Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 17:35   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Planning trip in South China Sea

I have received so many great ideas from members of this forum I thought I would ask for suggestions again. Thanks in advance!

So, here is where my planning is currently:

We are currently near Sydney and will sail north to Cairns and leave in July for the Louisiades, to Kavieng, then Hermit Island and Palau. Then through the Philippines somehow arriving at Kota Kimabalu by Dec. and stay there until May 2014.

Then leave KK in May and somehow (looks complicated) go to either Jakarta or Bali or ? Before heading to Christmas Island or Cocos Keeling on our way to Africa.

There seems to be a lot of ways to do the route. Any ideas of which way you would do this trip?

Thanks again.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:49   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Planning trip in South China Sea

Probably not via the Spratlys.
Old 12-02-2013, 19:25   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Jim,

I know your planned cruising areas very well having made the trip back and forth from Cairns via PNG to Palau and SE Asia many times.

Also presently consulting on marine projects both in KK and Subic, so know their weather patterns intimately.

Your planned schedule is a bit tricky because of the West Pacific Typhoon /Rainy Season (July-Nov) enroute to Palau.

You are also missing the best cruising seasons for some of your highlighted areas so I would consider doing more of a reverse route to keep you away from open water passages during Typhoon season.

1. Aug. West from Darwin to explore Indonesia towards Bali

2. Oct. North towards KK or Kudat, option of exploring East Coast Borneo ( via Sipidan etc…)

3. Nov. Arrival Subic Bay Yacht Club Philippines for provisions and economic repairs before exploring Palawan to Visayas

4. Mar. Cruise towards Palau/Yap arriving in light wind transition period where diving is the best because of nursery aggregates from the Rock Islands. (use Hinatuan Passage)

5. May. If time/weather permits… explore east coast of PNG as you planed only clearing out of Alatau(Milne Bay) via China Pass towards Darwin.

Then from Darwin you are in a good preparation location for ocean passage towards Africa via Xmas/Cocos

Map shows this initial plan, but obviously subject to many other planning considerations I am sure you will have.

My own priorities would be to not get caught on open passages during Typhoon season and to avoid the worst of the rain, as well as to locate in places with better marine support, prior to a big passage.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route Plan.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	54591  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:29   #4

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
I have received so many great ideas from members of this forum I thought I would ask for suggestions again. Thanks in advance!

So, here is where my planning is currently:

We are currently near Sydney and will sail north to Cairns and leave in July for the Louisiades, to Kavieng, then Hermit Island and Palau. Then through the Philippines somehow arriving at Kota Kimabalu by Dec. and stay there until May 2014.

Then leave KK in May and somehow (looks complicated) go to either Jakarta or Bali or ? Before heading to Christmas Island or Cocos Keeling on our way to Africa.

There seems to be a lot of ways to do the route. Any ideas of which way you would do this trip?

Thanks again.
These guys have done the trip similar route, http://www.sailblogs.com/member/valiam/

You just need to go to the ships log, go back a bit and find the sections that interest you.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 00:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Pelagic has it nailed. Dive Palawan especially the east side near where they collect the birds nests, What drop off!
Another favorite stop was Woleai Atoll in Micronesia.

And hey, what's wrong with the Spratleys - Just because we got cannons fired at us doesn't mean its not interesting
Old 13-02-2013, 01:25   #6

Wow, thanks! A lot of new ideas to think about.
Old 13-02-2013, 01:46   #7

Banyandah, incredible story!
Old 13-02-2013, 02:25   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Jim-
Sounds like a great trip. Just how near Sydney are you?

My best to Katie.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 02:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

We just did png-palau-philippines

SY Sophia

Left PNG late December. and left Palau late Jan. A lot of boats leaving Palau for Philippines currently.

PNG was good if you avoid the trouble spots.

Nissan Island(green islands), Lanakot Bay(Lihir Island) were good. Kavieng was okey, the anchorage beside the resort was nice and safe.
Hermit Island was top notch, wouldn't miss it.
Places we were warned about, Manus Island and surrounding area and Mussau.

We were originally going to go to Palau from Vanimo but checked out of Kavieng instead due to NW monsoon. We had a hard time getting from Kavieng to Hermits. Other boats left direct from Kavieng to Palau.

Didn't hear anything good about Yap from other cruisers. Palau was great and rock islands excellent. The only downside is all the permits.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 02:56   #10

Thanks Kestrahl....I had already been looking at your website....very good!

Hi Neal, we are in Careel Bay in Pittwater and will come to Sydney sometime soon (we are getting a couple of things done here first.). Look forward to seeing you soon. I returned from the USA with some good tequila.
Old 13-02-2013, 02:58   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

we did the trip in 2003,jumping off from port vila in november via phonepei,kosirae and yap then the philipines,finally arriving in singapore in march,had great weather,no typhoons and favourable winds all the way.

i would not reccomend heading north of the /louisades/equator till after november due to the frequent typhoons and miserable nw monsoon.

fsm require a cruising permit that you can apply for online,which is needed for visits to the outer islands.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China