Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46   #1

Boat: J/37
Pacific North West Advice

My wife and I will be spending the summer of 2019 cruising the pacific northwest. This will probably be the first post of many with questions and looking for help.

We have 2 dinghies, a hard bottom with a 15 hp and a smaller softbottom with 2 hp outboard. They both can fit upside down on the bow with motor on a stern bracket.

Trying to decide which to bring, seems like we would not need the big one as the distances in anchorages seems to be much less, its easier to beach, especially when thinking about the moving tide lines ect. But is there a reason to consider the larger boat?

Which cruising guide should we purchase? We purchased the Waggoner Guide, which others?

We have a long floating line (400') for stern anchoring, what other cruising supplies should we have that we may not be thinking about?

What other advice do you have for us?

Thanks,
Jeff
Thank you dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:37   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Pacific North West Advice

Marine Atlas Vol 1 & 2 if coming north for basic route planning and info. There is a similar atlas with same charts but has all historical info from Capt Vancouver to about the 1950's -60's along the entire IP, cant remember the name though.
https://www.amazon.ca/Marine-Olympia...42121270&psc=1

Best Anchorages if exploring south of Van island and lists a lot of anchorages with beaches. Not really worth it north of Bella Bella IMO.
https://www.amazon.ca/Best-Anchorage...15968622&psc=1

Bring the boat with the bigger engine. If you have any issues with your main engine that will be your back up and may have to navigate strong currents even getting in and out of an anchorage with zero wind. Also nice to have the extra space when doing beach dinners/bonfire for hauling everyone/thing there and back) Current tables (usually on your chartplotter but good to have a paper backup). Fishing rods, crab/shrimp pots, mosquito coils/ bug dope with one of these

https://www.amazon.ca/Coghlans-8688-...97006849&psc=1
(place up wind on boat to keep bugs down)

Bear spray for shore exploring, buckets for berry picking and foraging. Campfire favorites, chairs ect and paper plates/utensils for beach side dinner (better than dragging everything there and back.) And the obvious weather gear">foul weather gear, warm clothes extra fuel etc
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:51   #3

Bring the hard bottom dingy, most beaches are rock with barnacles. Have a dingy anchor and very long painter/anchor line. Take the anchor ashore and set it due to tides.
Any destination plans? The best cruising is in BC Canada if you have time.
Radar is nice as the later half of summer is foggy at times. You can do without though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Bring the hard bottom dingy, most beaches are rock with barnacles. Have a dingy anchor and very long painter/anchor line. Take the anchor ashore and set it due to tides.
Any destination plans? The best cruising is in BC Canada if you have time.
Radar is nice as the later half of summer is foggy at times. You can do without though.

We have radar.

We dont have any specific plans except to spend june thru september in the area. Need to be back in socal by early Oct.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2018, 14:07   #5

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

I'm a huge advocate of Charlie's Charts. The last one is 2008 called, North to Alaska and covers the entire inside passage.

https://charliescharts.com/charlies-...to-alaska.html

You didn't say you were heading north of the border. If you are, you can buy a Canadian fishing license online. Though there are limits and seasons, this will give you all year Chinook salmon, 6+ months of halibut and all the crab and shrimp you can eat.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/n.../index-eng.cfm

Best to stock up, as there are very few stores north of Campbell River, and what you find is expensive.

Not sure if you are motor or sail, but if sail, you will likely be motoring a lot, because you can't count on the winds.

Agree with Cheechako, the hard bottom. Most of the beaches and anchorages are rock, gravel and mud, with deadfall everywhere. Might want to think about your anchor too, and highly recommend adding a line on a buoy to it in case it gets fouled. Hopefully, it won't happen to you, but it has to me, ...twice.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:15   #6

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner
pirate Re: Pacific North West Advice

Head north. The San Juans in WA and the Gulf Is in BC are great, but it just gets better after that. Desolation Sound and the channels north of there. Make it through Johnstone Strait and the Broughtons are a short hop further. North of Vancouver Island you get into the real Inside Passage. If you have the time, or tend to cover a lot of miles per day, some great hot springs are within your reach. You could go all the way to Alaska.

I'm a fan of the Douglas guides, which are broken down by sub-region: Vanc Is S, Vanc Is N, Inside Passage up to AK, West Coast of Vanc Is -- all distinct cruising areas with their own pleasures and challenges.

