Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2023, 16:55   #1

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Pumpouts in Alaska

Howdy everyone, I have been trying to find information about Alaska, specifically finding pump out stations, I have been able to find any resource that lists where they are.

From what I have read online the 3 mile from shore no discharge rule applies, and I have a smaller tank on my boat, it is only 30 gallons, so trying to be sure that I can do what I need to do without any issues.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2023, 17:08   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Pumpouts in Alaska

Lots of ‘larger’ community docks have pump outs that may or may not be working You can try Charlie’s charts (not sure if the most recent publication) but it does provide a good breakdown of services in SE AK. Aside from that you could contact harbour masters in each location and see if it’s available and more importantly if it’s in operation. Be aware that if you are here early season most smaller places shut water and pump outs, showers, rest rooms down for the winter and can extend well into April.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 17:09   #3

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Lots of ‘larger’ community docks have pump outs that may or may not be working You can try Charlie’s charts (not sure if the most recent publication) but it does provide a good breakdown of services in SE AK. Aside from that you could contact harbour masters in each location and see if it’s available and more importantly if it’s in operation. Be aware that if you are here early season most smaller places shut water and pump outs, showers, rest rooms down for the winter and can extend well into April.

Thanks, not planning on getting to Ketchikan until the last week in April or the first of May.

I will look up Charlies Charts.
Old 01-02-2023, 18:14   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Thanks, not planning on getting to Ketchikan until the last week in April or the first of May.

I will look up Charlies Charts.
You should be good then. Looks like the latest edition of CC north to Alaska is from 2015. Generally the services will remain the same but again even new pump outs breakdown and parts can take weeks to get. You’ll also encounter the same issues between Van island and Prince Rupert. Generally best to empty whenever services are available as it may be a while until you find a working one. Most major towns will have a working one but don’t count on smaller communities.
https://www.amazon.ca/Charlies-Chart...07130330&psc=1
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 19:34   #5

I find the Douglass guides more comprehensive than Charlie’s, but carry both because sometimes one has information the other doesn’t. Regardless, by the time it makes it to publication information like the presence (or lack) of a working pumpout is out of date.

The other thing about SE is that it is easy (and to me desirable) to stay completely away from harbors and marinas for as long as the food lasts, easily weeks. Under that setting you will need a way to empty a tank without a pumpout, and a judicious mind to decide when and where that is appropriate. Even a desiccating/composting toilet has the urine disposal question. Alaska is definitely a land where common sense and regulation quietly mix.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 22:35   #6

Yeah i would say Douglass could be good option for you. Good for locals and for internationals.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:20   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Kudos to you for being aware and wanting to 'do the right thing'...

Every cruising boat and crew has system limits they are constantly trying to optimize to extend their time away from civilization. e.g., Water, food, fuel, waste, trash, etc.

It helps to be aware of how long you can sustain each category without requiring onshore facilities. (Fuel docks, markets, water, trash collection, pump-outs, etc...)

It sounds like your vessel's short limit is the holding tank.

With that in mind, be aware that ports are few and far between, let alone those which may (or may not) have functioning pump-out stations. (I'll bet there are fewer than 6 in all of the Alexander Archipellago...)

Your tank size will likely prevent you from making it between ports before having to pump out anyway. And having to port hop is a lousy way to visit SE Alaska!

I highly recommend you develop a strategy that does not require you to make port every few days and enjoy the wilderness you likely came to see.

What do we do? (Since we obviously don't know every functioning pumpout location even though we boat here full time...)

The 3 mile limits are clearly marked on all the charts. Pass through them when you can and pump out legally as you go. (At the same time realize that many straits are not wide enough to enable you to get 3 miles from shore, so plan accordingly.)

I suspect you will absolutely enjoy your visit more with this approach.

Don't let human effluvia control your travel plans!

Wishing you a great adventure.

Cheers, Bill

PS: Another option besides a composting (dessicating) head is an Electroscan waste treatment system. That would allow you to pump out anywhere in Alaska (But not in no discharge zone waters... Like Washington State, etc.)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:16   #8

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

The way the cruise ships treat us third worlders in Alaska you’ll do no wrong just watch the tides and other boats especially grouchy trollers lol make breaks to the outside often it’s nice to get some air look about its narrow there. Most cool places to tie won’t have facilities for pump out but they will have euro priced watery diesel with performance enhancing rust particles.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:27   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Hello Renegde_Sailor,

I don't know how to answer your question. If I was you, I wouldn't think about pump out stations. I'd just kind of look around and see what other people are doing. Its a different world here compared to the lower 48.

Good luck

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, pump