Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 14:01   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

mikereed those surfers were advised to remain on well travelled roads and not camp there guess what they ignored. oopsy donot ignore local knowledge.
a few years ago a well polished and shiny catamaran anchored in a well used bay and were boarded and robbed. donot advertise wealth. they did. they advertised without realizing that shiny and many toys is a dead giveaway of money. oops.
it doesnot pay to advertise. funny how that works. only thing attracted to shine is rats.
local knowledge is important to be able to access and follow. is like teling someone not to go thru east l a, as there is no fuel and they run out in east la as they ignored your information

i also know many who drive by car inland in summer for vacation from boat..is not a bad thing..just use brains. mexico is gorgeous and not all of mexico is border town thinking and border town violence.
but--please oh please stay the hell out of mexico so we can enjoy it here without all you alls' intrinsic negativity
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 14:12   #77

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

A couple of cruisers were attacked right in front Philo's in La Cruz not that long ago. Lat 38 had the story.
I stand corrected, although, not to put too fine a point on it, the victims were RV'ers and they were carjacked.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 15:19   #78

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I stand corrected, although, not to put too fine a point on it, the victims were RV'ers and they were carjacked.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
No I stand corrected. Sorry.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 15:47   #79

[QUOTE=Guy;2465499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
of Rosarito, I cannot think of a single incident in which a cruiser has been threatened or harmed in Mexico. /QUOTE]

A couple of cruisers were attacked right in front Philo's in La Cruz not that long ago. Lat 38 had the story.
Must have been a while ago cuz Philo kicked the bucket and the bar is closed.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:02   #80

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don't know who told you tourists are protected from the cartels. They may only occasionally murder tourists, but I can give you a lot of examples of it happening. Some of the scenarios I have seen.
1. Tourist starts argument with cartel guy in bar, in Acapulco, not knowing he is arguing with a sociopathic killer (this happened to a student from New Orleans. They took him outside, beat him, and ran over him with a car repeatedly. His death certificate said he was killed in a traffic accident.
2. Tourist is mistaken for a police officer. This happened to a tourist from Fort Worth, who walked into a bar frequented by cartel members. His bad luck, he looked exactly like a DEA agent who the cartel had targeted. He simply disappeared and was only found later when the DEA started receiving information from informants because, they, too, believed a DEA agent had been killed. He was just listed as a missing person until months later when the DEA dug him (and the friend who just had the bad luck to walk in with him) up, (looking for his look alike agent who the cartel had finally kidnapped and killed).
3. Tourist is mistaken for a member of rival cartel (this usually only happens to tourist who are Spanish in appearance, but this one involved a tourist who looked very much like Edgar Valdez Villereal, whose nickname was La Barbie because of his Caucasian looks. The Los Zetas didn't bother to check his ID before trying to kill him (luckily, he was in an armored car and survived).
4. Completely random. Tourist college student down in Matamoros in 1989 for spring break, who is kidnapped, cut up, cooked and eaten (yes, eaten), by a drug cartel as part of a satanic ritual. Bet, you didn't hear about that one in the newspapers, did you? It finally came out, months later, as a by line. To their credit, even some of the other cartel members even thought this was pretty far gone (as evidenced by their wiretap conversations). They found 14 other partially dismembered bodies at the site. No one knows how many missing people they actually ate.

I could go on and on. Yeah, Mexico probably isn't more dangerous than a lot of American cities like Detroit, New Orleans or Chicago. But, I wonder why people go there for vacation, too.

Again, violence doesn't really affect you, until it affects you. But, the idea that if there was a lot of violence in Mexico against tourists, it would be reported, is being more naïve than any adult wanting to go there has a right to be. Corruption just isn't about money. It's a way of life, including the way the media is affected and works.

It's everybody's own decision about where they go and what they do. But, the best decisions are the ones made with the most information.
I think you may be too subtle with your satire above, some folks may take it seriously as some do with publications as the National Inquirer and the like, although we have a pretty sophisticated group, so to those, please forgive me if I sound condescending which is not my intention , to others please enjoy the rare piece of satire for which it is.
Old 27-08-2017, 16:24   #81

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Almost every one of these deaths was accidental & most were drownings or water related. Very few actual crimes.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:30   #82

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Must have been a while ago cuz Philo kicked the bucket and the bar is closed.
The pizza was really bad anyway.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 16:37   #83

Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Downtown Chicago and many parts of the city are glorious urban areas - plenty of nightlife, good restaurants, music, excellent museums. I strongly recommend staying out of some areas on the west and south sides - but blanket statements about systematic problems covering entire American cities are untrue.

Andy

Our body count so far this year is 335 Chicagoans killed on a basis of 1,500 shootings. If your point is there are safer neighborhoods in Chicago well that's the same thing the "Mexico relatively safe" posters are saying about safer neighborhoods (and activities) in Mexico that they have observed.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html

Contrast: maybe a dozen American soldiers had died in Afghanistan this year (online sources differ slightly).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....eaths.amp.html

Actually doing something about the problem in Chicago? Step 1 is eliminating the "Special Tax Free Zone for Cannabis Cash Sales" in Illinois which - let's be honest - right now this "zone" covers the entire prairie state. Revoking what is effectively tax exempt status for IL pot dealers would immediately cut say 100 murders and 500 shootings from the annual totals.

Note: Exactly ZERO Colorado pot retail establishments murdered someone during a drug sale this year (I don't actually have a reference for that stat but let's just take it on faith). Feel free to set those new tax rates nice and high.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:23   #84

People are just reporting their personal experiences and what they think they know about everything else. That is only good as far as it goes. The reporting has been kept subdued intentionally to avoid mass exodus of tourism.
Now there are a few on the forum that know everything there is about a couple subjects closing their minds to any input no matter how accurate or useful to the discussion. You'll never change their mind about it with any facts or data. Zee just does it more pleasantly and entertainingly than others. No point arguing.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:48   #85

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

[QUOTE=SecondBase;2465654]Andy

Our body count so far this year is 335 Chicagoans killed on a basis of 1,500 shootings. If your point is there are safer neighborhoods in Chicago well that's the same thing the "Mexico relatively safe" posters are saying about safer neighborhoods (and activities) in Mexico that they have observed.

That's exactly what I'm saying - paralleling Zeehag some. Being situationally aware is important, don't be an a**hole on somebody else's turf, lay low and run when you can, fight when you have no other choice.

We can all climb into our caves, lock the gate, and shoot first - or go out (intelligently) and enjoy life while we're still walking and breathing.

I know what I prefer doing.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 00:09   #86

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

[QUOTE=AndyEss;2465696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Andy

That's exactly what I'm saying - paralleling Zeehag some. Being situationally aware is important, don't be an a**hole on somebody else's turf, lay low and run when you can, fight when you have no other choice.

We can all climb into our caves, lock the gate, and shoot first - or go out (intelligently) and enjoy life while we're still walking and breathing.

I know what I prefer doing.
Amen brother ! Next subject: Gated communities, what do they portend ? Never mind, I'm outta here, it's been an interesting thread.

Tags
piracy, safety, water