The comment about paying attention to current tables is essential - there rapids in places that are not only dangerous, but you would be going backwards (and spinning in erratic circles) if you attempt them at the wrong time. Go through at slack water and it's easy.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
You didn't say you were heading north of the border. If you are, you can buy a Canadian fishing license online. Though there are limits and seasons, this will give you all year Chinook salmon, 6+ months of halibut and all the crab and shrimp you can eat.

Not sure if you are motor or sail, but if sail, you will likely be motoring a lot, because you can't count on the winds.

we are a J/37 sailboat, just put a brand new yanmar in boat last year and we sail well even in light air.

Are are planning to go north into Canada, up the inside passage and would like to make it over to Haida Gwaii but not sure about the cruising grounds there.
Old 05-12-2018, 14:39   #8

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

The saying is, "If you can sail around the north end of Vancouver Island, you can sail anywhere." Indeed, severe currents with the tides, and all you will see is a slight swirl in the water, as your boat does a 180.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 14:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank you dad View Post
We have radar.

We dont have any specific plans except to spend june thru september in the area. Need to be back in socal by early Oct.

Thank you
I rounded Van Isle in 6 weeks and it was one of the best cruises ever. Abandoned villages, totem poles laying on the ground, etc. But probably not for the first time PNW'er due to tides , currents and calculations...
But I love the outside of Van Isle. Short hop across to Barkley Sound once you go out the Strait. Barkley is simply amazing. You can work your way up the island to Nootka or so pretty easy. But really, you can spend weeks in Barkley.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:27   #10
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
I'm a huge advocate of Charlie's Charts. The last one is 2008 called, North to Alaska and covers the entire inside passage.

https://charliescharts.com/charlies-...to-alaska.html
I used to be as well but increasingly becoming outdated (a decade now and counting) and have been favouring the atlases instead. Fuel stations have closed, moved, phone numbers, owners have changed etc. It is too bad as they did a good job with the write ups. I still keep it on-board though.
Old 05-12-2018, 16:31   #11
rbk

Quote:
we are a J/37 sailboat, just put a brand new yanmar in boat last year and we sail well even in light air.

Are are planning to go north into Canada, up the inside passage and would like to make it over to Haida Gwaii but not sure about the cruising grounds there.
Make Bishop bay a minimum goal for the north bound trip. You can sail Hecate up to Rupert then back down the inside or visa versa weather permitting. Not much better on a cold west coast day this slipping into natural hot springs on the side of a cliff overlooking your boat. There are others but BB is more or less enroute with minimal out of the way travel.
Old 05-12-2018, 16:56   #12

Dreamspeaker Guides - Explore the Pacific Northwest with the authors is all you need.

Bring crab & prawn traps and halibut rod (if you go north of Desolation or west coast Van Island)

Be prepared for slime eels lol.

Try to move during daylight due to logs...

x2 for hard bottom dingy's...or good patching skills.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 18:40   #13

X2 on the dreamspeaker guides. Also don't be afraid to venture inland by vehicle when your in southern bc as there is some very nice areas to visit in summer. Both on Vancouver island and the mainland
stainless guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 19:23   #14

I like the Waggoner guide. Along with the ports and tides.
A copy of the Canadian tide tables is very popular with Americans as well they are a bit simpler and match up with the Canadian current atlas which is a good to have.

I also like the evergreen atlas’s. Haida Gwaii is beautiful. If you want to explore Gwaii Hannis, it’s a National Park with a requirement to visit the park ranger station first and take thier wilderness park course for the park. It’s only an hour it’s about being environmentally friendly, responsible, and respectful of the heratige sites, it’s Haida land, while in the park and some safety. Applies more to camping and kayaking than sailing but it’s a requirement for all visitors. It can be taken prior to visiting in Vancouver. Or in sandpit.

Round VI is on my to do list.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 21:46   #15

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:

Not so much light air sailing........more like narrow channels and 10kt on the nose with a 3-4kt current.......you will need the motor.....

Your 400ft line may be better as 2 200ft lines, but you will find out when you arrive.

Also bring a small spade, low tide and a beach will turn up lots of clams...
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote