Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2012, 23:32   #1

Sailing route in the Philippines

I’m an author looking to research sailing in the Philippines for a novel I’m commissioned to write in 2013. I’m going out to the Philippines on a 4-week research trip from mid-Feb to mid-March, and before then, I'm gathering information about: typical sailing routes in Philippines, anchorages, challenges, highlights. I would absolutely LOVE to interview anyone who has sailed there – whether by phone/email/Skype or in person (if you're anywhere near south coast of England, or indeed in the Philippines during Feb/Mar).

I’d also be very grateful for any suggestions of book or blogs about sailing in the Philippines. Thanks so much!

Lucy Clarke
Louclarke81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 03:24   #2

Boat: Still doing research...
Re: Sailing route in the Philippines

Have a look at this site - The global site for cruising sailors — Noonsite

As I too would like to embark on a sail to the Philippines, I've been doing a bit of research on best passages from Australia.

A lot seems to suggest sailing around the east coast of Papua New Guinea (via New Britain Island, Bizmark Sea), Palau, then the central islands of Philippines (Visaya).

This is to avoid possible pirates around Indonesia.

I haven't finalised my inevitable passage yet. Still a long way to go, but the above site has a lot of tips (including best port(s) in Philippines to get your arrival paperwork handled etc).

I hope that helps.
Old 27-12-2012, 03:40   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome to CF Lucy…. There are many members who are familiar with sailing the Philippines, including myself, as I live there.

A friend of mine Bruce Curran did a wonderfully articulate book, full of the reasons why different routes are preferred during the different seasons.
Combing the Coral Carpet - Volume 1 by Bruce Curran - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Bruce also is involved in Banca Safaris, so you may contact him this way.
Banca Safaris Philippine Cruise : Who We Are
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 23:26   #4

Pelagic: thank you so much for the link to 'Combing the Coral Carpet' - sounds like it is exactly what I'm after and I'll definitely get myself a copy (and hope to get in touch with Bruce too).

Hammer: thanks also for your advice about Noonsite. The route you suggest sounds great and I'll certainly investigate this further.

Thank you both for your time - much appreciated.
Lucy x
Louclarke81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 07:56   #5

We are now sailing in the PI too. Given deep enough water and reasonable weather any route is fine. Ours was random, whimsical, worked out fine. As soon as I get the bottom painted we are heading out again. Message me for info.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 08:27   #6

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Another possible resource is Nigel Roberts, a well known boat builder who has a resort (Tongo Sail Inn) and a boatyard near Tambobo Bay on the southern tip of Negros about 50 km south of Dumaguete. He is usually at the Why Not, a restaurant on the Boulevard near the sea in Dumaguete M-W-F between 10am and 2pm. There are often 30-40 yachts in the bay with a number of others who have homes in the area - many are experienced sailors who have been in the PI for many years while others are passing through.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, route, sailing