Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Reco's for sailing clubs in San Diego?

Hi Ya All...

Well, I have taken another step towards a dream of boat ownership, we left Corporate America (at least for awhile) and relocated to San Diego... now close enough to the water to have my boat :-)

Still, need to make the numbers work and that may take a bit longer... so in the mean time I would like to get involved in the Sailing scene around SD and wondered if any of the fine members here had some suggestions...

I checked out the SD Yacht Club but looks like I would have a hard time getting involved there as you have to be recommended by a member and I know about 2 people here in SD now, neither have a boat...

So if you are aware of some clubs around where a guy could mess around with boats and learn a bit more... I would greatly appreciate the guidance.

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47   #2

Boat: Hunter 356
Re: Reco's for sailing clubs in San Diego?

I live in San Diego and would recommend sailing in Mission Bay. I used to keep my boat on a mooring there (they have a 25ft limit but it is cheap) and the vibe is great. A lot of people sailing around and happy to talk. The yacht club there also has a great race scene - check out mbyc.org. San Diego bay is great too but in Mission bay there are less commercial or Navy vessel distractions and it usually takes longer to make it out to the Pacific. What size boat do you have or anticipate buying?
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I would highly recommend Venture Yacht club, they are a friendly, fun group. I sailed with them while I was there with my West wight Potter. I felt very welcome and really enjoyed being with them. I'm sure they'd welcome crew until you get a boat.

Venture Yacht Club of San Diego - A Club for Trailer Sailors
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46   #4

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Thanks guys... I will check out the Venture group and Mission Bay does look like the place to be from just a walking around prospective... we just got here 3 weeks ago so still figuring the place out....

Plans are to still get a 42-45ft CAT... but really like the new 48' Leopard... probably out of our price range thou...

Thanks again..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Thanks guys... I will check out the Venture group and Mission Bay does look like the place to be from just a walking around prospective... we just got here 3 weeks ago so still figuring the place out....

Plans are to still get a 42-45ft CAT... but really like the new 48' Leopard... probably out of our price range thou...

Thanks again..

Cheers
There is a bridge to contend with in the inner section of Mission Bay that would limit you to a smaller craft. There are a couple of nice marinas in the outer bay that don't deal with the bridge but you are looking at just exiting the inlet and sailing in the ocean.

I don't know how much experience you have or your sailing goals but with a big cat I would stick with San Diego Bay. The 44 Leopard is a nice vessel -certainly enjoy the stability and speed but for me there are too many expensive systems to break! I didn't even know they made a 48.
Old 01-08-2013, 13:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post

Thanks again..

Cheers
OH and the Mission Bay Yacht club is within the bridge restriction so it is probably not your best bet.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:01   #7

Boat: Union 32 cutter.
Try sailing san diego on meetup
SV MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23   #8

Have you checked local sailing magazines? "The Log" comes to mind. Plus Google.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, san diego