Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 10:24   #121

Re: Pacific North West Advice

In 2011 I posted some instructions on another sailing forum on getting through the passes to the Broughtons.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacif...roughtons.html
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 12:43   #122

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Campbell River stores are closer and more convenient to the marinas downtown than in Nanaimo imo, and it is the last full provisioning stop before Port McNeill. Discovery Harbour Marina has the adjacent shopping center with Superstore, Canadian Tire, liquor stores, Riptide pub (good pub food) - Thrifty Foods/Save On better grocery stores imo and also walkable - Walmart/Home Depot less than mile away. Ocean Pacific - in Discovery Harbour boat basin - has a full-service large boatyard with travel lift, and a large well-stocked marine store. There are also many marine service providers available. The fuel dock is also in the same boat basin, ie, you don't have to suffer the Discovery Passage currents to use them and it also has a new pumpout facility.

FYI - here is the Canadian Marine Weather site;
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/region_e.html?mapID=02

today in its "special" winter all red condition - wind warnings everywhere !!
desodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:36   #123

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I believe you have over-generalized a bit with your statement...

Here is the Main page for Canada Border Services.

RE: Bear spray; If Bear Spray is printed on the canisters then Canada allows it. [EDIT: Disallowed is "...mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans"]

RE: Firearms; All must be declaired. Certain firearms are not allowed into Canada. [Mostly handguns.] Most long guns [rifles/shotguns] are not an issue.

Many cruisers up north have a shot gun on board [slugs for bears...] including us, and we have no problems declaring them as we cross borders. [In fact, further north, Canada requires we carry a long gun for personal protection from wildlife.]

I post this not to open a firearm discussion, so please don't. This is a clarification— including citations— regarding the referenced post.

Cheers! Bill
No where in Canada are you “required” to carry a firearm for protection against wildlife except maybe some areas in the arctic.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:45   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
No where in Canada are you “required” to carry a firearm for protection against wildlife except maybe some areas in the arctic.
you mean like in the Yukon territory or in the nwt.
Old 01-01-2019, 18:36   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you mean like in the Yukon territory or in the nwt.
I mean no where. 27 years working for govt in BC in the bush.
I know it is difficult for some Americans to understand, but there are places in the world were folks don’t go around tooled up for war all the time.
Old 01-01-2019, 19:25   #126
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
I mean no where. 27 years working for govt in BC in the bush.
I know it is difficult for some Americans to understand, but there are places in the world were folks don’t go around tooled up for war all the time.
There is a recent requirement in the Yukon for employers to provide adequate protection from wildlife while working in remote locations. I’m unsure if it specifies a firearm, spray or both. I’m fairly certain that spray is a minimum PPE and a firearm is required to be on site or on vehicles and all employees are required to have training for both. This comes from a case a few years back where an employee was killed on the job and the employer was deemed negligent for failing to provide adequate protection. It may not be specifically outlined in the OHS requirements but would be addressed in the employers requirement for safety and training manuals/agreement which is reviewed by OHS/WCB and signed by every employee. There is zero requirement for private individuals to carry firearms.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 19:29   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
There is a recent requirement in the Yukon for employers to provide adequate protection from wildlife while working in remote locations. I’m unsure if it specifies a firearm, spray or both. I’m fairly certain that spray is a minimum PPE and a firearm is required to be on site or on vehicles and all employees are required to have training for both. This comes from a case a few years back where an employee was killed on the job and the employer was deemed negligent for failing to provide adequate protection. It may not be specifically outlined in the OHS requirements but would be addressed in the employers requirement for safety and training manuals/agreement which is reviewed by OHS/WCB and signed by every employee. There is zero requirement for private individuals to carry firearms.
The same applies here in BC we normally carried bear spray unless working in grizzly areas.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:25   #128

Boat: 1978 Philbrooks Fast Passage 39

I've read this thread with interest, as we are currently searching for our first cruising boat, and plan to head up the inside passage once getting some practice on it. An old friend has done a lot of cruising (2x circumnavigation), and more recently has posted their accounts of cruising the BC Coast. Worth a read:

Bosun Bird - Canada's Inside Passage - Inside passage
Bosun Bird - Latest News - Saltspring to Haida Gwai
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote