Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 08:24   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

la violencia in mexico has been going on for many decades thankyou usa for funding drug and gun wars. worked out well, didnt it..hahahaha
you look for issues you will find em. you live with awareness and pay attention you should be fine, just like any where on planet.
there are no guarantees in life.
you dont wanna cruise mexico--dont come here.
you do--you will and nothing will stop you.
guam may be a better place for those of you not wishing to learn spanish.
one thing about mexico many of you may not like is they do speak spanish and all legal work is done in spanish. funny thing about that. they also wear clothing that covers for doing business. that means ladies wear sleeved shirts when having pix taken for official business inclusive of extended visas. they also like real shoes not flip flop slippers. long pants on males and not tank tops. look decent. have respect.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:53   #47

The overwhelming feature of Mexico that never seems to change is their tolerance and acceptance of corruption. It really is just the way things are done, and they don't think it is evil or wrong any more than we think a tip is a bribe.

When I worked on the border, you quickly learned not to arrest every Mexican that tried to bribe you. It just takes them a while to adjust to non-fee based law enforcement.

The extreme violence problem is relatively new, and as noted by many, is partially, but not totally (remember Pancho Villa for instance) a direct product of our insatiable desire for mind altering drugs in the US. At this point, I'm not sure how you reset that clock, though. Mexico provides most of the methamphetamine, cocaine and pharmaceuticals (usually counterfeits, cloned in clandestine labs) being illegally consumed in the US. I'm not sure legalizing meth or coke (the pharmaceuticals already being technically legal but regulated) is a real solution.

It's a shame, really.
Old 25-08-2017, 15:49   #48

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

This thread has really gone off topic, that being so I feel free to pursue the direction it's taken, but first my opinion to the original question which is, The safety from
" pirates both in the Pacific along the Baja California and Baja California Sur coasts and in the Sea of Cortez." Yes, you are quite safe, I would put in low in my list of concerns; the inherent risks of coastal and open water sailing should be of prime concern as these pose the greater danger. Look at your ins. policy, check premiums for the different risks, that may answer question, they're v. good at assessing risks; cold, calculating bottom line is their only interest,so it's a fair indicator to gage your degree of concern.
Now off topic: As to, "the overwhelming feature of Mexico that never seems to change is their tolerance and acceptance of corruption." I think this is a bit naive w/out recognizing this is also true in the USA, the difference being, in Mexico it's pretty much up front whereas in the US it's subtle and takes place more often in the upper echelons of power, although regular folks may be recognizing this as seen from the last presidential elections,i.e., never mind who won, it was a total rejection of the choices given by established political parties, they weren't going to hold their noses anymore and vote for the least objectionable .
See what happens when ya go off topic !
Old 25-08-2017, 15:56   #49

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
I think this is a bit naive w/out recognizing this is also true in the USA, the difference being, in Mexico it's pretty much up front whereas in the US it's subtle and takes place more often in the upper echelons of power, although regular folks may be recognizing this as seen from the last presidential elections,i.e., never mind who won, it was a total rejection of the choices given by established political parties, they weren't going to hold their noses anymore and vote for the least objectionable .
See what happens when ya go off topic !
I've always said the US markets their corruption better. It's nice and clean done over a glass of wine in a back room power meeting.

Frankly, as I'm not likely to be invited to the club, I prefer my corruption on the street. Let me pay the policeman a percentage of the fine right then and there. I know it will go to some good (food for his kids, jewelry for the mistress) vs lining some fat cat's trust fund.
Old 25-08-2017, 16:17   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I've always said the US markets their corruption better. It's nice and clean done over a glass of wine in a back room power meeting.

