Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 22:19   #31

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Re: Please talk me out of buying a sailboat in San Diego/Los Angeles

EX Wanabe, Sir!
We met with you and I saw your boat. Hopefully we meet again - I plan to have Peniasco as my haul out base.
I guess Bayfiled 40 catch still sitting there for 70K - they never get back to my interest. I am glad they didn't.
I do my research for almost 2 years now. I can see now how my boat selection criteria evolved over period of the time.
I trust no one. But I am gladly listening, learning and appreciate any advise, but I have my own mind set.
My best regards to you, Sir!
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 23:06   #32

Anyone who would go to sea for pleasure would go to hell for a pastime re Mark Twain.
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:05   #33

Boat: looking

4 months ago I bought a Morgan 41' Out Island in Long Beach, Ca. She is older, 1979, but in good shape and I got her for a VERY price. She needs some cosmetic work but all else is fine and with a new motor, less than 100 hours. It was easy to get her a TIP, Mexican Insurance and Coast Guard documents via a company in Ensenada, all done online. The company name is BCConnect.com.mx I live in La Paz, BCS and looking for someone to help sail her down with me in Late June, a couple weeks from now and I have a slip in Marina Fonatur in La Paz. In general buying a boat on the Pacific side, say San Diego or LA you will find a lot of deals, and sailing down is a week long trip and an easy sail. Once I get her here I will sell half ownership. If interested is sailing or 1/2 ownership let me know. Thanks,

Steve 702 938 2699
zazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:09   #34

Boat: looking

Also, I have an office downtown La Paz for my work, I own an internet company, have plenty of room and high speed Internet.
zazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:19   #35

Thanks Steve,
I prefer to have my own boat.
What is the company in Ensenada?
The URL BCConnect.com.mx doesn't work
Do you have URL?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:03   #36
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Here's one to consider, Bob Perry design so sailing qualities are a given, and lots of interior space, interesting design. If photos are current, she's been set up for distance cruising and the price is definitely budgetable.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list..._id=81897&url=
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:21   #37

Boat: Cardinal 46

We have a fully equipped Cardinal 46 for sale in San Diego which we brought back from Mexico. Check out Windseekers and Yachtfinders in Shelter Island and ask for Ron.
edcquesada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 16:26   #38

Boat: Horstman Tri-Star45 trimaran

Like the liveaboard in Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) said, there are unlisted boats for sale in the yards. Penasco is just 1.5hrs south of Yuma, Guaymas/San Carlos 5hrs below Nogales. Spend a weekend visit, walk around the yards and talk to people and you'll get leads on some. Perhaps the San Carlos Yachts (Mazmarine.com) folks will look for unlisted boats at the Marina San Carlos and Marina Real yards.

You should also get in touch with Gabriel at Marina Guaymas, and maybe Abel at Bercovich in La Paz. They have some lien-title, abandoned "fixer-uppers" for sale cheap -- spoiler, it can be a bitch to get a US-legal title to register with USCG if the PO didn't/won't release it.
Old 12-06-2020, 17:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
My ultimate goal is cruising in Sea of Cortez. I am in Arizona.
My job contract might expire in one month. If not, (may be another 6 months) I still able to work from anywhere in the world as long as I have reasonable Internet speed.
Looking through Mexico inventory and I don't see much.
Now looking closely at California inventory and considering buying a sailboat there. I don't like California (used to live there) and prefer to stay there with a boat I buy as little as possible. Now the question.
1. How badly am I sinking myself financially into overregulated, overpriced California boat ownership for a few months?
2. Taking the boat to Ensenada soon after purchase (I still pay use tax - I know) reasonable option? I am way under qualified for single handling to sail to Sea of Cortez - therefore I stack there until Bahaha or another opportunity to have sailing partner.
Thank you upfront!

Yah, the west coast is bad news . Boats are Overpriced , sun burnt and salt pickled ...and there is something wrong with the people ....

If you like boats look on the east coast ... up north

These northern east coast boats have short sailing seasons , then spend the next 6 or eight months inside covered sheds
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 17:59   #40

A work in progress for Coast Guard documentation is sufficient also.
SVClownshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 18:19   #41

Thank you, guys for input - reading them all.
Just came from San Diego... I glad I stuck in AZ for all these years.
Two nights hotel patio drunk parties. Police calls from the hotel personal - police no show. Every morning emergency response team coming to pickup totally wasted bodies. I definitely don't want to spend even extra hour on California soil after a boat purchase. So.. working from CA - no go. Ensenada... as an option but I will find myself locked there and taking sail south will kill my job contract. May be after my contract terminates if I don't find what I like in Mexico.
On positive note I got call from my superior and he told me my contract will continue for another 6 months (minimum). So... Mexico is my decision at least for now. Yes, internet can be sketchy - I will buy wireless if I have to. I can travel from location to location via air and look into boats - Just in a few weeks (I hope) until Mexico settles down.
Old 15-06-2020, 10:41   #42

Boat: 2014 Lagoon 39

We are also in AZ and telecommute. Look on Yachtworld down in Panama, use a qualified broker, have it delivered up to Sea of Cortez, and access from Puerto Penasco. Good luck!
Dave
dbsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 10:57   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Ruso. In your first post you stated you know you will pay use tax even though you plan to move boat to Ensenada. You can avoid California sales tax on a boat purchased there if you take offshore delivery. A number of threads on that. Find the boat you want and don’t worry too much about it’s current geography. The marinas in Ensenada are much cheaper than San Diego. You can get virtually anything done there you can in San Diego. Getting parts is sometimes an issue.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 11:19   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsaz View Post
We are also in AZ and telecommute. Look on Yachtworld down in Panama, use a qualified broker, have it delivered up to Sea of Cortez, and access from Puerto Penasco. Good luck!
Dave
Payed delivery ($5K?)from very south would be deal killer. But if I stay on contract for another 6 months I would not worry about extra $5K and sitting in hotel and working while my boat gets delivered, might be feasible option.
Another option my boat can be hauled to Puerto Penasco by Cobrales boatyard - I can do ownership transfer on the way in AZ with proper legal precautions for the seller.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Yah, the west coast is bad news . Boats are Overpriced , sun burnt and salt pickled ...and there is something wrong with the people ....

If you like boats look on the east coast ... up north

These northern east coast boats have short sailing seasons , then spend the next 6 or eight months inside covered sheds
You are sooo right.. Been searching for a long time and people on the West coast just seem delusional and way too emotionally attached to their boats. For the same price, you can get 3 times the boat, and I don't mean just size for the price.. As you stated, the boats on the east coast are so much better loved and with them being under temperature controlled sheds, they look nearly new or better then new.. For the difference, I could get a great boat on the east coast and sail her back to the West coast and still not spend the same amount of money buying one here.. Not to mention the enjoyment I would have getting her back... Just silly some peeps are...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, lease, sail, sailboat, san diego