon February 1980 (Fraser Island)
Cyclone Dawn March 1976 (Fraser Island)
Cyclone Colin March 1976
Cyclone Zoe March 1974 (Coolangatta - south of Brisbane)
Cyclone Pam February 1974 (seawards east of Brisbane)
Cyclone Daisy February 1972 (Fraser Island)
Cyclone Dora February 1971
Cyclone Glenda April 1967
Cyclone Elaine March 1967
Cyclone Barbara February 1967 (Lismore - south of Brisbane)
Cyclone Audrey January 1964
Cyclone Annie January 1963
Cyclone Beatrice January 1959

Prior to this, the cyclones wern't named but there have been dozens since the first recorded cyclonic gales in Brisbane in March 1864 and the early fifties.

Don't let anyone kid you that southern Queensland isn't cyclone affected.

However, don't take my word for it, have a look at an official view Tropical Cyclones in Queensland
Wotti,

Perhaps you have lived in Queensland and have experienced a cyclone in Brisbane however sure the tail ends of cyclones run south dying and sometimes with a fair bit of wind and plenty of rain at times to cause widespread flooding but generally I suggest nobody south of Bundaberg and certainly in Brisbane is preparing to be hit by a cyclone such that commonly appear from Mackay north.

Almost like Perth. Sure tail end influences cause some wind and big seas but don't expect a real cyclone that far south. Be sure the news media will attempt to make a big deal of it. Don't think any of the SE Qld boaties are worrying to much about a cyclone.

Just don't moor in the big flooding rivers during a major flood event. (Burnett & Brisbane Rivers).

Sure the tracking maps follow the paths to the death at which point are no worse than storms experienced in the South.

Enjoy a highland malt to a cyclone free Christmas.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 05:39   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Wotty will be too busy being eaten by a shark, cause thats what happens in Perth, everyone gets eaten by a shark, all the time.

With chips and a nice garnish

Anyway - if avoiding cyclones is the key then UNZUD isn't much chop. Attached image is from the Bureau of Meteorology Web Site, shows the tracks of cyclones in last 20-30 years. Appears that UNZUD gets more than Brisbane. But I am not sure I would worry too much about cyclones in either place. Both places are as has been said many times, great places. Again I can only suggest end up in the one the wind blows you too, if you don't like it then go to tudder one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 11.50.35 pm.png
Views:	170
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	72564  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 05:52   #64

Boat: Beneteau 323
Interesting regarding cyclones affecting Brisbane.

My grandparents lived in Queensland from 1909 and in Brisbane from 1940 to the late 1990's. My grandmother's maternal grandfather was a gold digger in northern Queensland during the gold rush in the 1800s and her father was the customs office in Cooktown right after the towns founding. I lived with my Grandparents as a teen and loved their stories.

In any case, they used to talk about cyclones affecting Brisbane. Maybe cyclones have had less effect in my lifetime 1971+? Climate change or just dumb luck? I think people living in Brisbane need to be prepared to be affected by one.

The recent floods in Brisbane should have been no surprise. You can count on a big flood in Brisbane every 30 years. My grandparents were ecstatic to move from the river to a housing commission sponsored house on a hill in Holland Park West in 1960 after being flooded out several times in cheap housing on the south side of the river. I think 30 years is just long enough that people tend to forget...

The drought/wet periods in western NSW and Qld that run in roughly fifteen year cycles. Lack of knowledge of these wiped out my grandfather's father's pastoral interests near Moree and

Australian climate patterns are different from most other countries. Seems to take a long time to get moving. Dramatic, like the country's landscape. Run in much longer cycles. Everything is big. Recent history is not a really good indicator. I would look back back 30 years.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:39   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wotname's got the data on this, and Shanedennis, the perspective. I think it's really hard to relate to the reality of something you haven't experienced for yourself. It is just that weather cycles may be so long that human lives do not encompass them well,

I have found Brisbane uncomfortably hot, but it only lasts for a few weeks. Unfortunately NZ stays cool and damp all summer. But it sure is green and beautiful.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:48   #66

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Only some parts of NZ are damp through summer Ann. Depends on which side of the mountain ranges.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:05   #67

And some cyclones that start at or near the Qld coast end up at or near New Zealand.. in addition to which, quite a few of the Bass strait gales find their way there too.

Anyway, Brisbane isn't the only place on the East coast you can stay. Not many cyclones hit Sydney....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 21:00   #68
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Wotti,

Perhaps you have lived in Queensland and have experienced a cyclone in Brisbane however sure the tail ends of cyclones run south dying and sometimes with a fair bit of wind and plenty of rain at times to cause widespread flooding but generally I suggest nobody south of Bundaberg and certainly in Brisbane is preparing to be hit by a cyclone such that commonly appear from Mackay north.

Agreed - on both counts and a careful reading on my post reflects the second point but perhaps you have put it better!

Enjoy a highland malt to a cyclone free Christmas.
Will do but see below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Wotty will be too busy being eaten by a shark, cause thats what happens in Perth, everyone gets eaten by a shark, all the time.

With chips and a nice garnish ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Interesting regarding cyclones affecting Brisbane.

In any case, they used to talk about cyclones affecting Brisbane. Maybe cyclones have had less effect in my lifetime 1971+? Climate change or just dumb luck? I think people living in Brisbane need to be prepared to be affected by one.

Australian climate patterns are different from most other countries. Seems to take a long time to get moving. Dramatic, like the country's landscape. Run in much longer cycles. Everything is big. Recent history is not a really good indicator. I would look back back 30 years.
Good points.
Wotty did live in Qld from '51 to '90 and spent considerable time on the coast between Coolangatta and Thursday Island. Cyclones a just a way of life but luckily for me, I never copped a big one.
Woty confesses to being a bit slack and not updating his profile as he has left the State of perpetual heat (and great whites) and is domiciled south of 43 south. No cyclones for Woti anymore; now about those southern gales....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 21:57   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Zealand or Australia For Pacific Bound Sailors

Yeah.. but Woti's sailing outa Port Huon these days... the ICW without the groundings..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 03:36   #70

Back to Rebel's original question, doesn't the answer kind of breakdown like this?

1. Both countries are great sailing destinations.
2. NZ is much cheaper than Australia.
3. NZ long term visas are easier to get and NZ immigratiom cops looser.
4. NZ is higher latitude 34 to 47, generally cooler and more difficult sailing conditions.
5. Australia is lower latitude 11 to 38 meaning generally warmer amd more predictable sailing conditions.
6. Australia is easier (safer?) to enter and leave than NZ because of 5.
7. Australia has a much bigger coastline so it has a wider range of options.
Old 24-12-2013, 03:40   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

With chips and a nice garnish

Anyway - if avoiding cyclones is the key then UNZUD isn't much chop. Attached image is from the Bureau of Meteorology Web Site, shows the tracks of cyclones in last 20-30 years. Appears that UNZUD gets more than Brisbane. But I am not sure I would worry too much about cyclones in either place. Both places are as has been said many times, great places. Again I can only suggest end up in the one the wind blows you too, if you don't like it then go to tudder one.
I think you ate your FEEESH and CHEEEPS too quickly while watching too many reruns of 'Kath and Kim'.
There are heaps more cyclones showing on your map if not hitting, then at least in the near vicinity of the West Island.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 03:45   #72
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Unfortunately NZ stays cool and damp all summer. But it sure is green and beautiful.
Eh? Maybe if you anchor in Stewart Island for the summer, but jeezuz that is an overstatement. Bay of Plenty, Auckland, and Northland can and do get stinking hot in the summer.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 04:43   #73
CLOD

Boat: none

which one has the better chesseburgers?
Old 24-12-2013, 06:11   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> Bay of Plenty, Auckland, and Northland can and do get stinking hot in the summer

To say nothing of the Canterbury Plains when the Norwesters are coming over the mountains.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 08:52   #75

Minneapolis is hot during the summer too

Tags
Australia, New Zealand, sail