Frankly, as I'm not likely to be invited to the club, I prefer my corruption on the street. Let me pay the policeman a percentage of the fine right then and there. I know it will go to some good (food for his kids, jewelry for the mistress) vs lining some fat cat's trust fund.
The problem with that thinking is that the guy with his hand out, that you so readily stuff, is that much more likely to get big eyes at the flashy offers from cartels and others with a lot more money than you. Who loses....duh!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 14:25   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
The problem with that thinking is that the guy with his hand out, that you so readily stuff, is that much more likely to get big eyes at the flashy offers from cartels and others with a lot more money than you. Who loses....duh!
I don't share your opinion, nor do I see evidence that it is the case.
Old 26-08-2017, 14:37   #52

Quote:
I don't share your opinion, nor do I see evidence that it is the case.
It's called obvious....and being oblivious to the obvious doesn't make it untrue. Much like most the voters in America right now. And the tourists in a lot of foreign countries.
Old 26-08-2017, 15:32   #53

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

This is is an interesting thread. I've been cruising Baja for 4 years now without incident. My boats have been based in La Paz, but I have done one trip down and three "Bashes" back aboard boats. I just drove down to La Paz and back, 1100 miles each way, last month by myself. Totally safe and relaxed, just like my other experiences down there.

I have heard gunfire twice from the Marina in La Paz, in the middle of the night. Both times were incidents of Mexican PD trying to pull over cartel folks. Yes, the narco violence has increased, but I still feel safer down there than I do here in Los Angeles. Listen to Zee, she knows what she is talking about. Ill save you a spot in the anchorage(s).

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 15:48   #54

Bill, I do appreciate Zee and value her input. But ignoring the growing violence around doesn't make it any less dangerous. Just like investment warnings - past experience is no guarantee of future performance. Everyone has a story like yours until the day they become a victim. Just a suggestion to stay aware and not be complacent. Most victims were surprised.....
Old 26-08-2017, 15:49   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Perhaps it will make the 5 cruise ships on some days, go somewhere else. Cabo is completly nuts, Let the drug wars chase off all the stupid gringos for a while.
We usually stay aboard ship at port unless leaving for home. Having already visited most ports in years' past, the ship is now the primary destination.
Old 26-08-2017, 17:27   #56

Las Vegas covers up most violent acts committed on the strip so as not to alarm the tourists. That place is order of magnitudes shadier than Puerto Vallarta.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 19:12   #57

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkenyon View Post
The grumblings were second hand--from a prospective crew mate...
Why promote baseless fear mongering?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 20:12   #58

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I lived in Mexico for 3 years. Had more issues in Los Angeles and Lad Vegas. I can see "one off" issues near Rosarito as described but they are not systematic (like Somalia or Chicago)
Downtown Chicago and many parts of the city are glorious urban areas - plenty of nightlife, good restaurants, music, excellent museums. I strongly recommend staying out of some areas on the west and south sides - but blanket statements about systematic problems covering entire American cities are untrue.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 21:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
It's called obvious....and being oblivious to the obvious doesn't make it untrue. Much like most the voters in America right now. And the tourists in a lot of foreign countries.
Nor does it make it true, just saying, you're not making your case.
Your OPINION,"The problem with that thinking is that the guy with his hand out, that you so readily stuff, is that much more likely to get big eyes at the flashy offers from cartels and others with a lot more money than you. Who loses....duh!", is just that,i.e.,OPINION.
Saying it's "obvious", as in self evident, that a guy will jump on the cartel wagon upon seeing what one gets from small bribes is only supported by your opinion, not logic.
The deal with bribes cannot be answered with a blanket statement as it is v. much situational and subjective in manner; an individual will balance what one ideally should do with what they perceive they need to do, I believe that's the reality.
Old 27-08-2017, 05:51   #60

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
The deal with bribes cannot be answered with a blanket statement as it is v. much situational and subjective in manner; an individual will balance what one ideally should do with what they perceive they need to do, I believe that's the reality.
You are defending the indefensible. In a corrupt hand out system, the winner is the one with most money. In this case; the unlawful citizen (dealer, narco, robber, or whatever he is) will likely be the one with more money. Is it so hard to understand? It is not "an opinion". It's a fact of life.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy, safety, water