Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2006, 17:23   #1
Bob Norson

Not Again ! Cyclone Monica Slams Australia . . .

Cyclone Monica swept through far northern Queensland with little damage (relitive to "Larry" ) due to sparse population and experience but now has crossed the York Penninsula and is forecast to up-grade to cat 5 and aimed straight for Nulumbuy and the town of Gove which is a popular destination and residense for live aboard yachties. Darwin is next in line with a very large boating population... will keep you posted. If info comes my way from the yacht club in Gove (a TCP distribution point) it will be posted under "EVENTS" on the site www.thecoastalpassage.com for the latest up-date from weather office click the following: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDD65811.shtml

Cheers

Bob
Old 22-04-2006, 19:38   #2
Bob Norson

Sunday the 23rd and The cat 5 cyclone appears to have missed Gove with the very worst of the winds but no word through yet. The Yacht club's phone rings but no answer and two boats that I know personally there can not be reached by their mobile/cell phones. The cyclone blew over the island group, "The Wessels" just now. It is normally a popular anchorage but I hope deserted today. Manangrida is a well populated aboriginal settlement, it is next in line before Darwin and Melville island, another aboriginal land trust.
Old 23-04-2006, 11:53   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Bob, thanks for keeping us posted - and good on 'ya for your previous work in helping folks affected by Larry. Perhaps we'll be able to have you two aboard and thank you with some Memory Juice in the future, but for now your efforts are surely appreciated, here and in general.

Hope Monica didn't kick over the TCP newstand.

Jack
Old 23-04-2006, 11:58   #4

Hey Bob.

Let's hope that cyclone Monica, didn't put a dent on your publication efforts up there in Gove?

My hats off to you. For you helping out those friends of yours, up in Innisfail. When cyclone Larry, busted the place all up!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 15:49   #5
Bob Norson

Just got up with a cuppa coffee to check action and see the last couple posts on this thread... thats pretty nice of you guys, thanks for the words. They are appreciated. The joy of this paper I've been publishing is that it has opened up a world of new friends. I can't go into a port where I don't know someone. Works both ways however, when an area is in trouble, someone I know needs help. I think Gove is OK. They got 100 mph winds but that was small potatos compared to closer to the core. Another bloody cat 5 storm. I still haven't been able to raise friends like Ray and Barb on 48 ft Oram cat "Dog on Cat" that I know are up there. No phone yet but if 100mph is what they got they were probably OK stuck up in the mangroves. I know where they are currently because they called me a couple weeks ago to complain about the governments proposed cutting of weather on the vhf, complaining that up in the far north thats all they have. If there were boats hidden in the inlets up there without access to weather they would have had a horrible/fatal surprise.

I'll be checking this AM on the path and in contact with the sailing clubs in Darwin. Still no one answering the phone at the gove club.

Cheers

Bob
Old 23-04-2006, 16:15   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Bob:
I imagine the phone lines and cell towers got knocked over in the winds but hopefully everyone is OK in their favorite hurricane hole.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 02:36   #7
Bob Norson

I got in touch very briefly with a sailing club in Darwin. Everyone is preparing and I didn't feel right about calling anymore. The people are damn busy. Some weather gurus are calling this the worst storm EVER to hit the Australian coast but I don't see it. Manangrida must be flattened but probably the aboriginals that live there are OK. Little communication from there in best of times so will have to wait to see how they are. Darwin is scrambling and tourists are fleeing. There are dedicated cyclone shelters scattered about. I'm hoping that the path the cyclone is projected to take will see it going over enough land to take the edge off it. Darwin was devistated by cyclone Tracy in 74 and I think the memory lingers. There is a sense of preparedness. I think they'll be OK and I hope the damage isn't as bad as many suggest. the whole country is already stressed for tradespeople to rebuild as Innisfail is just beginning to get under way. This is not a big country by population. Another wiped out town is going to impact everyone somehow.

ON Gove....Yeah Charlie I think/hope you are correct. Complicating the matter is the Aussie institution of Easter as a holiday time. This year complicated by ANZAC day (equal to US Memorial day) being tomorrow so finding someone on the job or something open that doesn't have to be... Even worse.... the Baramundi are running....

These are not babes in the woods. As long as craft got the word they should be tucked in and OK. I crack wise about the work habits but actual fact, if things really are bad, the Barra will wait. it was a wonder how everyone pulled together hard with Larry and how smart people worked for everyones safety. A cat 5 storm with a direct hit on Innisfail and only one life lost due to apparent heart attack. Storms this bad you worry but they are clever people up there so you hope all will be OK.

Cheers

Old 24-04-2006, 03:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bob:
Would it be reasonable to assume that ‘Monica’ shouldn’t affect Darwin nearly as grievously as ‘Tracy’ did? As I understand it, ‘Monica’ will approach over land (about a day), whereas ‘Tracy’ came directly off the ocean.
Please don’t let my ignorance of Australian geography, suggest that I mean to minimize the likely impact to the other coastal & inland areas of the Northern Territory, that you’ve mentioned (but mean nothing to me).
Good luck, all.
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 14:12   #9
Bob Norson

Spot on Gord! Yes, that’s why I didn’t see the stuff in it that the national media here were flogging. It now appears the storm has taken more of an inland track than even forecast yesterday and has turned into a PUSSYCAT!! No worries! I got a call through to Gove last night. Boat I talked to complained of a mess to clean up but that’s all. The “cat 5” that the bureau rated the storm may have been a bubble off to begin with but in any case Darwin should be OK. If I were there I would wait till tomorrow to take down the window tape and boards but should be alright. Even if the storm changes course to head back to Darwin it is getting too weak to worry. I think all are sensitized by the recent Larry.

I tried to post earlier but it failed after I hit the “submit reply” button. The site seems cranky to me. Don’t know if it’s this end or that but I now write in word and copy/paste to make sure I don’t loss the stuff.
Old 24-04-2006, 14:19   #10

Bob.

It's not your end. It's this site. Andy has been updating things. Or maybe the damn webserver, that this site is using is acting up?

Beleive me I know it's not you're end. The same thing happen to me. While I was PM'ing a fellow member on here.

This site has been rather "cranky" in some sorta way!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 24-04-2006, 15:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The cyclone is now downgraded to Cat2 with winds of 50-60knts.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 16:59   #12
Bob Norson

took a turn north and went right through Darwin but only as cat 1 or just a tropical low... not even that much rain!

cheers
Old 25-04-2006, 17:42   #13

Hooray!!!

Tags
Australia