Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2011, 20:13   #61

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Physical Security in Mexico - How Safe Is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
. . .Tell that to my friend in Chilpancingo whose cousin was found hanging upside down from the bridge into the city with his head neatly detached and displayed on the ledge above his feet. . .
Well, if I was to sail or anchor in Chilpancingo I would be more worried than most especially since the place is some many miles inland in the mountains north of Apaculco. I don't think the situation inland along the main drug transporting routes is indicative of the coastal or other areas in Mexico.
- - I am currently in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico and I feel safer here than when I was in the eastern Caribbean or even Florida.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 25-07-2011, 20:25   #62

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Merida? Nice. But stay away from the civiche at midnight in the plaza restaurant after a day at the pyramids. Oy!
Old 25-07-2011, 21:14   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Things that frighten me:

1. Becoming involved in an anchor thread on Cruisers Forum.
2. The United States House of Representatives.
3. The fact that there's only one week left in July.

Things that don't frighten me:

1. Spending time in La Paz.
2. Sailing the Sea of Cortez.
3. Drinking the water in Baja California.
Old 26-07-2011, 13:15   #64

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

With all due respect to those who decry the lawless behavior of Mexico yet who have never been to Mexico let alone cruised beyond their desk, we're talking about apples and oranges in an attempt to assert an agenda.

It is not only a delight to visit Mexico, it is as safe as anywhere in the US.
Both have crime, both have undesirable areas. Both have warm caring people, both have a**holes.

If we were all the same this World would be very boring!!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-07-2011, 13:16   #65

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41

Mexico has problems and that is a shame. Not everywhere, but in many many places and those places are growing.

All I am basically saying is be careful out there. I suspect that there are many places in Mexico that are pretty darn safe, and very enjoyable.
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-07-2011, 13:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
... It is not only a delight to visit Mexico, it is as safe as anywhere in the US.
Both have crime, both have undesirable areas. Both have warm caring people, both have a**holes ...
But, only/mainly Mexico has an ongoing war/armed conflict between drug cartels.
BBC News - Q&A: Mexico's drug-related violence

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-07-2011, 16:23   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
After reading the numerous responses to safety in Mexico, I couldn't help but think that if there were anywhere in the world that is beautiful and safe it certainly would be Mexico. All those lying, malevolent reporters and government statistitians who exaggerate the crime--the murders, kidnappings, beheadings and robberies are surely a figment of of a warped sense of fairness and a prejudice towards Mexico. Cheap food, cheap booze, sun and sea, what else could one ask for? And all the cruisers who have testified to their safe journeys south of the border can certainly attest that what once was in the past is truly what it is in the present. It's not everywhere in Mexico, just in the border towns. Everywhere else is Love and Peace. We cruisers are a hardy sort . . .pull the anchor, set the sails and the world is our acorn. I do, however, want to say I lived in Mexico for a year and traveled extensively. And I still have close contact with several dear friends who unabashedly report the violence is everywhere and the conditions are rapidly detereorating. But, we cruisers are a hardy sort and surely all this talk is purely propaganda by those afraid of new experiences and living life to the fullest. Tell that to my friend in Chilpancingo whose cousin was found hanging upside down from the bridge into the city with his head neatly detached and displayed on the ledge above his feet. He was not a drug dealer, a mafioso, a criminal . . .he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe his death was just a myth, like the chupacabra. It's your call. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
Did ya see where they convicted a 14yr. old boy for beheading and hanging people from bridges in Mexico.Maybe your friend will be able to get some closer at least knowing someone has been caught...understand that he only got 3 yrs. in prison, wheres the justice?he could get out when he is 17 and do it again knowing he'd only get 3 more yrs.,now thats a crazy law I think we all can agree on...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-08-2011, 06:42   #68

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Certainly an interesting thread - complete with a posting warning which I didn't see even on the 'piracy' thread - wow.

I think that many third world cruising locations tend to suffer degraded reputations based on old or isolated incidents. Having the intention to cruise in the Philippines, I am constantly warned about 'Muslim pirates' - but trying to get factual information is like trying to grab smoke (I have been in-country for five years now). Yes, there are real incidents from time to time - but the same incident seems to be repeated and elaborated for years after the fact.

My house is in Rosemead, CA - one of about eight Asian majority small cities to the east of Los Angeles. Less than a mile further east is a majority Mexican city called El Monte - the people are nice and the predominant language is Spanish. One need not actually go to Mexico if one lives in California (or likely several other southwestern states). While I have no problem going to or shopping in El Monte, I am somewhat more reluctant to go a bit further west into East Los Angeles as there is more drug and gang activity there. So even in the USA there is a wide variation in safety over a relatively small distance - how much more when discussing a nation like Mexico with four long coast lines (or the Philippines with 7,107 islands).

I suspect that no matter where one goes, if one has a good attitude and is respectful and alert, then one will find helpful friendly people to be in the majority. Local people tend to be very interested in others from far away - places they will likely never get to go and whose opinions have been informed by media - often the depiction in movies or on TV. We often think in terms of us being in a foreign exotic location - but forget that to the locals, what we see is normal and ordinary. To them, we are the exotic foreigners - people who sail the open ocean in a small boat relying on the wind. This is completely outside the experience of most locals as they go about their daily grind - no one wants to shoot you, you are the entertainment. The best information is obtained from people who have been there recently and are willing to share their experience - I, for one, really appreciate this.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Mexico, security, mexico